SB1 (2023) - Criminal Law - Wearing, Carrying, or Transporting Firearms - Restrictions (Gun Safety Act of 2023)

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    No.
    I'd have to dig to find it but legislators and other Govt officials have limited exposure (protections) against such liabilities and from being taken to court if the suit is about legislation they passed.
    I think Fraud, Waste and Abuse allegations are exempt from Sovereign Immunity.

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    It doesn't set precedent because we are in different circuits, but it is something that Mark/litigants can point to. But other court decisions are not binding on courts in different circuits. But judges do read.
    It is persuasive precedent only, not binding. Nonetheless district courts in other circuits give weight to a court of appeals decisions from other circuits

ant92083

Lord Of Summer
    Jul 15, 2016
    MD
    I used to post here a while back but life got in the way, and by life I mean the U.S. military. I am now separated, no more government affiliation and I do private contracting now.

1. Simply don't comply, civil disobedience is an option. If you get arrested, we need a bond system like Kamal and the libtards have for asswipes that burn cities down.
    2. Hit them where it hurts, if LEO are willing to enforce this un-constitutional law then they are more a part of the problem than the solution, dox the shit out of them, legally. They are public officials, their expectation of privacy is legally gone. Shame the **** out of them wherever they go. If you are a business owner, refuse their money and tell them to pound sand go elsewhere.
    3. Research every member of the Senate/House in the Maryland legislature. Find the businesses they are associated with and hurt them in the wallet.
    4. Protest, sitting at home or saying I have a job and I can't leave work is no longer an option. "I'm scared" is no longer an option, you don't know what you have lost till it is gone. We literally have soy boys that are willing to burn down cities to get their message across. It's about time we do the same (peacefully). Make Annapolis hear your voices. And forget getting permits. BLM didn't need one, so neither do we.
    5. Stop clinging onto the old ways. Get out and rock that ******* vote. Legally attend poll stations, get those mail in ballots signed, get those ballots harvested and to the voting drop off points. We can no longer not fight with the old rules, asymmetric warfare exists for a reason. We need the libertarian/independent vote. Make friends with them, get them on your side. Some of this is a culture war as well.
    6. Keep the faith, keep the infighting out, if we can't keep it together here then we have already lost. I've read quite a few posts on here deriding each other about the legislation.
    7. Opsec, don't post things you are worried about coming back to you on insecure communication channels. Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Whatsapp (owned by FB), telegram (GCHQ implant) are not to be trusted. Signal or bust. E2E encryption built in and comply with zero requests from DOJ and down. The comms are only as strong as the person with positive possession of the phone. Add a pin to your iphone or android, refuse all requests to unlock by law enforcement if necessary. Also don't use gmail for anything sensitive. Use Protonmail hosted outside the US that doesn't comply with DOJ or US Gov't requests. Stop downloading garbage ass apps from the digital stores that will turn your phone into a third listening device.

I'd like to meet up with more like minded individuals now that I have an abundance of free time to combat SB1 and the disease called liberalism.

MMGA, Make Maryland Great Again.

Some Guy

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 26, 2017
    Who would give permission to the people who live in Public housing?
    This is an excellent question that demonstrates yet another reason why SB-1 is Jim Crow BS. It discriminates directly against low-income persons, most of whom are minorities and people of color. SB-1 is racist tripe and it's rife with violations of the 14th and 2nd violations.

Lafayette

Not that kind of doctor
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2021
    Maryland
    This is an excellent question that demonstrates yet another reason why SB-1 is Jim Crow BS. It discriminates directly against low-income persons, most of whom are minorities and people of color. SB-1 is racist tripe and it's rife with violations of the 14th and 2nd violations.
    It’s not Maryland (and not binding here) but Delaware’s Supreme Court found such a bar unconstitutional under their state constitution. Volokh seems to think the reasoning might be more broadly applicable though.

https://reason.com/volokh/2019/04/13/the-second-amendment-in-public-housing/

Some Guy

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 26, 2017
    It’s not Maryland (and not binding here) but Delaware’s Supreme Court found such a bar unconstitutional under their state constitution. Volokh seems to think the reasoning might be more broadly applicable though.

https://reason.com/volokh/2019/04/13/the-second-amendment-in-public-housing/
    Good cite. Thank you.

