SB159 (2023) - Firearms - Maryland Voluntary Do Not Sell Firearm Registry - Establishment

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    SB159 - Firearms - Maryland Voluntary Do Not Sell Firearm Registry - Establishment

Crossfiled in the House as HB162

Sponsor: Senator Hettleman

Link to bill: https://mgaleg.maryland.gov/mgawebsite/Legislation/Details/sb0159

Synopsis: Requiring the Department of State Police to create and maintain a Maryland Voluntary Do Not Sell Firearm Registry in which a person may voluntarily enroll for the purpose of being prohibited from obtaining a firearm; prohibiting a dealer or other person from selling, renting, loaning, or transferring a firearm to a purchaser, lessee, borrower, or transferee who the dealer or other person knows or has reason to believe is registered on the registry; etc.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    So a "Do not sell me a firearm under no circumstances" list? or "Make me immediately a prohibited person" list and come take my guns now?

jc1240

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 18, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    Sounds like a trap. "Sorry Mr. Gun Shop Owner, you sold to someone on our in-house ban registry. Yeah, we know it doesn't report to NICS. Too bad. Time to close shop."

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    Sounds like a way govt can strong-arm someone into forfeiting their rights when they are bluffing about their ability to prosecute them for something. When this has shown up in other areas of the country, there is no process to get off of the list. I'll have to read through this to see if there is an option to undo this if pressured to do it.

ChrisD

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2013
    Conowingo
    So a "Do not sell me a firearm under no circumstances" list? or "Make me immediately a prohibited person" list and come take my guns now?
    This exactly. It will morph from ”don’t sell” to “you can’t have in your possession“ since you’re on a list.

Mitral

Sep 6, 2015
    Calvert
    Scarier thought is blackballing if you are NOT on the neutered list …….
    Sounds more likely in the peoples republic. Unless you are part of the protected class.

After all it’s for the children ……

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    Screenshot_20230119_200635_Drive.jpg

Yup, this has the potential of making a dumb young person prohibited for life. If you apply to be put on this, you're prohibited within 5 days. If trying to get off of it, you aren't even allowed to be removed until after 21 days pass, but there is no maximum window outside of the vague "promptly". You'd likely have to sue in order to get your rights back as the secretary can completely drag feet in removing your name without any worry of legal trouble.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    Scarier thought is blackballing if you are NOT on the neutered list …….
    Sounds more likely in the peoples republic. Unless you are part of the protected class.

After all it’s for the children ……
    Yup, like the "you can't _______________ unless vaccinated" we just went through. Another option is a prosecutor telling you, "You're going to be charged with carrying a firearm in a prohibited sensitive place. You will go to jail, pay fines, and become a prohibited person. Orrrrr as part of a plea deal, you can just voluntarily place yourself on the prohibited list"

Last edited:

Mitral

Sep 6, 2015
    Calvert
    Nanny state in full affect.
    “ we will tell you what’s good for you “
    Another power grab cloaked as protection.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    While I hate this bill, let's look at the benefits..
    If the MOM's support it, they can all be the first ones to sign up for it. If not then why not? They despise guns so much they can finally be put on a "do not sell to me" list. If not, then they can get called out for being hypocrits. It's perfect.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Let's see how many of our Delegates and Senators would be willing to sign away their gun rights.

All those voting for this bill should have to rescind their firearms rights; make a public example of their belief in what they legislate.

whistlersmother

Peace through strength
    Jan 29, 2013
    Fulton, MD
    this is just stupid

While I hate this bill, let's look at the benefits..
    If the MOM's support it, they can all be the first ones to sign up for it. If not then why not? They despise guns so much they can finally be put on a "do not sell to me" list. If not, then they can get called out for being hypocrits. It's perfect.
    Can we settle on perfectly stupid?

Something the Mom's can really get behind.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    lsmitty67

Latest threads

Top Bottom