SB1 (2023) - Criminal Law - Wearing, Carrying, or Transporting Firearms - Restrictions (Gun Safety Act of 2023)

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    He will sign this and smile while he does so. This is a winning item in a democratic primary, popular with every segment of the Dem base except maybe the shrinking blue-collar union voters. After the USSC tosses it, they will scream of an activist court and dream of the day that the court has a liberal majority.
    THIS. There is NO way he doesn't sign this POS.

klutch

Mar 27, 2018
    I'd like to give a big shout out to a Democratic legislator that voted our way on both bills (SB1 AND HB824). That is Del. Tiffany Alston from Prince George's County. I don't know what Alston's past voting record is like but I'm hoping that she MAYBE is an ally? Del. Steve Johnson from Harford County abstained on both bills. We need to thank these people!

Last edited:

eruby

Confederate Jew
    MDS Supporter
    I'd like to give a big shout out to a Democrat ic legislator that voted our way on both bills (SB1 AND HB824). That is Del. Tiffany Alston from Prince George's County. Del. Steve Johnson from Harford County abstained on both bills. We need to thank these people!
    Fixed

Disagree on Johnson. Abstaining is cowardly. Stand up for what you believe in, good or bad

Mr. Ed

This IS my Happy Face
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2009
    Edgewater
    I just came across this video on SB1 from a training gentleman representing Safety First Firearms and Defense. Some of the info is spot on, but some seems surprising.

jbridgely

Mar 28, 2023
    Westminster
    Couple of questions to see if anyone knows the answer. If you currently hold a permit will you be required to provide a "reason" for the permit upon renewal? Does anyone know if any legal challenges have been filed, or does that need to wait until October when the law is in force? Thanks in advance!

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    Couple of questions to see if anyone knows the answer. If you currently hold a permit will you be required to provide a "reason" for the permit upon renewal? Does anyone know if any legal challenges have been filed, or does that need to wait until October when the law is in force? Thanks in advance!
    No reason. G&S is dead

Challenges are forthcoming

coinboy

Yeah, Sweet Lemonade.
    Oct 22, 2007
    Howard County
    I just came across this video on SB1 from a training gentleman representing Safety First Firearms and Defense. Some of the info is spot on, but some seems surprising.

I think he used an old version of the bill to make this video. He also said the bill was signed. It hasn't been yet.

Raineman

On the 3rd box
    Dec 27, 2008
    Eldersburg
    Enrolled version was sent on April 13th (??) I believe. So he has until May 13th to veto the bill. If not then it automatically becomes law on May 14th and takes affect on Oct 1, 2023.
    He will sign it on Friday May 12 as a "gift for Mother's Day" for the Red Karens.

To me, the one biggest tell that proved this bill would pass was the LACK of Red Karen sheep on hearing days. They knew they didn't have to be there in force, it was already a slam dunk, and you can bet they were informed of it pre-hearing day.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    I'd like to give a big shout out to a Democratic legislator that voted our way on both bills (SB1 AND HB824). That is Del. Tiffany Alston from Prince George's County. I don't know what Alston's past voting record is like but I'm hoping that she MAYBE is an ally? Del. Steve Johnson from Harford County abstained on both bills. We need to thank these people!
    Thank them for what?? Being permitted to vote the way they did by Democrat leadership?
    If you really think we should send them "thank you" notes, you have no idea.

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    Not sure if this has been posted, yes, I've read them all but memory fails.

Hawaii's very similar law goes into effect May 1st. We may learn from them if SCT will step in within the next few days, if not I would guess the count goes back to "years". ?

ras_oscar

Ultimate Member
    Apr 23, 2014
    Is it necessary for the law to take affect in order to file a lawsuit or can that be done after it is signed by the Governor? It would be hilarious if an attorney arrived at the signing party and handed the Governor a summons. Great photo op :)

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    Hawaii's very similar law goes into effect May 1st. We may learn from them if SCT will step in within the next few days, if not I would guess the count goes back to "years". ?
    It's important to remember that - in the way most people use that phrase and hold the notion - the Supreme Court never "steps in." That's not how it works. Someone has to navigate the lower court waters and chase a viable case, with standing, up the judicial food chain and through the certiorari barbed wire before the matter is before that court and they're able to act. Yes, there are all sorts of (generally, emergency-flavored) things that go directly to them, and which they (or a single Justice in some cases) may respond. But a law like Hawaii's (or our shiny new Infringe-o-matic) have to be challenged in lower courts first. Yes, years.