SB-1 will probably compel public housing residents to request in writing to the State that they be allowed to allow firearms in their residences. I would guess that >90% of public housing residents are racial minorities. SB-1 is absolutely a racist law at its core.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    I used to post here a while back but life got in the way, and by life I mean the U.S. military. I am now separated, no more government affiliation and I do private contracting now.

1. Simply don't comply, civil disobedience is an option. If you get arrested, we need a bond system like Kamal and the libtards have for asswipes that burn cities down.
    2. Hit them where it hurts, if LEO are willing to enforce this un-constitutional law then they are more a part of the problem than the solution, dox the shit out of them, legally. They are public officials, their expectation of privacy is legally gone. Shame the **** out of them wherever they go. If you are a business owner, refuse their money and tell them to pound sand go elsewhere.
    3. Research every member of the Senate/House in the Maryland legislature. Find the businesses they are associated with and hurt them in the wallet.
    4. Protest, sitting at home or saying I have a job and I can't leave work is no longer an option. "I'm scared" is no longer an option, you don't know what you have lost till it is gone. We literally have soy boys that are willing to burn down cities to get their message across. It's about time we do the same (peacefully). Make Annapolis hear your voices. And forget getting permits. BLM didn't need one, so neither do we.
    5. Stop clinging onto the old ways. Get out and rock that ******* vote. Legally attend poll stations, get those mail in ballots signed, get those ballots harvested and to the voting drop off points. We can no longer not fight with the old rules, asymmetric warfare exists for a reason. We need the libertarian/independent vote. Make friends with them, get them on your side. Some of this is a culture war as well.
    6. Keep the faith, keep the infighting out, if we can't keep it together here then we have already lost. I've read quite a few posts on here deriding each other about the legislation.
    7. Opsec, don't post things you are worried about coming back to you on insecure communication channels. Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Whatsapp (owned by FB), telegram (GCHQ implant) are not to be trusted. Signal or bust. E2E encryption built in and comply with zero requests from DOJ and down. The comms are only as strong as the person with positive possession of the phone. Add a pin to your iphone or android, refuse all requests to unlock by law enforcement if necessary. Also don't use gmail for anything sensitive. Use Protonmail hosted outside the US that doesn't comply with DOJ or US Gov't requests. Stop downloading garbage ass apps from the digital stores that will turn your phone into a third listening device.

I'd like to meet up with more like minded individuals now that I have an abundance of free time to combat SB1 and the disease called liberalism.

MMGA, Make Maryland Great Again.
    Organisation is critical. If civil disobedience is to be effective, communication via phone trees to rally support, creating some sort of bond fund would be useful.

Of course, here in MD the MSP has been known for infiltrating various organisations - they even infiltrated an anti-Nuke organisation a decade or so ago. This both breeds distrust and makes serious resistance problematic. Couple that with the general tendency toward individualism that underlies your Conservative (I just want them to leave me the fvck alone) type of person, and you fail to generate the mob enthusiasm found in your Prog mentality.

Figure that any serious attempt to create a widespread organisational structure will be heavily supported by the FBI and its informants, so at least we'd get a bump in membership.

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    Organisation is critical. If civil disobedience is to be effective, communication via phone trees to rally support, creating some sort of bond fund would be useful.

Of course, here in MD the MSP has been known for infiltrating various organisations - they even infiltrated an anti-Nuke organisation a decade or so ago. This both breeds distrust and makes serious resistance problematic. Couple that with the general tendency toward individualism that underlies your Conservative (I just want them to leave me the fvck alone) type of person, and you fail to generate the mob enthusiasm found in your Prog mentality.

