SB113 (2023) - Civil Actions – Public Nuisances – Firearm Industry Members(Gun Industry Accountability Act of 2023)

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    SB113 - Civil Actions – Public Nuisances – Firearm Industry Members 3 (Gun Industry Accountability Act of 2023)

Sponsor(s): Senators Waldstreicher and Lee

Link to Bill: https://mgaleg.maryland.gov/2023RS/bills/sb/sb0113F.pdf

Synopsis: FOR the purpose of prohibiting certain firearm industry members from knowingly or recklessly creating, maintaining, or contributing to harm to the public through the sale, manufacture, importation, or marketing of a firearm–related product under certain circumstances; requiring a firearm industry member to establish and implement certain reasonable controls regarding the sale, manufacture, importation, distribution, marketing, possession, and use of certain firearm–related products; establishing that a violation of this Act is a public nuisance; authorizing the Attorney General or certain persons to bring an action against a firearm industry member for violations under this Act; and generally relating to civil actions against firearm industry members.

Edit: Bill hearing Tuesday Feb 7, 2023 at 1:00 PM
    Location: Senate Judicial Proceedings, Room 2, East Miller Senate Building

Last edited:

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Updated the OP, a bill hearing date has been st.

Bill hearing Tuesday Feb 7, 2023 at 1:00 PM
    Location: Senate Judicial Proceedings, Room 2, East Miller Senate Building

LCPIWB

Needs an avatar
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 17, 2011
    Underneath the blimp, Md.
    Bumping this since hearing is coming up.
    As part of my testimony I questioned. "Where is the state's responsibility for issuing a Handgun Qualification License (HQL) to the persons to which the General Assembly is trying to punish the FFL for selling to?"

Fast and Furious much?

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    I thought the feds had put a stop to lawsuits against the firearms industry for actions by the purchaser?

It's long past the time for laws controlling legislators from creating public nuisances of themselves.

delaware_export

Ultimate Member
    Apr 10, 2018
    And the reason… the state does NOT APPROVE people, they NOT DISAPPROVE them. The reason for the perverse wording.

and in New Jersey, they have this on hold for now as it directly confronts the PLCAA … so the same may happen to this bill if passed. We hope.
    I thought the feds had put a stop to lawsuits against the firearms industry for actions by the purchaser?

It's long past the time for laws controlling legislators from creating public nuisances of themselves.
    Bumping this since hearing is coming up.
    As part of my testimony I questioned. "Where is the state's responsibility for issuing a Handgun Qualification License (HQL) to the persons to which the General Assembly is trying to punish the FFL for selling to?"

Fast and Furious much?

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County

They did. It's the Protection of Lawful Commerce in Arms Act, 15 U.S.C. §§ 7901–7903. I believe CA got its pee pee smacked last week over it.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015

They did, and recently an appeals court (I think it was appeals and not district) smacked down one of the state. CA IIRC on their public nuisance law. Basically told them to F off, Federal supremacy and the PLCAA takes precedence over their law.

lockandload

Oct 26, 2012
    I think this is my que to get some sleep, i have great confidence that our elected officials will have everything figured out by the time i wake up in tthe morning.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Everytown - Selling guns is not protected by the 2nd Amendment. I believe SCOTUS has said is.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Sen Folden, still rolling with the hard questions. Drugs, cigarrettes, etc. conduct came under federal suites, but not Constitutional behavior.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Mr. Levy deflecting the question to how firearms are bought illegally, not how the manufacturer is responsible for the use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    illlocs33

Latest threads

Top Bottom