• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WSM

Rugeritis
    Oct 8, 2009
    Lancaster, PA
    What features would you look for in an AR for deer? My primary concerns are weight, balance, and caliber. I'd like to steer clear of 556 but it's not off the table. I'm looking at ranges out to about 400 yards. Is there any way to trim the fat from an AR 10?

I'm not married to the AR platform but I have the build tools already. I'd consider an M1A but they're pigs to carry. I cover a lot of ground when I hunt weight is a big issue for me.

Thoughts?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    What features would you look for in an AR for deer? My primary concerns are weight, balance, and caliber. I'd like to steer clear of 556 but it's not off the table. I'm looking at ranges out to about 400 yards. Is there any way to trim the fat from an AR 10?

I'm not married to the AR platform but I have the build tools already. I'd consider an M1A but they're pigs to carry. I cover a lot of ground when I hunt weight is a big issue for me.

Thoughts?

I take a 6.8SPC every once in awhile for deer. Engineerbrian swears but it for whitetails

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    If you want AR-15 platform and want out to 400yds I'd look at .25-45 sharps. Pretty much anything else for deer is going to be too light or have too much bullet drop at that distance. .300 blackout is extremely viable, but not at 400yds. It is more of a 200yd or less deer cartridge, 300 would be pushing it. 5.56 is flat enough shooting, but frankly it relies on speed for damage as little as it is, which means it is more like a 100yd deer cartridge, maybe 150 and you really need a longer barrel for the extra energy/velocity (IE, 20 inch barrel, not 16).

I've seen plenty of AR-10s that tip the scales less than 9lbs with a full 10rnd clip of .308.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Oh, 6.5 Grendel or 6.8spc in AR-15 could be fine, but still a lot of bullet drop for 400yds. Same thing with .277 wolverine. If 400yds is the requirement .25-45 is going to be the flattest shooting out to 400yds, 6.5 Grendel would be next as the heavier bullets have a better BC than the better 6.8spc rounds.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    DPMS lite hunter, 20" barrel - roughly 8lbs. empty. Available from 243 to 338Fed.

I already load for .260Rem, so I'd go with that. And it would easily do the job for the range you specify.

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    What would I look for? 6mm HAGAR, .243 ballistics out of an AR15. It is a flat shooting round! Drawback is that it is a handload only proposition at present, though Hornady did have the round saami spec'd. in case they decide to produce it commercially at some point. The 6mm HAGAR uses a 6.8 spc bolt and mags., other than those 2 parts and the barrel, everything else is standard AR15. Everything needed to build an AR in 6mm HAGAR is available from White Oak Precision. Brass is available from Creedmoor Sports. It may be a little pricey to start out with but it was well worth it for me.

An AR15 in 6.5 Grendel would be another option.

I thought about an AR10 platform for deer hunting but, it's a fat lady and there is no real way to trim her down. I'll stick with a bolt action before going that route.

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    What would I look for? 6mm HAGAR, .243 ballistics out of an AR15. It is a flat shooting round! Drawback is that it is a handload only proposition at present, though Hornady did have the round saami spec'd. in case they decide to produce it commercially at some point. The 6mm HAGAR uses a 6.8 spc bolt and mags., other than those 2 parts and the barrel, everything else is standard AR15. Everything needed to build an AR in 6mm HAGAR is available from White Oak Precision. Brass is available from Creedmoor Sports. It may be a little pricey to start out with but it was well worth it for me.

I thought about an AR10 platform for deer hunting but, it's a fat lady and there is no real way to trim her down. I'll stick with a bolt action before going that route.

Hmmm I like the 6mmHagar concept and love emergency some white oak. 30 degree shoulder too....something about those shoulders make very accurate rounds. 87gr Berger VLD should be able to fit under the 2.260 mag length.

I went with a dmps g2 recon for deer...for now, wish I would have noticed this round before the purchase lol.

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    Hmmm I like the 6mmHagar concept and love emergency some white oak. 30 degree shoulder too....something about those shoulders make very accurate rounds

I went with a dmps g2 recon for deer...for now.

If you ever get the chance to shoot a HAGAR, you'll love it! The sights never leave the target during recoil!

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    If you ever get the chance to shoot a HAGAR, you'll love it! The sights never leave the target during recoil!