Figure that any serious attempt to create a widespread organisational structure will be heavily supported by the FBI and its informants, so at least we'd get a bump in membership.
    Nailed it. Just look at the turnout for the 2A Rallies and Man Up Mondays. More manpower support from Maryland is given to Virginia rallies than MSI, and no there's attempt to gain reciprocal support. It's baffling.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Good cite. Thank you.

SB-1 will probably compel public housing residents to request in writing to the State that they be allowed to allow firearms in their residences. I would guess that >90% of public housing residents are racial minorities. SB-1 is absolutely a racist law at its core.
    If it is publicly owned housing, there is nothing they need to request. The explicit permission requirement is for PRIVATE property.

There are a number of public property locations that are not considered sensitive in SB1. Last I checked, public libraries are sensitive places, and they aren't private property. So you don't have to request permission to go in to one. They dropped fairgrounds, so you don't need to request permission to go into any county/state fairgrounds buildings. Etc. If public housing is owned by the city or county, and not section 8 (private) housing paid for with a voucher, then no permission needed. But just because you pay for it with a section 8 voucher, doesn't make housing public. Just keep that in mind. And if it is private property, rented by the government...well then I don't know what the answer is. Probably explicit permission under this law.

Some Guy

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 26, 2017
    If it is publicly owned housing, there is nothing they need to request. The explicit permission requirement is for PRIVATE property.

There are a number of public property locations that are not considered sensitive in SB1. Last I checked, public libraries are sensitive places, and they aren't private property. So you don't have to request permission to go in to one. They dropped fairgrounds, so you don't need to request permission to go into any county/state fairgrounds buildings. Etc. If public housing is owned by the city or county, and not section 8 (private) housing paid for with a voucher, then no permission needed. But just because you pay for it with a section 8 voucher, doesn't make housing public. Just keep that in mind. And if it is private property, rented by the government...well then I don't know what the answer is. Probably explicit permission under this law.
    I'm assuming the government is going to restrict the right to self-defense outside (and inside) the home as much as possible. Sadly the Maryland government has repeatedly demonstrated that they will not follow court rulings and established law, let alone the plain text meaning of the Second Amendment. .gov doesn't care about these rights, or those who advocate for their preservation.

That said, I think the government will try to consider some publicly owned housing government infrastructure, especially if there is a government office in the same building, like a management office of some kind, and/or if government personnel or contractors are visiting the sites. I believe this could also extend to a maintenance office or if there's a maintenance team providing common services on contract or directly by .gov. Or perhaps if there's common HVAC, electrical, plumbing or telecom rooms, or similar the government might try to claim the site as government infrastructure.

You raise a good point about private property rented by the government for housing, as well as about section 8 housing paid with a voucher. In the case of section 8 housing, is it the case that the actually building owner must be asked if carry is permissible - not the tenant?

I can see the state attempting to limit section 8 eligible properties to those that refuse to provide consent to anyone to carry on premise.

SB-1 most adversely impacts lower-income persons, and the majority of such persons are people of color. It's Jim Crowe BS and tragic that it was passed.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Would have been a great question to ask his excellently during debate.

I hope MSPLD and AG office lawyers are worried about it now. Could be a monster in court.

RFBfromDE

W&C MD, UT, PA
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 21, 2022
    The Land of Pleasant Living
    SB-1 most adversely impacts lower-income persons, and the majority of such persons are people of color. It's Jim Crowe BS and tragic that it was passed.
    If you're racist. and you know it, SB-1.

If you're racist. and you know it, and you really want to show it;

:clap:

Last edited:

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Nailed it. Just look at the turnout for the 2A Rallies and Man Up Mondays. More manpower support from Maryland is given to Virginia rallies than MSI, and no there's attempt to gain reciprocal support. It's baffling.

The prevailing wisdom among non Marylanders is that Maryland is already too far gone , whereas in VA and PA it's close enough balanced , that public/ political event turnouts can potentially accomplish something.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom