• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Trumpet

SCSC/NRA life member. MSI member
    Oct 29, 2005
    Ok,
    So I want my fist SBR and have some questions ( I didn't see answers in other threads). I'm planning a 733-ish clone. I watched this video, for eforms and it's pretty clear.

I was wondering though, when do I get the lower engraved? Before I start the process, or during the "wait"? I know it's ideal to get the fingerprinting (Silencershop Kiosk) and passport photos done first. The next one is a bit of a "what would you do" type question. I'm debating if I should build it up as a braced pistol first, and then wait for the rumored "amnesty" and SBR it then...OR, just SBR it from the get-go?

Thoughts?

Trumpet

Oct 29, 2005
    Alright,
    Did my prints at a kiosk today, and ordered them from Silencershop. Also got my passport photo.

dwb1987

Mar 6, 2013
    Frederick County
    I'm debating if I should build it up as a braced pistol first, and then wait for the rumored "amnesty" and SBR it then...OR, just SBR it from the get-go?

Thoughts?

Just sbr it now (as long as your setup is over 29in). Your lookin at 60ish day wait. Its still unknown how this amnesty bs is gonna play out. Not guaranteed a free stamp, and if so they sure as **** arent gonna suddenly get more efficient, who knows how long it will take.

Also you can order print cards from atf for free and buy a ink pad from amazon dirt cheap. Its easy to print yourself.

Plus imo, if you take part in the amnesty you are admitting you committed a crime, not something id want to do with this current fed gov.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Plus imo, if you take part in the amnesty you are admitting you committed a crime, not something id want to do with this current fed gov.
    No, you aren’t. It’s a path to KEEPING your gun legal.

Abagnale

Jan 27, 2022
    I wouldn't recommend registering anything.... This lesson should have been learned years ago after it was encouraged on this very forum to register for an extension to keep your "rapid fire" devices..... If you register your pistol braced firearm they will be coming to take it from you when they do pass another "assault weapons" ban. You basically at that point have given them everything they need to take it. Pictures, serial number, length etc... Only a fool when trust the government especially in this day and age.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I wouldn't recommend registering anything.... This lesson should have been learned years ago after it was encouraged on this very forum to register for an extension to keep your "rapid fire" devices..... If you register your pistol braced firearm they will be coming to take it from you when they do pass another "assault weapons" ban. You basically at that point have given them everything they need to take it. Pictures, serial number, length etc... Only a fool when trust the government especially in this day and age.
    At the risk of sounding sensible, if the OPs intent is to have a legal SBR, then I would advise he follow the law.
    I will agree, however, the "free" stamp is a pipedream. Pay the 2hunskies and get your stamp.

dwb1987

Mar 6, 2013
    Frederick County
    No, you aren’t. It’s a path to KEEPING your gun legal.

Its the ATF deciding something is now illegal, that they once said is legal, that you have to provide them photographic proof that you have for amnesty.

A Form 1 is a " Application to Make and Register a Firearm", not register an existing firearm. If you already have what they now deem to be a SBR, and word is you are going to need to provide photographic evidence, then you have a SBR with out a stamp and providing them evidence. Will the feds share that with state gov? This is a fed "amnesty" not a state. Plus I think that if they are going to use the score sheet that is floating around, most will not actually qualify for the "free" stamp and ATF will tell them to pay $200 or get rid of it one way or another.

RRomig

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 30, 2021
    Burtonsville MD
    The most I’m doing right now is lining up a couple tubes and stocks because they’ll get used anyway. Other than that I’ll wait til the ink is dry

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    So I got my print cards, photos, and I'm going to do the eforms this weekend. Now, engraving...since I can't find anyone local I'm looking at sending it out. Any recommended engravers? I'm looking at Penn Armory https://pennarmory.com/shop/nfa-laser-engraving-sbr-form-1/

Under side of the receiver is cool?
    Where are you located, generally speaking?

There is no size requirement for engraving, only depth of the engraving matters. I have one on the trigger guard, on the starboard side of the mag well, you can even do it on the barrel if you want(you still provide the serial # of the host receiver and only use that lower).

Trumpet

Oct 29, 2005
    Ahhh...BGOS. I get it.

Anyway, I'm in S. PG. I'm thinking of inside trigger guard or some recommend inside lip of the magwell.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Ahhh...BGOS. I get it.

Anyway, I'm in S. PG. I'm thinking of inside trigger guard or some recommend inside lip of the magwell.
    The only stipulation is the laser(most people use them for firearm engraving) needs an unobstructed path to the engrave site. Inside the trigger guard might be tricky, but I don't honestly know.

Check out this list...

Trumpet

Oct 29, 2005
    Alright! Finished the eforms. Got my cover sheet in the email, printed with print cards ready to mail out. Do I have to mail anything the CLEO? I thought I was, but I don't see anything indicating that. Since I attached my passport photo to the eForms, do I not need to submit more?

NM...it looks like I just need to send a copy of the 5320.1 that was emailed to me. Any need for it to be sent certified like the ATF prints/cover letter, or just "regular" mail?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom