• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • zxcvbnm

Jun 14, 2008
    Last week (or so) I got myself an AR15. I really like it. I got it from Dan at Gun Connection, which is just about an hour and a half away from me. Im very very happy with it, and now I am beginning to accessorize. I need a more local place to get my stuff, and didn’t really know where to go so I decided to do some shopping around to see what places I liked and where I should try and go to when I need stuff. Because I dont post much, and I dont know anyone on here in real life, I figured I could go in as a fresh new customer to each store and see what I liked. I went into each store and bought stuff that totaled around 100 dollars. Some places I basically threw my money away, while I did find a store or two that I liked. I don’t want a cookie for showing how much money I spent, but I do want to make a valid point that I came in and inquired about a few items. I should have been a decent target with what I was looking for (hmm not a REAL target but atleast a customer they could have made a buck off of) it wasn’t like I just walked in and asked for something small. Here are my experiences with each store. These are just my opinions...

About 2 weeks ago, I made the hour and a half trip to Gun Connection to purchase an AR15 that I really wanted. Dan was having his Extended Memorial Day sale, and the price for the AR I wanted was really nice so I decided to scoop one up. I am very happy I did. When I first walked in, I was greeted kindly by the staff, and then got in line that there was. From all the hoopla I have heard on this forum, I would have thought Gun Connection would have been bigger than it actually was. Either way, I was very happy with the service I received. The paperwork was filled out quickly, with the help of a man (sorry forgot his name). After the process of the paperwork, I was showed how to clean the gun and also they recommended a few cleaning supplies that I would need. After all of this (this is my first AR and my first gun), it was very nice that they took the time out to go over everything. I was quite impressed how they sold about 4 or 5 guns while I was in the store. The only thing I forgot to buy was some of Dick’s nuts! I would give Gun Connection an A overall. On a side note, I think I met a few people from MDShooters while at the store, but I did not introduce myself saying I was one. I believe this was Thursday the 10th, so if you were in there around 4 or 5 I was in there, and if you are reading this please let me know if you were! There was a guy in the Navy MDS shirt that I talked to, so I definitely know that guy was a member on here.

So my search for a good local gun store continued to Engage Armament in Kensington. Their store was nicely laid out, and I was greeted right as I walked into the store, but from then on I was kind of neglected. The store people seemed to be there to socialize amongst themselves, they really didn’t seem to care about the people lurking in the store. I didn’t feel really comfortable being in there. The prices were not as ridiculous as I was expecting, but they were a little high. I don’t mind paying a few extra bucks for stuff that you see cheaply on line because I would like to find a nice local place and this place was acceptable. I didn’t really look at the prices on guns, because I was not there to buy one. Either way, id give this place a C overall.

Next, I took a ride out to The Gun Rack in Burtonsville. Their store was a decent size, but it was very dark and they did not greet me at all. I had to start the conversation with the guy behind the counter. I asked for what I was looking for, he said they were over in the corner (and pointed) and then said we probably don’t have any. I then went over and found 3 or 4 of what I was looking for. I then asked if this would fit on my AR and he said yes. Sadly, they don’t really fit. I had to do some modifying and overall, I have felt like I have wasted my money. I would give this store a D+, relying on how close it is to me its only positive thing. Their prices were decent on a few things that I looked at, so that is something else that was positive about the store.

Atlantic Arms was another place I visited. It is a little further than the rest, but I was greeted kindly. I told them I was just looking around, which I was, and a few other times when I was looking at the things they carried they asked if I would like to hold/see something out of the glass cases. Their prices on a few things were really nice, but at the same time the prices on some other things were a little higher than at the other stores I visited. I would give this place a B-. They excelled at customer service, were ok on prices, and it was a nice and big store where they could carry quite a bit of guns, more than any of the other stores had on the showroom floor.

Lastly, I visited 2A Sales in Jessup. It was the farthest of them all, but it was the best close store to me in my opinion. I was greeted kindly when I walked in. There were 4 other people in the store when I got there, so I just started looking around. The owner (id assume, don’t know his name) was very kind to me and to the other customers. While he was selling a 522 to another customer a guy named Joe walked in and helped me. I was interested in pmags, but they didn’t have any. I was also interested in getting a stock, and a rail. I didn’t end up getting the rail because I changed my mind while I was there, but I did get a stock, another magazine that Joe recommended to me (which was helpful) and I also got a Magpul MOE grip. I was very happy with the service, as well as I got what I wanted. I would give this place a A- just because it didn’t have a few other things I was interested in looking at. I also forgot my MDShooters Magnet. Im really really mad about that actually. Oh well, seeing as 2 A will have my business im sure it wont be long until they see me again…so I can pick up some other goodies and my magnet!

Again, these are just my opinions. maybe I hit a store on an 'off day' but im glad I know where I would like to spend my money now!

