scope rings:high,medium or low which should I choose?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Oreo

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 23, 2008
    On most rifles the idea is to mount the scope as close to the bore as possible to minimize parallax. The catch is that the objective lens of the scope needs enough room to clear the barrel so this dictates the minimum height possible. Of course, you can always mount higher for comfort if need be.

rj1974

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    Edgemere , md.
    What kind of firearm, comb on the stock , scope base , scope objective , any iron sights in the way ? can you remove them?

Is it a bolt gun will the handle clear ?

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    On most rifles the idea is to mount the scope as close to the bore as possible to minimize parallax. The catch is that the objective lens of the scope needs enough room to clear the barrel so this dictates the minimum height possible. Of course, you can always mount higher for comfort if need be.

THIS ^^^^

Screwtop.243

Ouch...that thing kicks
    Jul 7, 2011
    People's republic of MD
    I've learned the hard way mounting scopes too high in the past and as a result, loosing a good cheek-weld. When this can't be avoided (i.e., can't see over a gas block, etc.) you can modify or get a pad for the stock, but that's a PITA. I put a "Scout" scope mount on my SKS with a Busnell red dot and it ended up being too high for my liking. My buddy "bitch-slapped" me for putting optics on an SKS to begin with.

That said, I've noticed that sometimes, it seems like the gas block is going to obstruct vision through the scope, but sometimes it really does not (particularly at higher powers). You may get away with mounting the scope lower than you think depending upon the application.

Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    illlocs33

Latest threads

Top Bottom