SB1 (2023) - Criminal Law - Wearing, Carrying, or Transporting Firearms - Restrictions (Gun Safety Act of 2023)

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    I thought if you had a current permit (not needing renewal before October 1), prohibition didn't apply until renewal. If so, is it going to be a FFA where you won't know who is who until you're detained and then released after verification?
    You thought wrong, the law applies to everyone, equally on Oct 1, 2023 regardless of when your permit gets renewed.

widderic

Straight Shooter
    Oct 19, 2020
    Baltimore City
    I'm assuming we should expect the MSPD to provide us with an above average amount of enforcement in the month of October. I wonder how that's gonna go. What a bummer.
    As for my comment about moving out of Maryalnd, I understand not everyone can do that. I can't even. But it "sounded" nice.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    I'm assuming we should expect the MSPD to provide us with an above average amount of enforcement in the month of October. I wonder how that's gonna go. What a bummer.
    As for my comment about moving out of Maryalnd, I understand not everyone can do that. I can't even. But it "sounded" nice.
    No, the rank and file won't even be notified.

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    So went SB1 goes into effect on 1 October of this year, they've made it a requirement now to transport all long guns in a locked container... just like the Federal “Firearms Owners' Protection Act” as amended in 1986.

So... locked container? Will simply installing a hasp and a padlock on a plastic rifle case meet that new requirement under Maryland's SB1?

I would think so. It is keeping in the spirit of the new requirement, no?

JollyPedro

Aug 15, 2022
    St Mary's County
    So went SB1 goes into effect on 1 October of this year, they've made it a requirement now to transport all long guns in a locked container... just like the Federal “Firearms Owners' Protection Act” as amended in 1986.

So... locked container? Will simply installing a hasp and a padlock on a plastic rifle case meet that new requirement under Maryland's SB1?

Wait, what?? I wasn't tracking this at all?? Even with a wear and carry??

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia

MSP probably won’t give a sh*t. Their main gig is traffic enforcement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    It says rifles and shotguns are "still" required to be transported in a locked container.....that is not the law now, so what does "still" mean?
    That is just mentioning it again, as outlined in the paragraph above the bottom of page 3 of the .pdf. See my bolding below:

Criminal Law Article §4-111 This section defines areas where firearms (all firearms not simply handguns) are prohibited. It lists very limited exceptions for locations (§4-111 (B)), and the way firearms are carried or transported. Under §4-111 (B) (11)(I) & (II), all firearms must be in a locked container, or in the case of a handgun being carried or transported by a person possessing a valid permit to wear and carry a handgun, the handgun must be worn, carried or transported within the limitations imposed under §5-307 of the Public Safety Article.

Public Safety Article §5-307 For persons who possess a valid Maryland handgun wear and carry permit, a handgun being transported must be either under or within an article of clothing OR within an enclosed case. A locked container for a handgun is not required. However, rifles and shotguns are still required to be transported in a locked container.

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    we make our stand here. Else, we will have to make it further back after giving up ground.

JollyPedro

Aug 15, 2022
    St Mary's County
    That is just mentioning it again, as outlined in the paragraph above the bottom of page 3 of the .pdf. See my bolding below:

Criminal Law Article §4-111 This section defines areas where firearms (all firearms not simply handguns) are prohibited. It lists very limited exceptions for locations (§4-111 (B)), and the way firearms are carried or transported. Under §4-111 (B) (11)(I) & (II), all firearms must be in a locked container, or in the case of a handgun being carried or transported by a person possessing a valid permit to wear and carry a handgun, the handgun must be worn, carried or transported within the limitations imposed under §5-307 of the Public Safety Article.

Public Safety Article §5-307 For persons who possess a valid Maryland handgun wear and carry permit, a handgun being transported must be either under or within an article of clothing OR within an enclosed case. A locked container for a handgun is not required. However, rifles and shotguns are still required to be transported in a locked container.
    makes sense now, thanks!

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012

Don’t make it worse than it is. The transport in a vehicle section is an exception from the bans. If you are not in a banned area the exception does not apply and you can transport as you did before sb1

JollyPedro

Aug 15, 2022
    St Mary's County
    Don’t make it worse than it is. The transport in a vehicle section is an exception from the bans. If you are not in a banned area the exception does not apply and you can transport as you did before sb1
    Thanks for the follow up/clarity on this!! I was really confused for a minute trying to figure out if my rifle range bags could be locked, haha!

emerald

Ultimate Member
    Apr 25, 2015

Yes, thank you for clarifying! I was looking at my nice cases and thinking of a trip to friends farm with some toys and what a real PITA this was going to be, and how it made absolutely no sense addressing crime etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom