• ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

david2260

MSI Executive Member
    Mar 7, 2012
    Ocean View DE
    Hope its not like a signing a petition

Hope it's not like signing a petition; I must have sent a dozen e-mails to the judiciary committee and the rest of the senate.

Hope its not like sending e-mails to Mikulski. No matter what I say in the e-mail, I get the same cookie-cutter response...I guess one of her flunkies is doing the replying.

"Thank you for getting in touch with me to express your opposition to the Assault Weapons Ban. I appreciate hearing from you.
    I support the second amendment rights of Marylanders who enjoy hunting or who have firearms to protect themselves. Yet, I strongly believe that assault weapons do not belong on our streets and are a threat to communities across our nation. Eliminating such powerful weapons from the streets will help reduce violent crimes, including crimes against law enforcement officers.
    Several law enforcement organization s including the International Association of Campus Law Enforcement Administrators, the International Association of Chiefs of Police, Women in Federal Law Enforcement, and the Police Foundation have supported this ban. I want you to know that my support for limited and common sense gun control, like the Assault Weapons Ban, does not diminish my support for Second Amendment rights.
    Again, thanks for contacting me. Please let me know if I can be of any help to you in the future.
    Sincerely,
    Barbara A. Mikulski
    United States Senator":mad54::banghead:

The only Legislature to favorably e-mail back is Mark Fisher:

"Thank you for your email concerning new Gun Control proposals in MD.
    As you know, the Governor and the folks who control Annapolis intend to infringe upon your constitutional freedoms once again. Maryland already has some of the strictest gun control laws in the United States.
    Put simply, the folks who rule Annapolis are out of control.
    I am a steadfast supporter of the 2nd Amendment. To that end, I look forward to working with you to preserve your rights to keep and bear arms.

Yours in service,

Mark":party29:

hdatontodo

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2012
    So. Central Balto Co
    I just got this snippet in an email from MSI

1. Senate Committee to Vote on SB 281

There was some confusion on the dates for the vote on SB 281. We apologize for any confusion. 

The Senate Judicial Proceedings Committee will vote this evening on SB 281. We expect dozens of amendments to be offered from both sides of the issue and the proceedings might carry over into Friday. We will keep you updated as SB 281 progresses through the legislative process.

If the bill passes, the full Senate could vote on the bill as early as tomorrow.

We need to continue to press members of the Senate Judicial Proceedings Committee to vote against SB 281. Phone calls and visits to Annapolis carry the most weight

You can find contact information for the Senate Judiciary here: http://msa.maryland.gov/msa/mdmanual/05sen/html/com/05judp.html

Sportstud4891

Resident SMIB
    Jun 7, 2011
    Chuck County
    david2260, it makes a difference. They may not be reading your emails but they are at least tallying them up. Those for the bill and those against. It will be hard for the fence sitters to vote for the bill if we outnumber the supporters by a vast majority.

We will never change the people that are ardent gun control supporters. It is the people that are undecided that we need to sway.

SomeGuy

Jan 19, 2013
    Severna Park
    Wow, if both of these bills pass - be sure to console a gang member and/or violent criminal.

With victims being disarmed, and no more death penalty to worry about - how on earth are they going to continue committing cirimes? :rolleyes:

This is ridiculous, they are in essence passing PRO-CRIMINAL legislation.

As far as the Death Penalty being pro-criminal --

I need to say I am against the death penalty. This stance is for common sense reasons. Saving money.

From Fox News ...

"An Urban Institute study of Maryland ... . Since 1978, the cost to taxpayers for the five executions the state carried out was $37.2 million dollars — each.

For the Trial alone, a single death-penalty trial cost $1.9 million more than a non-death-penalty trial".

