• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TxAggie

Ultimate Member
    Feb 25, 2012
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    Ok, I've been out of town and actually working for a change this past week, so I may have missed it, but did O'Malley ever actually sign SB281? If not, how long does he have before it is automatically enacted? Any chance he will just let it go so he can claim he had nothing to do with it?

ShallNotInfringe

Lil Firecracker
    Feb 17, 2013
    As of today, the bill is not showing as signed in the status report on the MGA site. It shows as Passed - Enrolled.

The ones that have been signed are shown as "Approved by the Governor" and have an associated Chapter number.

The MD Constitution has this to say about the signing:

Legislative Section:

SEC. 30. Every bill, when passed by the General Assembly, and sealed with the Great Seal, shall be presented by the presiding officer of the House in which it originated to the Governor for his approval. All bills passed during a regular or special session shall be presented to the Governor for his approval no later than 20 days after adjournment. Within 30 days after presentment, if the Governor approves the bill, he shall sign the same in the presence of the presiding officers and Chief Clerks of the Senate and House of Delegates. Every Law shall be recorded in the office of the Court of Appeals, and in due time, be printed, published and certified under the Great Seal, to the several Courts, in the same manner as has been heretofore usual in this State (amended by Chapter 883, Acts of 1974, ratified Nov. 5, 1974).

Executive Section:

(c) Any Bill presented to the Governor within six days (Sundays excepted), prior to adjournment of any session of the General Assembly, or after such adjournment, shall become law without the Governor's signature unless it is vetoed by the Governor within 30 days after its presentment.

Do not know how to find out if "Presentment" has occurred as of yet. But if you assume it hasn't been yet and add the days using the longest values, he has until May 28th to sign it or veto it. The values per above are April 8 + 20 days for "presentment" + 30 days for signing/veto.

As an aside or totally unrelated factoid: Obama is scheduled to attend the Naval Academy Commissioning on May 24th.

JPG

Ultimate Member
    Aug 5, 2012
    Calvert County
    Delaying is the tactic being used. The longer he waits the less likely people will be fired up to sign a petition against the bill. When he signs later next month there will only be days to get the first group of signatures for petition in. It will be almost impossible to get the required amount in time.

They didn't think that we wouldn't want to go this route and decide to go right to court with the case likely to be heard before the 2014 election.

ShallNotInfringe

Lil Firecracker
    Feb 17, 2013
    Delaying is the tactic being used. The longer he waits the less likely people will be fired up to sign a petition against the bill. When he signs later next month there will only be days to get the first group of signatures for petition in. It will be almost impossible to get the required amount in time.

They didn't think that we wouldn't want to go this route and decide to go right to court with the case likely to be heard before the 2014 election.

A referendum effort is not based on the Governor's signing date. It is based on both houses passing a bill.

Here's an excerpt from the petition info on the BOE site:

"Any person or group m ay attempt to void an Act or any part of an Act passed by the General Assembly by referring that Act to a vote of the electorate in a General Election. This is accomplished by obtaining the requisite num ber of signatures on a referendum petition and submitting that petition, along with other required doc uments, to the Secretary of State within a specified period of time. If the legal requirements are met,including confirmation of the number and validity of voters' names, the question of whether the referred Act will take ef fect will appear on the general election ballot."

Note it is based on an act passing the GA. A referendum effort could be underway now in terms of submitting the information, the process takes about 2 weeks to do, with specified timelines for input/replies from the State. Signature gathering would begin on May 1, regardless of whether the Governor signed it. If one third are collected by May 31, then another decision is made. The other two thirds signatures are due by June 30,

But the referendum is not happening... Just reporting the facts here, not expressing an opinion. (except my speculation as to when he will sign it :))

Mr H

Unincited Co-Conservative
    Best I can tell, there is no status in the bill history to show it having been presented.

"Passed Enrolled" seems to be only that the bill has been recompiled with all amendments and filed as final.

I'm hoping Andi or Del. Dwyer can chime in and enlighten us...

Mooseman

R.I.P.- Hooligan #4
    Jan 3, 2012
    Western Maryland
    Ok, I've been out of town and actually working for a change this past week, so I may have missed it, but did O'Malley ever actually sign SB281? If not, how long does he have before it is automatically enacted? Any chance he will just let it go so he can claim he had nothing to do with it?

That is my thought. He can claim victory and still distance himself.

Mr H

Thing is, if it is not formally presented in time, then they can ALL wash their hands of it, and go all 'ServPro' to the public.

Then, we'd be seen as beating up on them for something that 'never even happened'.

We really could use to know the official status of this beast.

ETA:

If you look at the history of HB1107 (PGCo Schools), it was enrolled presented and signed almost immediately.

What games are being played with SB281 are anyone's guess.

JPG

Ultimate Member
    Aug 5, 2012
    Calvert County
    A referendum effort is not based on the Governor's signing date. It is based on both houses passing a bill.

Here's an excerpt from the petition info on the BOE site:

"Any person or group m ay attempt to void an Act or any part of an Act passed by the General Assembly by referring that Act to a vote of the electorate in a General Election. This is accomplished by obtaining the requisite num ber of signatures on a referendum petition and submitting that petition, along with other required doc uments, to the Secretary of State within a specified period of time. If the legal requirements are met,including confirmation of the number and validity of voters' names, the question of whether the referred Act will take ef fect will appear on the general election ballot."

Note it is based on an act passing the GA. A referendum effort could be underway now in terms of submitting the information, the process takes about 2 weeks to do, with specified timelines for input/replies from the State. Signature gathering would begin on May 1, regardless of whether the Governor signed it. If one third are collected by May 31, then another decision is made. The other two thirds signatures are due by June 30,

But the referendum is not happening... Just reporting the facts here, not expressing an opinion. (except my speculation as to when he will sign it :))

I was just saying that enthusiasm for a referendum is less the longer he waits. If he would have signed earlier when more people were pissed, they would have signed any clipboard put in front of them. By waiting there are less people engaged in the process.

I am assuming a court challenge will be filed shortly after 10/1. I believe this to be the best way to go.

ShallNotInfringe

Lil Firecracker
    Feb 17, 2013
    I just called the MGA. They confirmed he has until the 28th of May to sign it and also that they have no plans to publicize the signing date. They don't count the 20/30 thing, and don't publicize the "presentment date" on the bill status - they just give him 50 days to sign....

The librarian told me to just check the website to see when the status goes from "enrolled" to "signed. She also told me they have 2 current signing dates scheduled, one for May 2 and 14.... But bills to be signed on those dates are not associated with the scheduled days.

Mr H

I just called the MGA. They confirmed he has until the 28th of May to sign it and also that they have no plans to publicize the signing date. They don't count the 20/30 thing, they just give him 50 days to sign....

So it has been formally presented? Or don't they follow the Constitution on that, either?!

(not slapping you--just ticked over the hubris)

jonnyl

Ultimate Member
    Sep 23, 2009
    Frederick
    He wants to be president. He was riding the wave after Newtown. He muscled through a horrible bill that will do nothing to advance safety, but will look good on a "progressive" resume.

Now, the Fed bill failed, he may be realizing that getting elected as an anti-gun zealot may not be easy. He may still schedule the dog and pony show, but I wouldn't be surprised if he's more quiet about the whole thing.

Unrelated, but I'll be interested to see some stats on Mass. gun purchases over the next 6 months.....

USMCTC

Jan 16, 2012
    I agree that he is just trying to time it when he can get the most fanfare and least protest for it. All the news lately would have blocked his parade from national television. He's just waiting for the best camera time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nestor875

Latest threads

Top Bottom