Also, sorry for the long-ish post. I had alot to say!

cobra

Ultimate Member
    Feb 26, 2009
    White Marsh
    Also had nothing but a good experience at the Gun Connection.
    You may also want to stop by the gun shop in Essex. Very personal,very knowledgeable staff more then willing to help.
    Price's are nice too.
    I would no hesitate to buy from either in the future:)

Maryland Hunter

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2008
    I have bought several guns from 2A, (4 to be exact), and I couldn't be happier with the service that I got.
    You may want to put this over in the Industry partners section where it is more likely to be seen by the various dealers, so they can get an idea of what we are looking for from them.

MH

fivepointstar

Thank you MD-Goodbye
    Apr 28, 2008
    3rd Rock from the Sun
    Good write up!!! I agree with everything but 2A...I give them A+....joe and mark are a trip!!

I had the same negative expeiences with Gun Rack....the fat grumpy guy wasn't much of a talker or sales person.

zxcvbnm

Jun 14, 2008
    Thanks for the comments. I really really liked 2A and will be going back hopefully sooner rather than later.

@fivepointstar yeah I believe we are talking about the same guy at the counter. he wasnt very welcoming/helpful imo

@MH I dont know if I can send it over to the industry partners area, but if anyone (moderators) wouldnt mind doing so I guess it can go where ever they think it belongs.

@Cobra Ill check out the Gun Rack. Its rather far, but I guess visiting another shop cant hurt anything but my wallet!

Skins_Brew

loves the smell of cosmo
    Mar 4, 2009
    moйтgomeяу сoцйту
    @fivepointstar yeah I believe we are talking about the same guy at the counter. he wasnt very welcoming/helpful imo

I wouldn't say he is grumpy, he just has a non social type of personality. I bought an AR at Gun rack and did all the paper work with someone else, who was very helpful, had a good personality, and knew what he was doing when it came to the paper work. I am pretty sure the grumpy guy is just their drone who mans the counter. One thing that did annoy me about the gun rack was the fact that when I went in there on a saturday once, the only person helping customers was grumpy guy. There were at least five customers milling around waiting. If I owned that store, I would certainly have more people helping employs on a high flow day. I think they have fair prices. They had a case of PMC .223 for $375. You can get is cheaper online, but that's pretty good for a gun store.

mancheechee

Daily Trigger
    Jul 22, 2010
    Frederick
    this is very helpful.
    I just started buying a month+ ago.
    I've been going all the way up to deep creek to SangRunSports. My uncle lives there and recommended me. Well, the store is small but the guys there are really cool. Got to fire some used guns out back of the shop's make shift range.
    Got my first pistol on the spot (SP101). Went back 7 days later picked it up. They had a XD-40 they let me shoot out back. It's on hold for me (30day thing). Got really into guns looked for a .357 lever to go with the SP101, but all the stores around me were sold out of the 1894c...and SangRun also could not get a hold of one...so the owner Jason mentioned he had one in his personal collection. Well after a couple weeks, he decided that it wasn't doing good just being in the cabinet and sold it to me for only $400!!! It was practically brand new and the blue was like 100%!!! He said he fired only about a box through it for giggles, cleaned it up, put protectant and put it away for his collection.
    Man I must have sounded desperate for him to sell me his. Fires and shoots well! Darn accurate at 50yd without zeroeing

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Different customers have different expectations. Some patrons prefer to look things over on their own. If you wish more input and interaction speak up and ask.

jtarpley59

live free or die
    Jan 6, 2010
    Churchton
    I like Chesapeake Guns on the shore, but lately I seem to be dealing more and more with Mike at Mid County on the shore. Just my two cents.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Not necessarily related to being stand up and honest.
    Some patrons wish to have staff imeadately engage them for the duration of visit.
    I prefer to scan over the the majority of inventory first to see what is unusual / of interest. Except of course for the handfull who are longtime personal friends.

cmecha

Feb 10, 2009
    didn't make it up to gun runners? bob is awesome to deal with but he is usually a very busy.

doneyd67

May 12, 2010
    Howard County
    The first gun i purchased was from gun Rack in Burtonsville a CZ100 9mm, and the person behind the counter was very helpful, he wasnt the fat grumpy guy, but on other occasions when i did go back to purchase some ammo i got the fat grumpy guy behind the counter, after i realized that i didnt bring cash with me, i asked him if i could use my debit card to make the purchase, well all things said he gave me that WTF look and said "no" cash only....with that said i told him i will be back with the cash to purchase the ammo for my 9mm......and I guess he's still waiting for my cash(it's been 3 years now)... Sorry gun rack but I will never return there...:sad20:I have a new place to hang out and spend my money CASH or CREDIT/DEBIT 2A Sales ROCK!!! thanks to mark and Joe! :party29:i havent even thought about Gun Rack.....till now ERRR!:mad54:

zxcvbnm

Jun 14, 2008
    didn't make it up to gun runners? bob is awesome to deal with but he is usually a very busy.

never heard of them. Maybe ill take a shot up there when I get the chance.

