• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • zxcvbnm

Jun 14, 2008
    After purchasing a few modern rifles, I have ended up wanting an original flintlock rifle for my collection. I am especially interested in something that may have helped win our independence, or at least as close as I can get to that time. I do not plan on ever shooting the rifle, but plan to keep it in a safe or keep it as a collectors item.

So where do I start? I've seen some Harper's Ferry rifles, but I guess I'm ultimately looking for something like a Springfield. Are there any IPs or stores in MD that keep an inventory of old rifles? Any good websites to visit?

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    There's a guy that has/had a store in Harpers Ferry. Can't recall the name. Been about five years since I was in there.

If he doesn't have something on his walls, he'd know where to send you.

Try Cherry's Guns in Greensboro, North Carolina too.

Good luck.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    If you want something used to win our independence,Charleville musket.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    The Charleville is a blast to shoot.

Got my replica 1766, made by Pedersoli, from Cherry's.

OP, Get a gun you can shoot. Cuzz black powder be fun.

ca18thc

Sep 7, 2013
    Hi, I picked up this Harpers Ferry model 1795 flintlock from Jim Prentice at the Baltimore Antique Arms Show this past March. Jim's father was the superintendent at Harper's Ferry and he grew up there. The lock plate is dated 1809. The gun is in great original condition, If you are looking for an American musket both the 1795 Harper's Ferry or Sprinfield are great choices. They were the first military muskets manufactured in the USA. I was drawn to the Harper's Ferry because I lived in West Virginia for fourteen years and love the area.

Jim has an interesting website at Harpersferryarmoryguns.com

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Nice musket, I have read that the committee of safety muskets from Massachusetts in 1774 were the first manufactured arms that were produced to prepare for the upcoming revolution but we were still just colonies at that time. Yours is part of the US musket contract of 1808 made at Harper's Ferry, which is later than the U.S. musket, model 1795 produced by Springfield if my literature is correct.

ca18thc

Sep 7, 2013
    Thanks for your thoughts, I had my musket evaluated by Harper's Ferry and they confirmed Jim Prentice's identification. According to Harper's Ferry, my musket is a model 1795. The model 1795 was produced at Harper's Ferry through 1818.

zxcvbnm

Jun 14, 2008
    Hi, I picked up this Harpers Ferry model 1795 flintlock from Jim Prentice at the Baltimore Antique Arms Show this past March. Jim's father was the superintendent at Harper's Ferry and he grew up there. The lock plate is dated 1809. The gun is in great original condition, If you are looking for an American musket both the 1795 Harper's Ferry or Sprinfield are great choices. They were the first military muskets manufactured in the USA. I was drawn to the Harper's Ferry because I lived in West Virginia for fourteen years and love the area.

Jim has an interesting website at Harpersferryarmoryguns.com

Thank you for the thorough response. If you don't mind me asking, how much did this rifle cost you? If you'd prefer you can PM me. This type of rifle is pretty much what I am looking for.

zxcvbnm

Jun 14, 2008
    If you want something used to win our independence,Charleville musket.

Starting to look into this as well! Thanks! I may try to get an original and a reproduction - one to shoot and one for the safe.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Thanks for your thoughts, I had my musket evaluated by Harper's Ferry and they confirmed Jim Prentice's identification. According to Harper's Ferry, my musket is a model 1795. The model 1795 was produced at Harper's Ferry through 1818.
    Did he say when construction was started on the armory? 1799 according to the National Historic Register. Alot of muskets were built there with examples provided by Springfield. The next model built there was the US flintlock musket model 1812 the left side of the stock has a cheek recess if made at Springfield which distinguishes it from the Harper's Ferry that was modeled into three patterns each having different characteristics of the bands.
    https://www.nps.gov/hafe/learn/historyculture/harpers-ferry-armory-and-arsenal.htm

ca18thc

Sep 7, 2013
    Did he say when construction was started on the armory? 1799 according to the National Historic Register. Alot of muskets were built there with examples provided by Springfield. The next model built there was the US flintlock musket model 1812 the left side of the stock has a cheek recess if made at Springfield which distinguishes it from the Harper's Ferry that was modeled into three patterns each having different characteristics of the bands.
    https://www.nps.gov/hafe/learn/historyculture/harpers-ferry-armory-and-arsenal.htm
    George Washington selected Harpers Ferry Virginia, for the location of the Harpers Ferry National Armory. in 1799, construction began. Three years later they started production of muskets.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Thats a beautiful musket and sure one to be proud of and I wouldn't give it up for anything. Thanks for posting pictures. Rarely are such examples found that the owners are willing to share their treasures with others on a public forum where they can be examined for all to see. Brian

ca18thc

Sep 7, 2013
    Thats a beautiful musket and sure one to be proud of and I wouldn't give it up for anything. Thanks for posting pictures. Rarely are such examples found that the owners are willing to share their treasures with others on a public forum where they can be examined for all to see. Brian
    Thank you Brain. My wife and I have been collecting antiques from the 1700s and early 1800s for many years. I feel that it is more about stewardship than ownership when caring for these pieces of history. Hopefully our ancestors will still be enjoying them 200 years from now. The musket is much more impressive in person than in photos. I am happy you enjoyed seeing them. Steve

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    cfreeman818

Latest threads

Top Bottom