I don't care how you put them up , room, board and medical care for an inmate can not cost more than 2$ millon for the rest of his life. After that - every $ saved can be used for something useful. Some of that prison for life time money will give people jobs, owners of business that supply everything from food to lightbulbs will earn a bit extra too.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2010/03/27/just-cost-death-penalty-killer-state-budgets/#ixzz2LZBNzkOo

Kevp

Ultimate Member
    Apr 17, 2008
    Emails sent to the Judicial Committee as a whole; key members of the committee; and phone calls made to Muse and Zirkin.

rambling_one

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Bowie, MD
    Called all SJC members...talked to two receptionists, the rest going to voice mail.

One of the offices that had a live person was Senator Brochin's.

I told the gentleman that I was opposed SB281, that the Administration has gone entirely in the wrong direction regarding the gun issue, and that from my perspective emphasis needed to be placed on keeping criminals in jail and the mental ill off the streets.

This routine call turned into a cordial discussion. The gentleman said there was an ongoing discussion re tightening up the health issue, but didn't address the revolving door.

He was interested in letting me talk so I told him about the killing yesterday in Prince George's County of a 27 year old guy by someone high on PCP; that I was licensed to carry out of state, but would not have been able to defend myself in MD under a similar scenario; and that standard size handguns have a magazine capacity greater than 10 rounds.

Give Senator Brochin a call. He and Senator Muse seem the most likely to listen to reasoned, well thought out arguments on this issue.

Patrick

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Calvert County
    Ok all. Today is the day. If you haven't sent your emails. Do so right now. Take 1 minute and just send them an email telling them you oppose the bill. Doesn't have to say more than that. Let's make this the only thing they'll be able to read!

Send to the Senate Judicial Proceedings Committee today. They will be voting probably tonight on this. Let's keep the pressure on all evening.

http://actionmail.ksconline.net/

Update: It looks like Senator Muse and possibly Senator Zirkin are going to be the swing votes. Let's push them off the fence onto our side with phone calls.

Senator C. Anthony Muse (D-26)
    301-858-3092
    fax: (410) 841-3410 fax: (301) 858-3410
    anthony.muse@senate.state.md.us

Senator Bobby A. Zirkin (D-11)
    410-841-3131
    fax: (410) 841-3737 fax: (301) 858-3737
    bobby.zirkin@senate.state.md.us

Zrikin, Muse and Brochin have been MIA all day in committee. Even their staffers claim to not know where they are.

Very unusual. Seriously. Not normal.

Schwabe

Ultimate Member
    Nov 20, 2010
    Sho'a
    As far as the Death Penalty being pro-criminal --

I need to say I am against the death penalty. This stance is for common sense reasons. Saving money.

From Fox News ...

"An Urban Institute study of Maryland ... . Since 1978, the cost to taxpayers for the five executions the state carried out was $37.2 million dollars — each.

For the Trial alone, a single death-penalty trial cost $1.9 million more than a non-death-penalty trial".

I don't care how you put them up , room, board and medical care for an inmate can not cost more than 2$ millon for the rest of his life. After that - every $ saved can be used for something useful. Some of that prison for life time money will give people jobs, owners of business that supply everything from food to lightbulbs will earn a bit extra too.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2010/03/27/just-cost-death-penalty-killer-state-budgets/#ixzz2LZBNzkOo

It costs close to $50k per year to keep somebody in jail plus the trial cost. Life in prison does not save you much if at all and they ALWAYS have the chance to get out. The trial costs so much because it is dragged out for a decade. Part of the trial cost IS the incarceration. Sorry, but for a "convicted" murderer the death penality has to be an option.

But the FREE state will vote to "remove" the death penality as a option for MURDERERS and turn law-abiding, lawfully empoyed, tax-paying citizens into criminals simply by not acting and submitting to finger priniting like a sex offender, registration of legaly purchased and taxed firearms, and paying a licensing fee of $430 to exercise an inalienable right on property they already LEGALLY own. :mad54::mad54::mad54:

Waitwhat

Feb 19, 2013
    Zrikin, Muse and Brochin have been MIA all day in committee. Even their staffers claim to not know where they are.

Very unusual. Seriously. Not normal.

While I don't normally like to jump straight to conspiracy theories, that does seem rather odd.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    loops12

Latest threads

Top Bottom