• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • crazycarl7

Feb 21, 2009
    With all the talk about pistol braces going on, I figured I would ask what’s the deal in MD with SBR’s? Can you have one? I’m sure I could google it, but I figured it deserved its own thread for those that needed the info.

atblis

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    SBRs are good to go but you need to be at 29" oal or longer. That's due to the copycat thing in MD law.

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    What typical barrel length have you guys seen get you to that OAL length?

An AR with a 10.3 inch barrel with non-pinned muzzle device is JUST under 29 inches OAL with fully extended standard carbine stock.

BUT a few stocks will get you over the hump. The B5 Bravo gets you to just over 29 inches with a standard carbine stock.

11.5inch barreled AR will be good to go with any combination.

If you use a Vltor A5 buffer set up or a rifle length buffer tube then you could go a bit shorter since the tubes are longer.

SpecE46

Nov 19, 2020
    Cecil Co
    Sorry if this is a dumb question, but when measuring OAL of a rifle with an adjustable stock, for purposes of meeting the minimum 29” length, what position should the stock be in? For example, if the OAL is 28” when the stock is fully collapsed, is that an issue?

outrider58

Cold Damp Spaces
    MDS Supporter
    Sorry if this is a dumb question, but when measuring OAL of a rifle with an adjustable stock, for purposes of meeting the minimum 29” length, what position should the stock be in? For example, if the OAL is 28” when the stock is fully collapsed, is that an issue?
    OAL is always measured with the stock fully extended.
    Save yourself the trouble of, first finding a 10.3" barrel, and then going through the gyrations of finding and spending more money on expensive, oftentimes hard to find, extra long buffer tubes.
    Just buy a 10.5" barrel. They are quite common and easy to find in normal times.

GolfR

Ultimate Member
    Oct 20, 2016
    Columbia MD
    I second outrider’s suggestion. I will caution that this is predicated on a 223 or 300blk caliber. 9mm barrels run a bit shorter and I had to go with an 11 in to get enough length.

outrider58

Cold Damp Spaces
    MDS Supporter

Kharn

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2008
    Hazzard County
    Remember MD's restriction is:
    "(iii) a semiautomatic centerfire rifle that has an overall length of less than 29 inches;"

So if you have a single shot firearm, it doesn't apply.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    cfreeman818

Latest threads

Top Bottom