• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BigToe

Well Armed Vagrant
    I want to put a scope on a S&W 460XVR 10.5"

I really don't want to spend big money on this. I have had good luck with Weaver Classic (I have a K-4 and a rimfire). I'm thinking about the 2x28 Classic Handgun scope. But not sure with the recoil of the 460 if that's gonna work.

Any experience with a scope on the bigger revolvers (454/460/500) would be appreciated.

Rockn93yj

Nov 24, 2011
    901373dc99afc090fa6dfb6c64353d8a.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

BigSteve57

Ultimate Member
    Feb 14, 2011
    I have a Leupold on my 500 S&W. Whatever scope you get make sure you also get heavy mounting rings to go with it.

Edit: scope is a Leupold VX 3 2.5-8 32mm # 67825 and rings per Leupold's recommendation with regard to recoil are MK4 Medium height rings.

Last edited:

BigToe

Well Armed Vagrant
    Lupold .buy the best that pistol will tear up a cheap scope

Yeah, I get it, $170 for the Weaver 2x28 or $210 for the Burris 2x20 isn't exactly putting them in the cheap category though. I have Leupold on one of my rifles. I get that the Leupold is better glass, which means better light transmission, but I suppose the durability is also better....I guess sitting on a 460 is a lot to ask for a scope.

Still, anyone with a big revolver, I'd love to hear about any other options. I like the Burris 2x20 at $210. Considering the price, I'd imagine it to be more durable than the Weaver.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    I've had good luck with the Weaver 2x28, but mine is mounted on a Ruger SBH in 44 magnum. That's not your SW 460 to be sure, but thinking yours is a significantly heavier revolver also.

Were it me, I'd be inclined to try it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    illlocs33

Latest threads

Top Bottom