Sell old Bushmaster Varminter (heavy barrel) rifle?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Boxcab

MSI EM
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 22, 2007
    AA County
    Ask me if I ever wonder why I moved here from Idaho...
    Hey Boise. I grew up across the Snake River in OR. Things have changed there. They are changing everywhere. I just hope SCOTUS will put an end to it all.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

c&rdaze

Oct 2, 2007
    Southern MD
    Very interesting thread. I have a Bushmaster target rifle that I bought thru the CMP in 2000. 1" barrel under hand guard, three pound weigh in the butt stock. It come in at 13 lbs. Shot some meets with it but it's been 'parked' for 15 years. I wonder what it's status really is?

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    Very interesting thread. I have a Bushmaster target rifle that I bought thru the CMP in 2000. 1" barrel under hand guard, three pound weigh in the butt stock. It come in at 13 lbs. Shot some meets with it but it's been 'parked' for 15 years. I wonder what it's status really is?
    I'd say it's status is "idle".

DanGuy48

Ultimate Member
    If it's pre-2013 and grandfathered, can it be sold in MD?
    I sold a complete Calico (banned by name) system last year by placing it on consignment with Hafer’s Gunsmithing. He sold it to someone in WV through their store there. Note that, and Tim explained this carefully, once you transfer it to them on consignment, it’s gone because he cannot legally transfer it back to a Maryland resident.

MattFinals718

Nov 23, 2022
    Arlington, VA
    This is the original Bushmaster semi-auto rifle that is on the regulated (banned) list:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:First_Generation_Bushmaster_Assault_Rifle.JPG

The idea that Bushmaster is a brand seems inconsistent with the fact that AR-15 HBARs are exempted to me (and Bushmaster makes HBAR-style rifles and carbines that would qualify for exempt status). Then again, considering that Kalashnikovs are banned by name (even AK-74-style rifles that would be legal in MD if made by any other manufacturer), I guess it's not a logical stretch for some bureaucrat to conclude that Bushmaster as a brand is also banned. Sadly, Bushmaster didn't do themselves any favors by failing to give their first production tactical rifle a more creative name than, "Bushmaster semi-automatic rifle."

In the meantime, if I ever do another AR build (not likely, since I've got four already), I won't be buying any Bushmaster lowers.

My Toy

Ultimate Member
    Jul 31, 2008
    Westminster
    On that we agree.

Yep, I have a letter from MSP on MSPLD letterhead stating that the Bushmaster heavy barrel was indeed a copy of the Colt Sporter HBAR and could be sold cash and carry.

It's administrative over reach in addition to the bureaucratic BS.
    Could you post in this thread a copy of that letter on MSPLD letterhead (of course with any personal identifying info blacked out)?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    cfreeman818

Latest threads

Top Bottom