• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ghost40

Apr 29, 2015
    I apologize since I'm sure this is covered here in depth, but I am confused about an SBR build.

I am considering building an SBR and as I understand overall length is still 29". A 10.5"(I think) barrel will get me there as long and the muzzle device is permanent (pinned?). I assume an adjustable stock complies as well. And from what I read it's considered a handgun in MD so HBAR doesn't apply.
    And there is a special form from the ATF?

Did I miss anything?

Thanks!!

Klunatic

Ultimate Member
    Feb 28, 2011
    Montgomery Cty
    Brake does not need to be pinned. 10.2 should get you to 29" OAL. I assume you have a lower, you need to fill out the new form 1 and send in to ATF with $200.

sailskidrive

Legalize the Constitution
    Oct 16, 2011
    Route 27
    So if the muzzle device is pinned the barrel could be shorter than 10.5", correct? (Depending on the length of the muzzle device)

I'm thinking about doing this to a 9mm AR.

RossL

Dec 29, 2015
    Slight tangential question. Have you started filling out the paperwork? On the website, the PDF has 3 copies of effectively the same forms but you can only fill out the first set (https://www.atf.gov/file/11281/download). Do we need to fill out the other 2 as well and also provide a 3 picture IDs? I asked the ATF but haven't had a response yet.

Klunatic

Ultimate Member
    Feb 28, 2011
    Montgomery Cty
    Unless they changed the process you need to submit 2 copies to the NFA branch with the $200 check. I would keep a third copy for you records. Just fill out one and print off 3 copies.

RossL

Dec 29, 2015
    Unless they changed the process you need to submit 2 copies to the NFA branch with the $200 check. I would keep a third copy for you records. Just fill out one and print off 3 copies.
    So I need to fill out the 2nd set by hand? The PDF doesn't let you edit the 2nd or 3rd set.

SneakySh0rty

Aug 22, 2013
    Pasadena
    No, just fill out the 1st form and print 3 copies.

Makes no sense, but thanks!

The new Form 1s (revise date of May 2016) are fillable and contain all 3 copies in 1 pdf. All you need to do is fill out the "ATF Copy" and it will start to fill out all the other copies (CLEO and Return to Registrant form).

That is why you cant type into the other copies. Reason why CLEO has fields greyed out or less is because apparently they dont need the same amount of information.

I would refer to the NFA section for more info.

Edit: Just remember it is after July 13, so a Responsible persons questionnaire will need to be filled out, also fingerprint cards and pics.

Elgan

NRA Endowment Member
    Sep 4, 2012
    Harford County
    For those curious, you can easily make a 10.5" barrel reach the 29" OAL, likely without too much fussing on the rear end or pinning/welding the muzzle device. I have an 8.5" 300 BLK I'm planning on SBRing, and the muzzle device won't be permanently attached, however, I'll have to use a VLTOR A5 7-pos extension tube, a Magpul ACS-L stock, and an extended buttpad to get me right at 29". See Hawkeye's very helpful post here.

The EASIEST way to get SBR measurements, if you have a legal AR pistol lower (which allows ownership and possession of any short-barreled upper pre-Form 1 approval) and a spare full-size rifle AR lower (who doesn't these days?), I've found the easiest way to get your intended SBR measurements is to measure the length of the assembled short upper from the end of the threaded muzzle (birdcage or other muzzle device removed) to the end of the upper receiver. Then, you can mount the intended buffer/stock system for your SBR ON A FULL-SIZE RIFLE-LENGTH AR (so you're essentially just swapping stocks), and measure that length from the front of the area where you screw on the buffer tube (where the upper meets the lower along the bore axis) to the very end of a fully-extended buttstock. Add those two measurements up, and that's what your SBR OAL would be, should you attach the former upper with the latter lower/stock combo.

Again, you'd have to have a legal AR pistol lower (transferred as "other" on a 4473) in order to possess a short upper (unless, of course, you already have a stamp for an approved AR-format SBR), and a spare rifle-length AR lower (pre-10/13 or not, doesn't matter) to attach the stock to.

The reason I state having a pistol lower is because if you find out the OAL WON'T reach 29" for MD-legal SBR length with the longest stock system you can devise from "permanently attached" parts, that upper can only be used on a pistol-format lower. I've found that having a few stripped lowers around solves this issue as well. For $50 each, a couple spare Andersons is cheap insurance against all that "constructive possession/intent" nonsense.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    OK, 41P is now the law.

So do not need to get CLEO sign off. But you do need to send a copy to the CLEO.

You DO need to submit photos and fingerprints, even if you have a trust (all trustees will need to submit photos and fingerprints).

94hokie

Mar 29, 2015
    Severna Park, MD
    So if the muzzle device is pinned the barrel could be shorter than 10.5", correct? (Depending on the length of the muzzle device)

I'm thinking about doing this to a 9mm AR.

I found that for a 9mm AR, in order to get to 29'', i had to go to a slightly longer stock like the ACS-L with a 10.5'' barrel

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    lsmitty67

Latest threads

Top Bottom