• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ShallNotInfringe

Lil Firecracker
    Feb 17, 2013
    So it has been formally presented? Or don't they follow the Constitution on that, either?!

Was my exact quote to the office. I started by quoting the Constitution on the timeframes and asked when the "presentment" was planned or if it had occurred. She said there was no record of presentment and it was just 50 days. Then I said... Oh, nice to know they don't follow the Constitution...

I did not reveal my position on the bill and kept inquiring as to when it would be signed, she kept telling me that I would know AFTERWARDS by the status change.

Am still putting a .22lr value pack on 5/24 :). We should start a contest by date on when it will be signed.

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    He wants to be president. He was riding the wave after Newtown. He muscled through a horrible bill that will do nothing to advance safety, but will look good on a "progressive" resume.

Now, the Fed bill failed, he may be realizing that getting elected as an anti-gun zealot may not be easy. He may still schedule the dog and pony show, but I wouldn't be surprised if he's more quiet about the whole thing.

Unrelated, but I'll be interested to see some stats on Mass. gun purchases over the next 6 months.....

This was my thought also... If he sees that it will hurt his chances for a run at the WH... He will not sign it and then later claim that the State Voted it in as law and he did not sign, washing his hands of it to attract the conservative Democrats.

ShallNotInfringe

Lil Firecracker
    Feb 17, 2013
    This was my thought also... If he sees that it will hurt his chances for a run at the WH... He will not sign it and then later claim that the State Voted it in as law and he did not sign, washing his hands of it to attract the conservative Democrats.

There's an option. Wonder how next session'll go if'n he does that?

J Beard

Deplorable Member
    Jan 28, 2013
    Calvert County
    State Bill
    (c) Any Bill presented to the Governor within six days (Sundays excepted), prior to adjournment of any session of the General Assembly, or after such adjournment, shall become law without the Governor's signature unless it is vetoed by the Governor within 30 days after its presentment.

Federal Bill
    A bill becomes law if signed by the President or if not signed within 10 days and Congress is in session.
    If Congress adjourns before the 10 days and the President has not signed the bill then it does not become law ("Pocket Veto.")

If the President ignores a bill it dies

If the Governor ignores a bill it becomes law

What a backward a$$ state we live in

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    If the President ignores a bill it dies

Not exactly. Only if Congress adjourns within the 10 days. If they are in session that entire time, it becomes law if he does not veto.

As you wrote.

Federal Bill
    A bill becomes law if signed by the President or if not signed within 10 days and Congress is in session.
    If Congress adjourns before the 10 days and the President has not signed the bill then it does not become law ("Pocket Veto.")

montoya32

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jun 16, 2010
    Harford Co
    I have had this discussion with a few different people and all have said that they believe O'Malley will not sign it. He is lining up his run for President and doesn't want this "blood" on his hands.

The way I see it, if he signs it, he screws himself nationally for the presidential run and if he does not sign it, he is a hypocrite and is seen talking about saving lives, but when given the choice of doing that and preserving his political career.....

Bean Guy

Apr 4, 2013
    Eldersburg
    Well it looks like MOM might have played his hand a little too fast after Newtown. But who can blame him - Obama was pushing his gun control agenda, and MOM probably figured if Obama can do it on the national level I can get it done in MD. Cuomo to the north beat him to the punch, and since Cuomo also has aspirations to the be the democratic nominee, MOM most likely figured he had better follow suit.

MOM had more than enough control to ram 281 through both houses of the MD legislature. So he got what he wanted, but we all know you have to be careful what you ask for...

I'd pay good money to have seen MOM's reaction to the US Senate's thumbs down vote on not only Obama's gun control proposals but also the Manchin Toomey bi partison proposals.

I don't mean his smarmy "we need this for children response" that he would give to the public, but his "how the hell am I going to get any presidential votes in any red states" discussion he would have with his advisors. Of course MOM is probably arrogant enough not to have that discussion. The reality is of course that MOM will need a lot more electcollege votes than the MD dems can deliver.

