SB1 (2023) - Criminal Law - Wearing, Carrying, or Transporting Firearms - Restrictions (Gun Safety Act of 2023)

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 2112rws

Jan 18, 2013
    Where do the carry laws in NY and NJ stand right now since they are similar to SB1 in MD? I believe they were challenged in court but I don't remember what happened with that. I would think this may give us an idea what may happen here.

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    Where do the carry laws in NY and NJ stand right now since they are similar to SB1 in MD? I believe they were challenged in court but I don't remember what happened with that. I would think this may give us an idea what may happen here.
    NJ was hit with a restraining order

NY was and then the 2CA removed it. It was heard before 2CA last month I think. So waiting on a decision from that likely unfriendly circuit.

Twist

Feb 17, 2023
    Annapolis
    SD necessity has become more and more common. Or haven't you been keeping up with the local news? Drug dealer gunfights and drug related shootings in Annapolis? The Bad Guys don't wear signs, you know. How lucky do you feel?

Car jackings at Arundel Mills. Car jackings at local gas stations and hardware store in Annapolis just a couple of miles from where these idiots are making these laws. So yeah, that's why I carry always. And hey, everyone's calculus will be different for whether to carry in to the movie theater or Maryland Hall concert. My opinion expressed a few posts ago was about the value of anyone beating their chest about flaunting the law. Just you do you without yammering about it and isn't that kind of a part of concealed means concealed?

I'll bet you lunch at the place of your choosing in Annapolis that lawmakers on both sides of this issue read this forum and specifically this thread.

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    Car jackings at Arundel Mills. Car jackings at local gas stations and hardware store in Annapolis just a couple of miles from where these idiots are making these laws. So yeah, that's why I carry always. And hey, everyone's calculus will be different for whether to carry in to the movie theater or Maryland Hall concert. My opinion expressed a few posts ago was about the value of anyone beating their chest about flaunting the law. Just you do you without yammering about it and isn't that kind of a part of concealed means concealed?
    For someone who embraces the concept of Constitutional freedom (including 1A), that's an unusual position to take, IMO.
    I'll bet you lunch at the place of your choosing in Annapolis that lawmakers on both sides of this issue read this forum and specifically this thread.
    The last time I "lunched" in Annapolis was five years ago.

And FYI: I'm an OFWG retiree, and therefore an official minority and target living in PG County.

Oh, and did you perchance attend the Lynching Commemoration Ceremony in Fort Washington? If you did, did you carry?

Twist

Feb 17, 2023
    Annapolis
    So do I. And it's nobody's business whether I carry concealed or not. Including yours.
    Hey, don't get me wrong. I wasn't expressing an opinion about flaunting these new laws. I'd never try to say anyone else should live by my values. Sorry if it came across that way. I was just merely pointing out there might be consequences of boasting about it.

Boondock Saint

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2008
    White Marsh
    Okay but real talk, who is suing them and where do I send my money?

Consider donating to the litigation fund, specifically: https://www.paypal.com/donate/?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=AV9BENPTZCKEU&ssrt=1681317081058

308Scout

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 27, 2020
    Washington County
    Okay but real talk, who is suing them and where do I send my money?
    Donate to MSI:

Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    I'm pretty sure that our founding fathers would have been familiar with carrying into eating establishments that served adult beverages. Given that as the test for constructionist interpretation of the 2nd amendment I'm not sure how that will hold up to the legal challenge.

I get it that a lot of us have very strong feelings about our 2A right but man, I'm not sure all this puffery about ignoring Maryland laws, as horrible and misguided as they are, is going to cast us in the best light going forward to defend those rights.

Accidental reveal of concealment in a restaurant that serves alcohol could land you in a real pickle. Yeah, being a victim is way worse but which is more likely - having to defend your family while enjoying a night out on a crab deck? Or, having your grandkid or passing patron rub against you sitting on that crab deck bench exposing your 4 o'clock carry to someone that will cause you trouble? Nah, that'll never happen to you right?

