• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • brad20670

Jun 8, 2012
    I want to sell an AR someone emailed saying they live in VA.. I work in king George every day and they want to meet can I just private sell in VA since its allowed or because I'm from MD its not????

TyFromMD

Ultimate Member
    Mar 31, 2011
    Maryland
    I believe you can drive the firearm to an FFL in VA and have them conduct the transfer to the purchaser or have an FFL in Maryland ship the firearm to an FFL in the purchaser's state and do the transfer that way.

BrianS

Apr 26, 2010
    The question is when I sell it through a FFL - what notification do I need to give MSP that I no longer own a regulated weapon?

I don't think you have to give any notice whatsoever. Just keep the bill of sale and whatever docs associate with the transfer in your file for future reference if needed.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    The question is when I sell it through a FFL - what notification do I need to give MSP that I no longer own a regulated weapon?

You do not need, nor are you required to notify the MSP or anyone else for that matter, when you sell your AR.

Holy run on sentence Batman...
    Jim Smith

dtmeyers

Jun 22, 2013

I called the MSP Licensing division a few months ago and asked that... if it's registered it stays in your name. The only way it doesn't is if you sell to a MD resident and they register it in their name.

Disconcerting to know that if I sell a handgun to an out of state FFL that firearm will be registered to me until the day I die.

Feb 28, 2013
    So I guess this also means a resident of another state visiting me in MD could not buy my AR (FTF) and return home with it unless its transferred via an FFL in MD?

Doesn't the transferring dealer have to be within the buyer's state?

eruby

Confederate Jew
    MDS Supporter
    Doesn't the transferring dealer have to be within the buyer's state?
    No. While not all dealers will, an FFL can receive a firearm from any US citizen.

The FFL can sell a non-handgun to citizens of states other then the FFL, as long as the laws of both states are followed, e.g. no 'banned' ARs can be sold by Texas FFL Joe to Maryland Jim, but Joe can sell an HBAR to Jim and Jim can take possesion of the 30 rounds as well, in Texas.

grayson71

Ultimate Member
    May 7, 2011
    Rocky Gap, Va
    Don't know if it still applies, but before the FSA became law, I sold a Ruger MKII to a friend of mine in Virginia by going into the VA FFL and doing the transfer there. They gave me a copy of the tranfer paperwork. Basically i transferred it to them and they transferred it to my friend.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    loops12

Latest threads

Top Bottom