That said, a lower court may have a judge (or panel) intelligent and intellectually honest enough to see the Bruen writing on the wall and enjoin a new law while those years play out.

ustasc

Jan 14, 2014
    There is an open carry restriction with SB1:

Article – Public Safety 13 5–307. 14 [(a)] A permit is valid for each handgun legally in the possession of the person to 15 whom the permit is issued. 16 (B) (1) SUBJECT TO SUBSECTION (C) OF THIS SECTION, A PERMIT ISSUED 17 UNDER THIS SUBTITLE SHALL RESTRICT THE WEARING, CARRYING, AND 18 TRANSPORTING OF A HANDGUN BY THE PERSON TO WHOM THE PERMIT IS ISSUED TO 19 WEARING, CARRYING, OR TRANSPORTING A HANDGUN CONCEALED FROM VIEW: 20 (I) UNDER OR WITHIN AN ARTICLE OF THE PERSON’S 21 CLOTHING; OR 22 (II) WITHIN AN ENCLOSED CASE. 23 (2) THE REQUIREMENT IN PARAGRAPH (1) OF THIS SUBSECTION TO 24 KEEP A HANDGUN CONCEALED IS NOT VIOLATED BY: 25 (I) THE MOMENTARY AND INADVERTENT EXPOSURE OF A 26 HANDGUN; OR 27 (II) THE MOMENTARY AND INADVERTENT EXPOSURE OF THE 28 IMPRINT OR OUTLINE OF A HANDGUN. 29 (C) A PERSON IS NOT SUBJECT TO THE REQUIREMENT IN SUBSECTION (B) 30 OF THIS SECTION TO KEEP A HANDGUN CONCEALED IF THE PERSON IS AUTHORIZED 31 16 SENATE BILL 1 AT THE TIME AND UNDER THE CIRCUMSTANCES TO WEAR, CARRY, OR TRANSPORT 1 THE HANDGUN AS PART OF THE PERSON’S OFFICIAL EQUIPMENT, AND IS: 2 (1) A PERSON EXEMPTED UNDER § 4–203(B)(1) OF THE CRIMINAL 3 LAW ARTICLE; 4 (2) A SECURITY GUARD LICENSED UNDER TITLE 19 OF THE BUSINESS 5 OCCUPATIONS ARTICLE ACTING WITHIN THE SCOPE OF EMPLOYMENT; 6 (3) A CORRECTIONAL OFFICER OR WARDEN OF A CORRECTIONAL 7 FACILITY IN THE STATE ACTING WITHIN THE SCOPE OF EMPLOYMENT; 8 (4) A RAILROAD POLICE OFFICER APPOINTED UNDER TITLE 3, 9 SUBTITLE 4 OF THIS ARTICLE ACTING WITHIN THE SCOPE OF EMPLOYMENT; OR 10 (5) AN EMPLOYEE OF AN ARMORED CAR COMPANY ACTING WITHIN THE 11 SCOPE OF EMPLOYMENT. 12 [(b) The Secretary may limit the geographic area, circumstances, or times of the 13 day, week, month, or year in which a permit is effective.]

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    There is an open carry restriction with SB1:

Article – Public Safety 13 5–307. 14 [(a)] A permit is valid for each handgun legally in the possession of the person to 15 whom the permit is issued. 16 (B) (1) SUBJECT TO SUBSECTION (C) OF THIS SECTION, A PERMIT ISSUED 17 UNDER THIS SUBTITLE SHALL RESTRICT THE WEARING, CARRYING, AND 18 TRANSPORTING OF A HANDGUN BY THE PERSON TO WHOM THE PERMIT IS ISSUED TO 19 WEARING, CARRYING, OR TRANSPORTING A HANDGUN CONCEALED FROM VIEW: 20 (I) UNDER OR WITHIN AN ARTICLE OF THE PERSON’S 21 CLOTHING; OR 22 (II) WITHIN AN ENCLOSED CASE. 23 (2) THE REQUIREMENT IN PARAGRAPH (1) OF THIS SUBSECTION TO 24 KEEP A HANDGUN CONCEALED IS NOT VIOLATED BY: 25 (I) THE MOMENTARY AND INADVERTENT EXPOSURE OF A 26 HANDGUN; OR 27 (II) THE MOMENTARY AND INADVERTENT EXPOSURE OF THE 28 IMPRINT OR OUTLINE OF A HANDGUN. 29 (C) A PERSON IS NOT SUBJECT TO THE REQUIREMENT IN SUBSECTION (B) 30 OF THIS SECTION TO KEEP A HANDGUN CONCEALED IF THE PERSON IS AUTHORIZED 31 16 SENATE BILL 1 AT THE TIME AND UNDER THE CIRCUMSTANCES TO WEAR, CARRY, OR TRANSPORT 1 THE HANDGUN AS PART OF THE PERSON’S OFFICIAL EQUIPMENT, AND IS: 2 (1) A PERSON EXEMPTED UNDER § 4–203(B)(1) OF THE CRIMINAL 3 LAW ARTICLE; 4 (2) A SECURITY GUARD LICENSED UNDER TITLE 19 OF THE BUSINESS 5 OCCUPATIONS ARTICLE ACTING WITHIN THE SCOPE OF EMPLOYMENT; 6 (3) A CORRECTIONAL OFFICER OR WARDEN OF A CORRECTIONAL 7 FACILITY IN THE STATE ACTING WITHIN THE SCOPE OF EMPLOYMENT; 8 (4) A RAILROAD POLICE OFFICER APPOINTED UNDER TITLE 3, 9 SUBTITLE 4 OF THIS ARTICLE ACTING WITHIN THE SCOPE OF EMPLOYMENT; OR 10 (5) AN EMPLOYEE OF AN ARMORED CAR COMPANY ACTING WITHIN THE 11 SCOPE OF EMPLOYMENT. 12 [(b) The Secretary may limit the geographic area, circumstances, or times of the 13 day, week, month, or year in which a permit is effective.]
    Yes there is

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    roth405

Latest threads

Top Bottom