• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rex0915

Jul 26, 2012
    Westminster, MD
    After an NFA lost in the mail incident, my favorite rifle is finally set up the way I've always wanted it.

Cant wait to take it out this weekend.

Attachments

• scar.jpg
      scar.jpg
      101.3 KB · Views: 960

amoebicmagician

Samopal Goblin
    Dec 26, 2012
    Columbia, MD
    ugh, don't SBR that gun, please!

You're giving up so much when you SBR a .308

it's literally PERFECT the way it is.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE don't ruin something this wonderful by chopping it up!

peace

Ultimate Member
    Dec 15, 2011
    AACo
    ugh, don't SBR that gun, please!

You're giving up so much when you SBR a .308

it's literally PERFECT the way it is.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE don't ruin something this wonderful by chopping it up!

Umm...

Please elaborate?? You are giving up maybe 200 FPS to go to 12"? You do know the issue SCAR-H has a 12" barrel?

peace

Ultimate Member
    Dec 15, 2011
    AACo
    Unless the OP is going for long-range accuracy, I agree...it's too much barrel on the front of that thing, especially with the suppressor. For a 100-200 yard range, an SBR ought to be fine. And you conserve a little energy with the suppressor as well.

Suppressors would actually increase speed, thus increasing energy on target because of the small jump in freebore. Were talking 20-30 FPS but in the grand scheme of things it helps.

A SCAR 17S with a 12.5" barrel + a suppressor would see velocities in the 2350-2370 FPS range with a 175 SMK.

That's going transonic at about 850 yards and absolutely crushes a 16"/18" 223 in terms of ballistics performance whether it be in amount of drop or energy on target.

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/20...t-barrel-length-muzzle-velocity-and-accuracy/

That doesn't mean run out and chop all barrels because with an SBR its possible but with a longer barrel its easier.

kenpo333

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 18, 2012
    Salisbury Maryland
    You have each firearm for different reasons and IMHO a 20 inch barrel at range will be much more accurate than at 13'. So if you really want to reach out and touch someone leave it long. It you want to know something off its feet at 200 yards chopit. What do you think?

peace

Ultimate Member
    Dec 15, 2011
    AACo
    You have each firearm for different reasons and IMHO a 20 inch barrel at range will be much more accurate than at 13'. So if you really want to reach out and touch someone leave it long. It you want to know something off its feet at 200 yards chopit. What do you think?

It really depends on your definition of long. But yes there are correct tools for every job.

Rex0915

Jul 26, 2012
    Westminster, MD
    It is long for sure. I have a couple platforms i'm going to try the suppressor on including the Tavor. Overall length isn't bad at all on it, however I heard gas blowback could be an issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    lsmitty67

Latest threads

Top Bottom