• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ultra Wookie

May 23, 2010
    The Scandalous North
    I have been not been able to find out much information concerning the release date for this weapon from any legitimate sources. I have heard from the particular dealer I have one of these beasts pre-paid for at, that he "thinks" they might start to trickle out of FN sometime between now and June, supposedly. Just wondering if any fellow MD Shooters members have any info less vague concerning this. I went crazy and had to pre-pay $2800 for the damn thing, and have been twidling my thumbs waiting for it for the last four months waiting for it to come in. Also... has anyone heard of the SCAR series L/16S or H/17S having issues with mounted electronics, optics, lasers etc where the recoil impulse comes into play? Heard vague talk about electronics becoming damaged and or not functioning properly. If anyone can elaborate, confirm or deny this I would appreciate it.

Kevp

Ultimate Member
    Apr 17, 2008
    The last I heard was July. I would expect a debut similar to the 16S with limited numbers and outrageous $. Apparently some dealers are taking orders as I saw that SCAR ordered one and was quoted just below $3K. I am not jumping on this one right away as I've heard mixed reports from the field about them. I've shot the SCAR H on full auto and it was very nice, but there have been reports of the recoil impulse tearing up electonics- must be the SOPMOD EO Techs :D. Mags will probably be an issue as I've heard they are modified FAL mags. Again, not definitive information. I would not rush to be the first on the block to have one. Lesson learned from other similar platforms of late...lets see if there are bugs and if so, how they are worked out.

Ultra Wookie

May 23, 2010
    The Scandalous North
    The last I heard was July. I would expect a debut similar to the 16S with limited numbers and outrageous $. Apparently some dealers are taking orders as I saw that SCAR ordered one and was quoted just below $3K. I am not jumping on this one right away as I've heard mixed reports from the field about them. I've shot the SCAR H on full auto and it was very nice, but there have been reports of the recoil impulse tearing up electonics- must be the SOPMOD EO Techs :D. Mags will probably be an issue as I've heard they are modified FAL mags. Again, not definitive information. I would not rush to be the first on the block to have one. Lesson learned from other similar platforms of late...lets see if there are bugs and if so, how they are worked out.

July!!! Does FN know how busy I am? :cool: lol... I am kind of hoping that does not happen... while I have pre-paid my dealer for one, if something like that goes down again in the case of the 17S than I could see him trying to Squirrel an extra couple hundred bucks out of my account for it as "price subject to change" happens to be part of the technical garble jibber jab on my pre-order. I did get to fire off two mags at a range up here my one buddy works at, with the SCAR L/16S and found it was enjoyable... though safe/semi only. I just have never been a big fan of 5.56, otherwise I might have given into the temptation to buy one of the L/16S.

I have not heard too much about it other than electronic optics such as the EO's, and things like PEQ2's, and even some of the fancier DBAL type stuff getting eaten up. Which is why I am also debating weather it was smart to preorder one of these things pre-issues being worked out. Those being only a few potential issues, but I saw the H/17S and insanity followed.

I was debating on snagging up an optics, lighting, and electronics package for it during the wait.. Surefire M900V Led/Vert grip, and more than likely a "fancy" laser/ir solution... assuming the impulse factor wont eat them.
    http://www.trijicon.com/user/parts/products1.cfm?PartID=554&back_row=4&categoryID=3

I'll provide reports on its issues/performance with and without the junk on it obviously... when I get it. If in fact my dealers "sometime between now and June" timeline proves accurate, I will be coming down to Deal Island sometime mid-late June. If I have it before then, I'll bring it for range/testing purposes. If not, I am sure I'll be bitching and crying about it while drinking my ass off. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    illlocs33

Latest threads

Top Bottom