• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • drott

Apr 18, 2007
    Trapture that is awesome! Thanks for sharing the pics too. I love stuff like that, how do I legally do the same thing? Is there a website or online resource that explains how to put together a kit gun like that? How do you take a parts kit that's all sawed up and manage to piece together a nice functional (and legal) gun like you have there? Would you mind explaining some of the process? I'd be interested in maybe building my own sten gun, sounds totally cool.

trapture

Surplus Rifle Lover
    Apr 27, 2007
    Dundalk-Ish
    www.semiautosten.com -> Only ATF Approved Semi-Auto Kit made for the Sten Mks II-V. Uses AR15 Firing Pins and open bolt. Don't do what they show in Shotgun News that is really on the boarderline of illegal. I paid 40 for the kit (now anywhere from 60-100), 200 for the stamp, 130 for a 80% complete receiver and then the cost of the SAS3 kit. My price was reduced because I ordered my kit without the reciever tube and the template. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND if anyone wants to do a Sten Build go to Yahoo Groups and join Sten9mm and STENS groups. They are a huge resource and a few of the members even own transferable full autos.

TRapture

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    Thanks much Trapture, I have a deactivated Sten sitting in my closet I bought a fdw years ago waiting for me to do something with it.

drott

Apr 18, 2007
    Thanks trapture, I joined the yahoo sten group, looks like a great source of info. Going to try and learn about the homemade gun scene, sounds like a lotta fun. Hope you don't mind me asking you some more questions later when I start to actually learn enough to have questions. :D

drott

Apr 18, 2007
    navycrna I think the chopped up stuff is usually replaced with new parts. I was looking on some websites and the receiver tube for the sten is available new, but it doesn't have any holes or slots cut into it. From what I'm learning, I think you get sawed up parts kits and the unfinished new parts in hand, then apply to the ATF, get approval first, pay your tax and then start cutting and drilling and piecing everything together. The tube shown below is steel receiver blank with a paper template glued to it which shows where you drill and cut to make your receiver.
    sastube.JPG

Although I also saw on an uzi website where a guy actually cut a segment out of a full size uzi receiver and then welded it back together to make a mini uzi receiver. So I guess sometimes even the sawed up parts can have a use if you're willing to go through the trouble to carefully reconsrtuct them by skillful welding/machining.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Scot2024

Latest threads

Top Bottom