Given that the vast majority of us will live our entire lives and never have a SD event, is the risk of flaunting these horrible Maryland laws worth protection you feel? Will folks getting caught violating the "stupid places" laws be fodder for making more stupid laws?
    We must each make our own judgments. I will not fault you if you relinquish you rights based on a clearly unconstitutional law... I don't fault others if they come to a different conclusion.

scottyfz6

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2018

Consider donating to the litigation fund, specifically: https://www.paypal.com/donate/?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=AV9BENPTZCKEU&ssrt=1681317081058
    Yup its very easy just took me less than 30 seconds.

anmIH85.png

eruby

Confederate Jew
    MDS Supporter
    Hey, don't get me wrong. I wasn't expressing an opinion about flaunting these new laws. I'd never try to say anyone else should live by my values. Sorry if it came across that way. I was just merely pointing out there might be consequences of boasting about it.
    Thank you for being a supporter of MDS

Perhaps post in the Introductions forum so we can know you better

I don't consider myself boasting or bragging when I say EBMD, I'm just a tired old guy that has fought the fight for over 15 years, and I'm done cow towing to Statist tyrants

sleev-les

Prestige Worldwide
    Dec 27, 2012
    Edgewater, MD
    Governor Moore said he'll sign SB 1:

Like many Republican lawmakers, McCray cited concerns about the constitutionality of the legislation. When asked about the potential legal challenges, Gov. Wes Moore said Attorney General Anthony Brown had confidence in the plan. Moore also said he will sign the legislation.
    I love this quote:

“My administration will remain laser-focused on cleaning up the streets of Baltimore and fighting for the residents of this city who are no longer willing to tolerate the level of gun violence we have seen over the past eight years,” Bates said.

He is blaming Hogan for the failures that the Democrat party own. Nothing has changed to lessen crime. Always the left. Always word vomit. Attack the law abiding and tax us all to hell. That is the Dem way.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Regarding private property exclusions, I wonder if the property owner has to give explicit permission on each and every occasion or if it's perpetual based on one grant. And if/how it can be revoked. And what happens if the permit holder says she was given explicit permission, but the property owner disputes the claim? What then?

This law is so, so bad. It's bad from virtually every angle from which one exams it.
    He said, she said is what happens. Unless property is posted or a written agreement is signed.

chilipeppermaniac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    I love this quote:

“My administration will remain laser-focused on cleaning up the streets of Baltimore and fighting for the residents of this city who are no longer willing to tolerate the level of gun violence we have seen over the past eight years,” Bates said.

He is blaming Hogan for the failures that the Democrat party own. Nothing has changed to lessen crime. Always the left. Always word vomit. Attack the law abiding and tax us all to hell. That is the Dem way.
    Yeah, right after this...

“There’s no reason for people to bring firearms into hospitals, and churches and schools,” Moore said, adding tackling the violence problem can be an “all of the above” approach.

“We’ve got to address the issue of the guns that continue to flood our neighborhoods,” he added.

There were bills introduced during the session that supporters said would have addressed illegal guns; the Violent Firearms Offender Act was pushed off again this year, a bill seeking to crack down on repeat violent offenders and repeat trigger pullers, though the legislation failed to gain traction. Another bill seeking to make the theft of a firearm a felony didn’t move out of committee.

Jimgoespewpew

Ultimate Member
    Mar 6, 2021
    Terlingua
    Yeah, right after this...

“There’s no reason for people to bring firearms into hospitals, and churches and schools,” Moore said, adding tackling the violence problem can be an “all of the above” approach.

“We’ve got to address the issue of the guns that continue to flood our neighborhoods,” he added.

There were bills introduced during the session that supporters said would have addressed illegal guns; the Violent Firearms Offender Act was pushed off again this year, a bill seeking to crack down on repeat violent offenders and repeat trigger pullers, though the legislation failed to gain traction. Another bill seeking to make the theft of a firearm a felony didn’t move out of committee.
    And that is just more fodder for making their true intentions glaringly obvious. To disarm their opponents, not the criminals who vote for them. Fúck all democrats, liberals, leftists or whatever. Fúck them and their whore mothers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ramseye

Latest threads

Top Bottom