• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    The SFAR looks pretty slick I have to admit. But parts are proprietary.

I also prefer to build. I'm an Aero fanboi so typ buy sets from them. An adjustable gas block is pretty much necessary to dial in any AR perfect.

7.62N had about 2x the energy as 5.56. Physics dictate it will have 2x the recoil. Weight can help tame that. Don't be fooled by any marketing where they say their system has the same recoil as 5.56. They're lying (unless their gun weighs 2x that of the AR15.)
    When you're done with an Aero build what do you value your gun at? I have an Aero that someone else built with higher end components. Elftman trigger, BA 16" heavy barrel 1:10. It's a shooter. I traded for it in the hopes of selling it but no one was interested. I had a 1" group at 100yds using 168gr FGMM and a 6X LPVO scope. It has a custom Cerakote paint job I'm not super fond of but it is what it is.

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    Uh oh I may need to trade in my .50 Beo. Does the upper fit DPMS pattern lowers or something else?
    Mine is all custom. BHA makes one but they machine the AR10 lower to use an AR15 magazine in single stack config. I deemed that unacceptable ;) 500 doesn't perfectly double stack in a magpul AR10 mag and tries to push the sides out making it very 'sticky' getting into the receiver. I picked up a metal mag some time ago and am going to weld on it to reinforce it. BHA didn't want to make a custom mag so I understand why they did what they did. I knew these difficulties going in but I think I can deal w/ it. For sure a 45 Raptor would have been more straightforward!

When you're done with an Aero build what do you value your gun at?
    Have never valued a gun. They are built the way I want and it is what it is. My first AR10 build was a Mega MaTen because I liked the way the receiver was slant cut like a SR-25.

TI-tick

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    MDS Supporter
    Good luck on finding a PWS AR 10. Another MDS'er and I have been looking for years w/o success.

I do have a LMT MWS nib paired with a Nightforce scope. Heavy is right. I bought it at the recommendation of a Marine. Yet to shoot it and IIRC it was > $2k.

kstone803

Official Meat Getter
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ltown in the SMC
    This is likely what I'll be getting to scratch the large pattern AR itch. I normally would build one but I shot this rifle and fell in love with it.

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    This is likely what I'll be getting to scratch the large pattern AR itch. I normally would build one but I shot this rifle and fell in love with it.

Thats a pretty damn sexy looking gun. Love how they flow the handguard mount into the upper.
    My only factory AR10 is a Sig 716 DMR (gen 1) which came w/ a quad rail. Aesthetics are not its strong suite. Speaking of heavy, I think it is 12# before adding glass.

inkd

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge
    Good luck on finding a PWS AR 10. Another MDS'er and I have been looking for years w/o success.

I do have a LMT MWS nib paired with a Nightforce scope. Heavy is right. I bought it at the recommendation of a Marine. Yet to shoot it and IIRC it was > $2k.
    There are 3 on Gunbroker right now. Not sure what they normally list for. But, these seem to be pricey.

kmittleman

Nov 22, 2010
    Howard County
    There are 3 on Gunbroker right now. Not sure what they normally list for. But, these seem to be pricey.
    Thanks for all of the replies guys. For this first AR10 I’m just looking for a reliable factory offering, not a build. Any suggestions for those?

K

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    Thanks for all of the replies guys. For this first AR10 I’m just looking for a reliable factory offering, not a build. Any suggestions for those?

K

I don't know the member posting but this is one of several 308 ar pattern guns in the classifies here.

I've bought and sold quite a few things here and had generally positive experience doing so.

TI-tick

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    MDS Supporter
    Hard pass on second hand and at those prices.

PWS strives to evolve. Their AR-15's are bad assed.
    But it's been at least 2 years since they had a 308 on the market.
    They recently brought out a silencer so maybe they are going in that direction; a la muzzle devices.

IDK what they are doing with 308.
    I emailed them years ago and was told to stand by.
    Long wait sucks.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    Hard pass on second hand and at those prices.

PWS strives to evolve. Their AR-15's are bad assed.
    But it's been at least 2 years since they had a 308 on the market.
    They recently brought out a silencer so maybe they are going in that direction; a la muzzle devices.

IDK what they are doing with 308.
    I emailed them years ago and was told to stand by.
    Long wait sucks.
    Pws doesn't advertise much and.they are a smaller shop. Also keep in mind that there are a lot of professional end users (including some foreign) that they service. POF has greater production capacity.

[Kev308]

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 23, 2020
    Maryland
    I recently put together PA 10 gen3 308
    20” stainless barrel with a Vortex 5x Prism with red dot atop.

Haven’t shot it yet but I’ll be taking it out this weekend. I’ll give an update on accuracy.
    AF3F81C9-9397-45E2-871E-2BCB92B5BA25.jpeg

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    I have a Windham 308.
    Works good on sika deers with core lockts for back in those piney murky places.
    It's been some time since I used it last.
    You have to be aware, not to ride the charging handle down and use the forward assist after a long walk and its cold out.
    Otherwise its good in a boat and going through the brush and cripples with that short barrel.

Sirex

Powered by natural gas
    Oct 30, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    I have a M&P 10 and like it. I like the ambi controls, it's reasonably accurate, but it launches the brass into the next county over. It has some proprietary parts, so upgrading would be more complicated. It's evidently DPMS pattern but if you wanted to swap the barrel you'd have to change the BCG too from what I have read.

I have been very interested in the Ruger SFAR, but seen some videos where they had some issues, so I am going to wait a bit and see if they work the bugs out.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    I have a M&P 10 and like it. I like the ambi controls, it's reasonably accurate, but it launches the brass into the next county over. It has some proprietary parts, so upgrading would be more complicated. It's evidently DPMS pattern but if you wanted to swap the barrel you'd have to change the BCG too from what I have read.

I have been very interested in the Ruger SFAR, but seen some videos where they had some issues, so I am going to wait a bit and see if they work the bugs out.
    Ruger is an acronym for
    Rave
    Until
    Gun
    Experiences
    Recall

I own some ruger products and like a lot of them (sr556 and sr762 were tanks). Their mark series pistols are great. Their 77/22 and 10/22 rifles are benchmarks for rimfire durability.

Some of their newer stuff seems to be their engineers using customers as beta testers. After I did a bunch of work, my first gen lcp was finally reliable. I sold it once it ran as it still wasn't fun to shoot and felt cheesy. If their sfar is having trouble, I'm going to laugh and say they should have stuck to the sr762. A buddy has an sr556 that he drilled the giggle hole in and made it a postie. It keeps chugging when most other ars are having their gas tubes replaced on the bench at MG shoots. His POF is better still but thats not a fair comparison given their respective price points.

Sirex