• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Aug 19, 2011
    Fredneck, MD
    I'll try to make this short as possible. I live in MOCO and need to pick out a range to use. Gilbert's is out as I can't afford it. It will be primarily handgun but I would prefer some place that I can bring my shotgun. I keep hearing about Izaak Walton and it seems great but I'm a bit confused about how it works. It sounds like its only open on the weekend but sometimes, if someone with RO training randomly decides to open on the weekday than you can shoot? On Target seems good but I'm not sure if they allow shotgun.

One last question. You cannot make any pit stops to and from the ranges with the weapons in your car, correct? Like, no stopping off and getting something to eat? Thanks fellas.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    http://associatedgunclubs.org/

the AGC has nice facilities, you need to belong to one of the clubs to shoot there. If you are interested I can send you info on joining my club, Mount Washington Rod & Gun.

Once you belong to a club a $150 range badge gets you access to all the ranges there, 363 1/2 days per year

Kingjamez

Gun Builder
    Oct 22, 2009
    Fairfax, VA
    AGC FTW. I enjoy shooting there, and you can shoot just about anything there on the Barnes range. Just last week, I put my handguns away and shot the same target with my shotguns.

-Jim

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Izaac Walton in Rockville and NRA only allow shotguns shooting slugs. No buckshot.

The Rockville IWLA range is open weekends only unless you are a RO and want to open the range yourself on a weekday.

I shoot at the NRA mostly. I used to be a member at Rockville IWLA but didn't shoot there enough to justify the membership fee. Good luck finiing a place to shoot your shotgun with shot shells

Rockville IWLA

NRA RANGE

There is nothing in MD law that specifically prohibits a stop while engaged in a permissable activity under MD statute 4-203.

IANAL

Aug 19, 2011
    Fredneck, MD
    Where do you guys come up with this stuff? :)

If you do stop to eat after a trip to the range I recommend you wash your hands before eating.

Haha, great! Not sure where I heard that one, to be honest!

the AGC has nice facilities, you need to belong to one of the clubs to shoot there. If you are interested I can send you info on joining my club, Mount Washington Rod & Gun.

Once you belong to a club a $150 range badge gets you access to all the ranges there, 363 1/2 days per year

Wow, that's not bad. Yeah, send that info if you don't mind. Thanks!

Yes AGC, sorry didn't address first part of your question.

Here's a great list of ranges in Maryland: http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=38816

Here's a good summary of Maryland gun laws: http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/maryland.pdf

Excellent, thanks so much!

AGC FTW. I enjoy shooting there, and you can shoot just about anything there on the Barnes range. Just last week, I put my handguns away and shot the same target with my shotguns.

-Jim

That sounds like what I am looking for!

Izaac Walton in Rockville and NRA only allow shotguns shooting slugs. No buckshot.

The Rockville IWLA range is open weekends only unless you are a RO and want to open the range yourself on a weekday.

I shoot at the NRA mostly. I used to be a member at Rockville IWLA but didn't shoot there enough to justify the membership fee. Good luck finiing a place to shoot your shotgun with shot shells

Rockville IWLA

Slugs are fine, no problems there. Thanks for your insight.

NRA RANGE

There is nothing in MD law that specifically prohibits a stop while engaged in a permissable activity under MD statute 4-203.

IANAL

John64

Apr 7, 2012
    I grew up on Montgomery County...the NRA range is a pretty quick drive...just go at off hours if you can and it shouldn't be crowded. Call ahead and ask questions. I think you have to be an NRA member to use it.

Rivera

Dec 26, 2009
    cresap rifle club in Frederick open to the public on Sundays and some Saturdays its a awesome range.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    I grew up on Montgomery County...the NRA range is a pretty quick drive...just go at off hours if you can and it shouldn't be crowded. Call ahead and ask questions. I think you have to be an NRA member to use it.

Nope. NRA range is open to the public.

$14 an hour for NRA members
    $18 and hour for non members

You have to take a short written safety test before you first session.

NRA RANGE

bpSchoch

Jan 16, 2009
    Bethesda, MD

I commute in that direction. If I leave at about 9 am, it is usually clear from the River rd exit/495 (where I live), at most I encounter perhaps a 3-5 minute delay from the bridge until the airport access way. If I leave around 9:30 am, and there is no accident, then it's green all the way (I go all the way to Centreville, VA).

You can always check traffic before you go by checking maps.google.com and turning on the traffic option. If you have a droid phone (and I am sure other phones), you can bring up the google Navigate app (icon is blue arrow pointing upwards) and it will also display traffic (need to turn on the traffic mode). You can also use it's navigate feature and it will take the traffic into consideration for routing and give you a pretty good estimate of when you will be at your destination. I use these feature everyday before leaving from work and it tells me if my trips is going to be 35 minutes (no traffic) or 1 hour plus (I've seen it as much as 1 hr 45 minutes) in which case I work extra or stop on the way home (I probably should stop at the NRA range on the way home

Bernie

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Someone posted Gilbert's has a new $175/yr membership. That's not a bad price if you shoot more than a couple times a month, even having to buy his ammo.

Bart_man

Clinging to gun&religion
    Jan 8, 2011
    Hazzard County

krztov

Jan 4, 2012
    Silver Spring
    Someone posted Gilbert's has a new $175/yr membership. That's not a bad price if you shoot more than a couple times a month, even having to buy his ammo.

Yeah, that's what I bought, makes ammo prices there normal too, plus it evens out when you pay 0 for your lane where most places still have lane fee when you are a member.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Yeah, that's what I bought, makes ammo prices there normal too, plus it evens out when you pay 0 for your lane where most places still have lane fee when you are a member.
    What place has a lane fee if you're a member? I've never heard of such a thing. I think Gilbert's has a decent price structure for the once a month for a few magazines crowd, but you simply can't afford to do enthusiast-level shooting with them.

Anyways, we're basically screwed for cheap all-purpose ranges near Rockville (and I do not consider an hour's drive "nearby" by any reasonable definition of the term). I'm fortunate enough to work "near" BRGC, so I usually just shoot some rifle after work. My boss ought to pay for my membership, it's half of what keeps me working here...

There is supposedly someone talking about opening a place near Frederick, which might be better depending on where it's located. We shall see.

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes

Mount Washington still meeting at Mercy Ridge?

Former member.

Just didn't like the drive out there from the old days in Stoneleigh.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom