• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tihsho

Secret Asian Man
    Aug 23, 2011
    Frederick & HoCo, MD
    Grabbing the last of the things I need on the bench to get the first few loads out on my new 550B. One of those things still happen to be a scale. No matter who I've spoken to, it seems that scale preference is all based on what you grew up using. That said though, I'm interested to hear what ya'll have on your benches at home.

I spoke to a few people this weekend at the show while I was grabbing a few odds and ends and I heard everything from Lyman beam scales to Hornady digital's. The one that seemed to get references a lot was a Dillon D-Terminator Digital. Trying to figure out whether it's worth the plunge to a digital or just K.I.S.S. and go with a beam.

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    I have an RCBS 505 beam and an RCBS 1500 Chargemaster combo. The beam gets used very little, but it good to have it just in case.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    RCBS 505 here. Made by Ohaus. Over 35 years of flawless service with no complaints.

Certainly other options out there. But for me, it's a scale I've never had a compelling reason to want to replace.

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    RCBS chargemaster 1500 here...I started with a Scott Parker tuned beam scale and it took too long. I still use it to verify the charge master today.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    RCBS 505 here. Made by Ohaus. Over 35 years of flawless service with no complaints.

Certainly other options out there. But for me, it's a scale I've never had a compelling reason to want to replace.
    Agreed... after several scales, including some electronics, I keep going back to a beam. It's quicker and more reliable for me.

Doug33w

Aug 22, 2010
    Sykesville, MD
    I've been using a chargemaster for the past several months and I have been happy with it. Before that I was using a Gempro but it does not appear it survived the move to my new house. When it worked it was accurate. I need to mail it back to the manufacturer and get a new one.

tkd4life

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2010
    Southern Maryland
    I use a gem pro. I have an ohaus 505 that was giving me issues. I would zero it with just the pan, then it wouldn't read check weights right. The gem pro gives me powder readings +/- 0.02 grains. I like the digital scale much more.

Doobie

Ultimate Member
    Jan 23, 2013
    Earth
    Hornady Lock -N- Load auto charge powder scale, PACT digital scale, and an old RCBS 505(metal body, looks like new.) The 505 does the same thing that tkd4life describes. The PACT was all over the map until I discovered that I needed to put it down inside of a Tupperware container to keep any little draft away from it because the slightest "breeze" or sneeze would cause it to read erratic.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Originally a Lyman beam. My Dad has is now.

Mainly a Dillon beam scale. That is used to set my powder measures.

I also have an RCBS Chargemaster to dropped precision rifle charges. But I also have scale check weights and after doing the factory calibration steps, I double check that the scale reads accurately at as close to the actual charges I am throwing as I can get.

Tihsho

Secret Asian Man
    Aug 23, 2011
    Frederick & HoCo, MD
    I should clarify as some of the posts made clear I forgot something. For those using a progressive press, which scales do you use to calibrate your powder thrower? Till now I didn't understand why some people went with auto chargers, but that is because they are hand loading match rounds or not using a progressive with powder charge stage. Sorry for my ignorance! But that said though, throw up what you use for your hand loads/single stage setups! I know I'll be doing some match grade 308 in the future in a single stage, so might as well get all the info at once :)

Trekker

Oct 20, 2011
    Harford County
    I have a RCBS 505 from my RCBS (rockchucker) setup prior to upgrading to the Dillion 550B. I have never had any problems with the 505, so I still use it.

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    Can't remember the model number, either RCBS 505 or 510 beam scale. (I'll have to look.)

A friend of mine picked up a BUNCH of reloading stuff at a yard sale, and got two of the "expensive" RCBS beam scales, NIB (don't remember the model #) and "shared the wealth"......... for $10.00.
    :party29::party29:

Sheeeeeesh. I used to know those model numbers. Getting old ain't for sissies.

ETA: Just looked.
    Oldest scale is an RCBS 510 scale. Bought it new in '79.
    Newest scale is an RCBS 1010.

Last edited:

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    I've had an Ohaus for 35 years. Second owner IIRC, first owner had it for about years. Still in excellent condition. It is a backip to a PACT I have been using for somewhere around 10 years. It is much faster and less sensitive to air movement but is on pan placement. That's what PACT indicates though I haven't gotten more than 0.1 grain variation when placing the pan noticably off center to test where the pan placement range is.

Trekker

Oct 20, 2011
    Harford County
    Can't remember the model number, either RCBS 505 or 510 beam scale. (I'll have to look.)

A friend of mine picked up a BUNCH of reloading stuff at a yard sale, and got two of the "expensive" RCBS beam scales, NIB (don't remember the model #) and "shared the wealth"......... for $10.00.
    :party29::party29:

Sheeeeeesh. I used to know those model numbers. Getting old ain't for sissies.

The more expensive version of the RCBS beam scale is the 10-10 I believe. It has a clear plastic cover that encloses all the parts when you pack it up.

We all need friends like yours. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Drake1990$

Latest threads

Top Bottom