• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    Just by going off what is being said on Scott's website...it looks like as long as I can prove this was built with the pistol grip originally years back, I should be able to add the 14 inch barrel, as long as I do it in my own home and do not plan to sell it. The overall length including birds head grip will bring it to 26.5 inches which will make it legal in MD.

but I would need an HQL to possess, correct?

Keep us updated on your mission to establish that you have an "other", but an FFL/gun store selling you this configuration is, in my view, the safer path.

SneakySh0rty

Aug 22, 2013
    Pasadena
    Just by going off what is being said on Scott's website...it looks like as long as I can prove this was built with the pistol grip originally years back, I should be able to add the 14 inch barrel, as long as I do it in my own home and do not plan to sell it. The overall length including birds head grip will bring it to 26.5 inches which will make it legal in MD.

but I would need an HQL to possess, correct?

My answer is still no. Like i said before, why does it matter if this shotgun has a stock or just a pistol grip? You can buy a mossberg 500 today with just a pistol grip on it. And if you throw a shorter barrel on it you just made an NFA item. And if you dont have the the approved form 1, you just broke fed law. His shotgun is a shotgun, nothing else.

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    The shotgun has to be bought at a gun store that designated it IN THE NICS CALL that this is an "OTHER" firearm sale, which for a shotgun means it is not sold with a shoulder stock but a pistol grip.

As Scott's Gunsmithing did with a trailblazing set-up, the "other" category provide a lot of flexibility.

When buying a Mossy or Rem with a pistol grip at a gun store, 99% of the FFLs will call it in as a long gun.

SneakySh0rty

Aug 22, 2013
    Pasadena
    I think I figured out part of my confusion on this.
    http://shockwavetechnologies.com/site/?page_id=88

So not an AOW like Pinecone suggested because like erwos said, not under 26". So just listed as a firearm.

Edit:
    So could he get in contact with mossberg with the serial number and see if his shotgun was truly a PGO from the manufacturer or if someone decided to throw a pistol grip on the mossberg later?If it was initially a PGO, then gtg on throwing on a shorter barrel. If the latter, does that mean if he were to attach a shorter barrel THEN he would have to go through the ATF right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    lsmitty67

Latest threads

Top Bottom