It will be our job to make sure that everyone in the US understands what MOM is.

Bean Guy

Apr 4, 2013
    Eldersburg
    Well it looks like MOM might have played his hand a little too fast after Newtown. But who can blame him - Obama was pushing his gun control agenda, and MOM probably figured if Obama can do it on the national level I can get it done in MD. Cuomo to the north beat him to the punch, and since Cuomo also has aspirations to the be the democratic nominee, MOM most likely figured he had better follow suit.

MOM had more than enough control to ram 281 through both houses of the MD legislature. So he got what he wanted, but we all know you have to be careful what you ask for...

I'd pay good money to have seen MOM's reaction to the US Senate's thumbs down vote on not only Obama's gun control proposals but also the Manchin Toomey bi partison proposals.

I don't mean his smarmy "we need this for children response" that he would give to the public, but his "how the hell am I going to get any presidential votes in any red states" discussion he would have with his advisors. Of course MOM is probably arrogant enough not to have that discussion. The reality is of course that MOM will need a lot more electcollege votes than the MD dems can deliver.

It will be our job to make sure that everyone in the US understands what MOM is.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll

It isn't really the red states that he is worried about, but the ones that are barely blue. He, Cuomo, and the rest of these morons will be in some hot water just with Florida. No way they are going to get Florida in a Presidential election after passing this gun grab BS. When you have to ram something through "For the Kids" that is so controversial, you had better be looking for something else "For the Kids". The vast majority of people that attended the Howard County Public School Board safety meeting wanted armed guards in the schools, but the Howard County Police, the School Board, and most likely Ken Ulman did not want to go along with it. The Chief of Police stated that if given the additional resources he would prefer to have more police on the streets than in schools. Oh, but "For the Children".

"School Resource Officers (SRO) are important assets, which the community strongly supported. The consensus of the committee was that the SROs’ primary function today is less about enforcement and more about building positive relationships with students and maintaining a close partnership with school administrators in order to provide for a safe school environment. If the primary goal were to provide armed defense against intruders, the law enforcement officials on the committee felt strongly that they would supplement countywide first response resources prior to expanding the SRO program."

http://www.hcpss.org/aboutus/taskforce_report.pdf

I had taken pics of the recommendations made by the round table groups and armed guards (SRO) in the schools was extremely favored by the vast majority of those that attended. But when it comes to protecting the children, the powers that be just cannot get it done.

I took pics of the suggestion lists from the round table and they all showed SROs in all schools were favored by the vast majority. Sadly, I cannot find them on my phone and have no idea why I would have ever erased them.

Whitty Whit

Mar 20, 2013
    He wants to be president. He was riding the wave after Newtown. He muscled through a horrible bill that will do nothing to advance safety, but will look good on a "progressive" resume.

Now, the Fed bill failed, he may be realizing that getting elected as an anti-gun zealot may not be easy. He may still schedule the dog and pony show, but I wouldn't be surprised if he's more quiet about the whole thing.

Unrelated, but I'll be interested to see some stats on Mass. gun purchases over the next 6 months.....

:thumbsup:

rh92

Mar 2, 2013
    Rockville
    Just a few questions:

If he signs the bill into law, his future as president may go down the drain correct?

What does the failure of the national gun control bill mean for MD?

ShallNotInfringe

Lil Firecracker
    Feb 17, 2013
    Just a few questions:

If he signs the bill into law, his future as president may go down the drain correct?

What does the failure of the national gun control bill mean for MD?

No, he's waiting for the right moment. He still has 31 more days to sign it...

BeerHunter

Don't ReMember
    Feb 13, 2013
    SoPROM
    Only a politician would think he has no culpability in the automatic passage of a bill that was introduced and passed through the legislature entirely on his watch!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nestor875

Latest threads

Top Bottom