$1k for the upper....28" is a little long though. Hornady Brass $.70/round....but 3100 fps is quick, burn barrels?

WSM

Rugeritis
    Oct 8, 2009
    Lancaster, PA

Is there reliable reloading data?

WSM

Rugeritis
    Oct 8, 2009
    Lancaster, PA
    They are both .277 but the heavier 130-150's would probably be to long to seat for COAL. I seat mine around 2.26 IIRC, and that's about max for the magazine.
    I was more thinking of using the 120gr SST's in my 270 wsm. They're designed for the 6.8 but I want to try them out. I'd love to be able to share components between cartridges if possible.

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    I was more thinking of using the 120gr SST's in my 270 wsm. They're designed for the 6.8 but I want to try them out. I'd love to be able to share components between cartridges if possible.

Any things possible, and with the 120's I'd have to say it could be very possible.
    I run 110-115's in my 6.8
    And just incase you're wondering H4198 :D

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    $1k for the upper....28" is a little long though. Hornady Brass $.70/round....but 3100 fps is quick, burn barrels?

What bullet weight? .25-45 sharps is something like 3000fps for 87gr 6mm bullets. Sounds like HAGAR is maybe only slightly faster for the same bullet weight.

.25-45 uses .223 cases. So same bolt, mags, etc. only difference is the barrel.

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    If you want AR-15 platform and want out to 400yds I'd look at .25-45 sharps. Pretty much anything else for deer is going to be too light or have too much bullet drop at that distance. .300 blackout is extremely viable, but not at 400yds. It is more of a 200yd or less deer cartridge, 300 would be pushing it. 5.56 is flat enough shooting, but frankly it relies on speed for damage as little as it is, which means it is more like a 100yd deer cartridge, maybe 150 and you really need a longer barrel for the extra energy/velocity (IE, 20 inch barrel, not 16).

I've seen plenty of AR-10s that tip the scales less than 9lbs with a full 10rnd clip of .308.

Oh, 6.5 Grendel or 6.8spc in AR-15 could be fine, but still a lot of bullet drop for 400yds. Same thing with .277 wolverine. If 400yds is the requirement .25-45 is going to be the flattest shooting out to 400yds, 6.5 Grendel would be next as the heavier bullets have a better BC than the better 6.8spc rounds.

What bullet weight? .25-45 sharps is something like 3000fps for 87gr 6mm bullets. Sounds like HAGAR is maybe only slightly faster for the same bullet weight.

Did you get your 25-45 upper built? I was looking thru an old thread of mine from October and saw where you had mentioned maybe building either a 277 or 25-45.
    Someone else said it, but now looking at those numbers again, I am guessing .277 wolverine. At some point when I am building "extra" uppers I am going back and forth between the .277 wolverine and .25-45 sharps. I feel like the sharps would be a much better western gun...which I'll probably hunt a few times in my life if I am lucky (oh and hey, I have a perfectly good .308 I could use and I am sure I'll use it as an excuse to get a .30-06 or .300 win mag). The .277 I feel like would be a much better mid Atlantic white tail and hog round.

Both can use everything .223 except the barrel. I like them over the .300AAC because I doubt I'll ever have a silencer or need subsonic. I like the higher velocity and slightly higher energy of them over the .300AAC also.

Though now that I've written this, in retrospect I don't think the .277 goes over about 1550lb-ft

I can't find my data right now, but as near as I can remember I wasn't getting close to the 3000FPS with 87 grain pills that you mentioned above, closer to 2600FPS and around 1300 Ft. Lbs
    The 25-45 is a neat little round but no way would I choose it over a 6.8SPC if that were my only choices out to 400 yards.

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD

87gr bullet for the 6mm hagar. From the data I pulled quickly this morning, I can't find a load faster than 2700 fps in the 87gr variety. Granted most sources are blocked at work but here is the link I referenced, BUT its only a 16.5" barrel. I would imagine you would gain some more fps with a longer barrel.

http://1587510142.rsc.cdn77.org/RRo...LOAD_DATA_New_AR-15_Hunting_Round_K Kempa.pdf

I honestly think there is something to be said for a 30 degree shoulder (sharps has a 23 degree). Look at one of the most accurate rounds out to 300m (6mm PPC)...again 30 degree shoulder. 30 degree shoulders provide some of the most accurate rounds out there, period.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom