• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Redneck

Ultimate Member
    Jan 29, 2007
    Sparrows Point
    Does anybody have a scale that I could borrow to weigh a rifle of mine? I'm dying to know what my DPMS .308 weighs. I want to know mainly for comparison purposes. I'll be in the market for another deer rifle sometime, I use the AR 10 now but its so damn heavy and would like to be able to compare weights to see if I can really notice a few pounds difference.

pop-gunner

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2008
    Doesn't matter how much it weighs, it's too damn much. Ship it off to Compass Lake and have them turn the profile down. You know it's an accurate barrel so there's no reason to replace it. They can either flute it or turn the whole thing down.
    Last I checked it was under $125 for them to disassemble my upper, turn the barrel down, refinish the barrel, and reassemble.

http://www.compasslake.com/

Redneck

Ultimate Member
    Jan 29, 2007
    Sparrows Point
    Doesn't matter how much it weighs, it's too damn much. Ship it off to Compass Lake and have them turn the profile down. You know it's an accurate barrel so there's no reason to replace it. They can either flute it or turn the whole thing down.
    Last I checked it was under $125 for them to disassemble my upper, turn the barrel down, refinish the barrel, and reassemble.

http://www.compasslake.com/

Pretty neat idea

pop-gunner

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2008
    My RCBS trigger pull scale doesn't go over 8lbs but some others may go higher.

If you have a trigger pull scale you could always weigh the upper and lower separate. Should get you pretty close as long as the upper doesn't max out your scale.

ThumperIII

Jun 11, 2009
    Maryland
    Many of the digital fish scales weigh quite accurately over almost the entire range of the scale. My Rapala 50lb scale measures to nearest 0.01 lb and less than 2% off true weight. You can always do a few check points with measured (volume) amounts of fresh water in a (light weight) plastic bag. For your purposes the temperature of the water will not be important. Cold water faucet temp is fine.

................ Pounds .................Grams ...........Kilograms .
    Liter ........2.204684 (2.20) ...1000.028 ...... 1.000028
    Gallon .....8.345404 (8.35) ...3785.4118 .....3.7854118

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davidbanner

Latest threads

Top Bottom