• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SCV/SAR Patriot

UNRECONSTRUCTED
    This is from Wikapedia:

South Dakota
    On January 22, 2019, the South Dakota Senate passed Senate Bill 47 by a vote of 23-11. It then passed the House of Representatives on January 29, 2019 by a vote of 47-23.[50] Governor Kristi Noem signed the bill on January 31. It takes effect July 1, 2019.[51] No permit required to open carry or concealed carry for residents AND NON RESIDENTS 18+.

SCV/SAR Patriot

UNRECONSTRUCTED

Sealion

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 19, 2016
    Balto Co

Thanks for the update. This .gif always gives me hope. I wonder if there's a way to synthesize all the efforts by the various state campaigns to go constitutional carry and apply those tactics here. There are many on this forum who have a better grasp on what's worked then me.

I donate, but my participation has to be limited for personal reasons. Are there things we/I can be doing? BTW: AOB's auto signature has a great recommendation on engaging antis on social media.

HankR

Ultimate Member
    Jan 22, 2013
    Upper Midwest
    Wikipedia is a non authoritative source. Go the the AG page or find the statute.

From an earlier post, linking the text of the bill. The part you're looking for is the part that isn't there. The repealed parts said you needed a permit to carry. The passed law no longer says that. Some RINOs are still trying to get another law passed that says "resident only". I believe that is why the reciprocity items remain in the passed and signed bill.*

*ETA: Reciprocity remains as some states will only honor SD if SD explicitly honors theirs. This covers SD visitors to those states and avoids having to make the argument that constitutional carry does honor all other states permits.

I heard otherwise, as reported here (last paragraph)

https://www.argusleader.com/story/n...ional-carry-into-law-south-dakota/2730395002/

Looking to the actual bill she signed,

https://legiscan.com/SD/text/SB47/id/1880179/South_Dakota-2019-SB47-Enrolled.pdf

it just removes all of the sections that used to say "can't do [this] without a permit". I don't see any remnants stating that you can do anything with a permit that you can't do w/out.

Re: Reasons for state residents only:

The claimed excuse is The Rally (aka "Sturgis" for those on the coasts). Local LE wants ability to disarm rival clubs before the trouble starts.

Following up, the signed legislation repeals this part:

(From https://sdsos.gov/general-services/assets/2018SDFirearmLaws_Handbook_Web_20190107.pdf)

An individual who wishes to carry a concealed pistol on or about his person or in a vehicle must obtain a Permit to Carry a Concealed Pistol (SDCL 22-14-9). A person does not need a permit to own a pistol, keep it in his home, business, or property, or visibly carry it (SDCL 22-14-11).

Note it says "individual"

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom