• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Magnumst

Ultimate Member
    Mar 26, 2013
    As stated in other threads my 13yrd daughter is getting into the game and while looking at the rules and regs for the events I see different safety requirements and certs. Is there a specific training I should enroll her in that would cover most if not all these different rules and regs?

kalister1

R.I.P.
    May 16, 2008
    Pasadena Maryland
    I would start with talking to the Range Master at the range you plan on shooting at. Some run classes designed for what they shoot. I was the RO on the first stage we shot at the York Funshoot. Talk to Gary, Howard used to run classes. I don't know if he still does or not?
    Gary runs the Funshoot and Howard runs the Matches.

CypherPunk

Opinions Are My Own
    Apr 6, 2012
    NRA Range Safety Officer classes would be a good start and a great foundation.

If you didn't want to take it in person www.nrainstructors.org or www.frederickiwla.org (offered by Ben Kelkye quarterly- and highly recommend), the NRA offers it online as well.

After she joins groups like IDPA, is a member for a year, competes in 6 matches and turns 21 she can act as a IDPA Safety Officer - But she can and should take the IDPA SO class at any responsible age, as long as she passes the online pre-test.

I assume the other competitions have similar training opportunities.

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    If she hasn't had any formal safety training a good first step would be NRA first steps and the basic pistol, rifle and handgun courses.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    most places/competitions do not have any formal req's for safety classes or certs.

really it's just the very basics, the four rules, of which the big two are finger outside the triggerguard while doing everything but actually shooting (loading and unloading, clearing jams, moving between target arrays, changing mags), and always have the muzzle pointed generally downrange (including reloads etc). you can make up some dryfire stages at home and make sure she understands and accepts these rules and responsibilities.

as i have noted a few times, steel challenge is an excellent entry point as there is limited to no movement and really no reloading on the clock. perfect first competition.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    There are two sets of reg/rules. The match (idpa/uspsa etc) and range rule/regs.

There is not set cert unless she wants to be a safety officer in either category.

Magnumst

Ultimate Member
    Mar 26, 2013
    Where do you live and what you you consider your home range? That may help us with suggestions on where to go for some help

Thanks for all the in put :thumbsup: We live in Carroll county so there are several range's close by. Probably head over to AGC web page and see whats coming up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    illlocs33

Latest threads

Top Bottom