• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    To start I have been a fan of Seekins when they released their lowers. I have one of their billets which is a very nice piece. So bought one of their forged ones. When I got it I did not do a thorough inspection and missed a small imperfection in the forging around where the end plate meets the lower. I am sure that it would have functioned fine but if my concern if there was a mis-forging there, it may have caused issues with the take down detente. So I contacted Seekins and I was floored when they offered to email a return shipping label, so I sent it back. I received the new lower today about 2-3 weeks after I sent it back. I wasn't expecting much I mean them offering to pay the return ship was gracious enough in my book. So I open my box and low and behold I get a lower back with the front take down installed, a Seekins mag release button and mag release installed, an uniinstalled seekins billet trigger guard, and a Seekins morale patch. My only concern is the serial is different that the one I sent, I mean completely different.

Here is pic of the misshapen end plate area

20130724_223317_zpseb7f92c5.jpg

Here are pics of the new upper with mag release and front takedown installed by Seekins

e891a526-8863-486d-9fb1-59ba0ca2b884_zps62b02ced.jpg

712a463b-a463-4b98-b43f-31700edfb9ce_zps5b54d306.jpg

THe trigger guard and Morale Patch

20130816_113746_zpscc4ac0e4.jpg

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    Must you register that new SN now?

That is what I am wondering, Seekins seems to think not since its a replacement but would I not need a piece of paperwork saying this replaces serial number XXXXXXX that was processed on such and such date?

yellowsled

Retired C&R Addict
    Jun 22, 2009
    Palm Beach, Fl
    My only concern is you have a modern AR lower, new production that is not registered. IF anything did happen to happen to the gun, seekins can tie it directly to you as they shipped it to you and now you have it. Or, its stolen and recovered and then MSP wants to know why you have a new unregistered AR lower. If it was me, I would do a voluntary registration on it to cover you ass. (before Oct01)

Edit: same problem if you tried to sell it. MSP will be like WTFFF.

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    I just talked to Seekins and they are going to get back to me about getting something official stating that the old lower with the old serial number has been replaced with the new number. They already submitted the info to the ATF about the serial change.

Bang

Ultimate Member
    Feb 3, 2008
    Baltimore Co.
    I asked this of Sig Sauer once (about a pistol)and they said the only thing that is required is notification to the ATF of the replacement. When I asked about MSP, they said if it ever came in question for whatever reason, they would just call the ATF for confrormation.

Good idea pushing for a letter.

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    I asked this of Sig Sauer once (about a pistol)and they said the only thing that is required is notification to the ATF of the replacement. When I asked about MSP, they said if it ever came in question for whatever reason, they would just call the ATF for confrormation.

Good idea pushing for a letter.

I will also print off all the correspondence with seekins that I had via email so I have paper trail, and keep it with the original lowers paperwork

Hellrazr78

May 20, 2011
    Balt. Co.
    I too had a great experience with Seekins customer service. The magwell on my stripped lower was tight with all types of mags. They either had resistence going in, wouldn't fit in at all, or wouldn't drop free. They paid shipping both ways, fixed the problem, and threw in a free billet mag release button. :thumbsup:

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    I do not believe Seekins machines their own lowers though based on the conversation I had with them. They had to notify another company to do the ATF serial number change information. I know that there are probably a handful of machine shops that make 80% recievers for all the different manufacturers sort of like barrels.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    lsmitty67

Latest threads

Top Bottom