The first gun i purchased was from gun Rack in Burtonsville a CZ100 9mm, and the person behind the counter was very helpful, he wasnt the fat grumpy guy, but on other occasions when i did go back to purchase some ammo i got the fat grumpy guy behind the counter, after i realized that i didnt bring cash with me, i asked him if i could use my debit card to make the purchase, well all things said he gave me that WTF look and said "no" cash only....with that said i told him i will be back with the cash to purchase the ammo for my 9mm......and I guess he's still waiting for my cash(it's been 3 years now)... Sorry gun rack but I will never return there...:sad20:I have a new place to hang out and spend my money CASH or CREDIT/DEBIT 2A Sales ROCK!!! thanks to mark and Joe! :party29:i havent even thought about Gun Rack.....till now ERRR!:mad54:

I went back a second time to the Gun Rack. Two younger guys behind the counter (id say in their 30s or early 40s) and they definitely were engaging. Though they didnt have what I was looking for, it was better than the first time I went up there. Guess its hit or miss.

I went back to Kensington to Engage Armament. Didnt buy anything there, but I definitely had a better experience there than the first time I went.

Spot77

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2005
    Anne Arundel County
    The relative anonymity of posting experiences online is great for consumers and soon-to-be consumers.

Sure, everybody has different personalities that they mesh well with, but I think having honest impressions posted helps our entire community as the postings let dealers know what people are thinking about them....and that we like to deal with people who hold themselves to high standards.

There's a TON of great dealers out there, and it's impossible to say all the right things about all of them....and everybody has their favorites of course.

But it's pretty easy to see trends of the customer service, pricing and other important facts regarding dealers that aren't going the extra mile for their customers.

I've only been to The Gun Rack and Atlantic Arms once each years ago, so I can't really comment on them....I don't recall even buying anything from them.

But I've bought a few things from 2A and Gun Connection and I think the accolades given here are spot on.

Maryland Hunter

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2008
    I have a new place to hang out and spend my money CASH or CREDIT/DEBIT 2A Sales ROCK!!! thanks to mark and Joe! :party29:i havent even thought about Gun Rack.....till now ERRR!:mad54:

FWIW, most small businesses prefer cash, because of the amount that they lose on the Visa, MC, etc, transaction. Even with debit, they lose out a bit, and that bit can make a difference to a small business owner. Sometimes, cash may even help you get a better deal. Having said that, I rarely carry cash, but try to have cash on a planned purchase. On impulse buys, I have to use what I have. I can't imagine getting attitude though, for having to use debit/credit. I would think that they would appreciate a sale regardless.

I agree 2A rocks!!:thumbsup::party29: Mark and Joe are great to deal with, or just hang out and talk to. They tried this silly concept of friendly, knowledgable customer service, and good prices, and what do you know, it works!

MH

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    Here's everyone I've purchased an actual firearm from in the past year and a summary to add to the thread:

Gun Shop (Essex): 3 purchases, all handled great (7 total over past 6 years). Will definitely purchase again.

Gun Rack (Burtonsville): 1 purchase which had to be returned due to failure to function. As my only firearm return ever I expected the worst, but was surprised at how well they handled this. Will definitely purchase again.

Bart's Sports World (Glen Burnie): 1 purchase this year (6 total over last 9 years), handled great as usual. Will definitely purchase again.

Gun Connection: 1 purchase this year, several for accessories. Best one on one service so far, but not a knock against the other shops. Will definitely purchase again.

On Target: 2 purchases (simultaneous) this year. Good service when purchasing handguns, though I don't use their range anymore (AGC member now). Will definitely purchase again.

Dick's Sporting Goods Columbia: 1 purchase this year. Great service for a big-box chain store, will purchase again.

Wal-Mart (Glen Burnie): 1 purchase this year. Ok service, better than in past years with WM. Will purchase again based on price and availability.

Bass Pro (Arundel Mills): 1 purchase this year. Best service of a big box retailer. Will definitely purchase again.

I haven't yet trekked to 2A but will soon based on what I've read here.

Maverick0313

Retired and loving it
    Jul 16, 2009
    Bridgeville, DE
    FWIW, most small businesses prefer cash, because of the amount that they lose on the Visa, MC, etc, transaction. Even with debit, they lose out a bit, and that bit can make a difference to a small business owner. Sometimes, cash may even help you get a better deal. Having said that, I rarely carry cash, but try to have cash on a planned purchase. On impulse buys, I have to use what I have. I can't imagine getting attitude though, for having to use debit/credit. I would think that they would appreciate a sale regardless.

I agree 2A rocks!!:thumbsup::party29: Mark and Joe are great to deal with, or just hang out and talk to. They tried this silly concept of friendly, knowledgable customer service, and good prices, and what do you know, it works!

MH

+1 for the gize at 2A......:D

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    This is an interesting post. Glad to see there are some watchdogs out there...

I'm sure the Industry Partners here would be glad to see input on where they can improve. I'm sure most small businesses don't have resources to hire secret shoppers or anything. I know in every retail/restaurant chain I've ever worked at, we got shopped weekly (or more in some cases).

Another thing is, if you have a less than positive experience, or think something can be better, say something about it. It's like going to a restaurant and being pissed if your steak is overcooked. Everyone makes mistakes, give them a chance to make it right. Any good business will do that, and your overall consumer experience will be better if you aren't afraid to ask questions if something doesn't seem right. This includes prices...

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    cfreeman818

Latest threads

Top Bottom