• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Scott7891

Love those Combloc guns
    Sep 4, 2007
    Back in MD sadly
    Hey mopar22 isn't that an assault weapon

No, it is not on "the list."

For a rifle to be considered an "assault weapon" in Maryland it has to be on the list.

The Vz-58 is not listed and therefore not considered one.

Your collection except for the .22 mimics mine when I was your age. I would opt for the Vz-58 since it fires the same ammo as your SKS, also allows the use of your SKS stripper clips, and is very simple to maintain as well as reliable as an AK. It is also very light, switching out furniture is a breeze, and has a similar sight pattern to the SKS as well.

The only drawback is getting magazines since they are all above 20 rds. But if you go to an out-of-state gun show they will usually have them there that is where I got mine. Plus you have the ability to use stripper clips so you do not need as many mags compared to other rifles.

DarthZed

Ultimate Member
    Sep 25, 2010
    Howard County
    As in Pharm rep., being a nurse, or Dr.?

If you pick nurse or Dr. then start putting away money now for school.

I can only speak from having been there and done that....if my kid came home with a 1,200 dollar rifle while they still lived in my house we'd have issues.

Honestly your money is spent elsewhere. The odds of them outlawing guns in the next 2-4 years isnt likely. At the very lease once the election woes calm you'll get more gun for your money.

Stack up on ammo/accessories for the weapons you already own.

:thumbsup:

jr88

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 7, 2011
    Free?? State
    If you are looking for a s/a that is accurate and isn't an on the assault rifle list, Look at the FNAR.

Attachments

• fnar.JPG
      fnar.JPG
      83.2 KB · Views: 100

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    DarthZed said:

Maybe I'm of the old school thought (and I'm only 33) that you skimp by while going through school and the first 10 years or so of your career so that down the road you don't have debt or other baggage, can build a family, and finally can buy the toys you want later once you're more established.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Maybe I'm of the old school thought (and I'm only 33) that you skimp by while going through school and the first 10 years or so of your career so that down the road you don't have debt or other baggage, can build a family, and finally can buy the toys you want later once you're more established.

This...and med school is EXPENSIVE. Been out of residency for 9 years, and I'm still digging out. If you have $1200 to "spend", you will be wiser putting it away, and worrying about buying toys when you are established. You aren't going to have much time to shoot, anyway.

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    teratos said:
    This...and med school is EXPENSIVE. Been out of residency for 9 years, and I'm still digging out. If you have $1200 to "spend", you will be wiser putting it away, and worrying about buying toys when you are established. You aren't going to have much time to shoot, anyway.

:thumbsup:

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    If you are looking for a s/a that is accurate and isn't an on the assault rifle list, Look at the FNAR.

yes yes and more yes. Excellent gun. It's on my, "i'll have that one day when i have more money" list. For now, i'm happy with the BAR...
    bar.jpg

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    I can't believe I had to dig this far into this thread before somebody said:

M1A or CMP Garand in .308

M1 Garand should be at the top of your list.

The CMP will run out of nice Garands long, long before "guns are banned".

I say any Garand you get from the CMP is worth $100 more than you paid the moment you open the box (which FedEx delivers right to your front door, by the way.) Many people either won't do the (very simple) paperwork, or they're confused by it. Any $625 Service Grade should be worth $750 on the regular face-to-face market.

And Service Grades could run out any week. They did run out for awhile last year (and they were $595 then.).

I paid $950 for a Correct grade a few years ago. The price went up to I think $1150 (?? not sure). Now they are all out, period. No more Correct Grades, and Corrects are definately collectable.

CMP Garands are not only re-sellable at a price higher than you paid, but they are great shooters. The Garand is to rifles what a classic Harley Davidson is to motorcycles. The Garand is a hoot to shoot.

The Garand commands instant respect at the range. AR 15s? Meh. 10-22? Plinker. But when you get out your M1, men will turn their heads and give you a little nod of respect.

They're historic as all get out. You know that. Every American should have a Garand. The Government set up a special program to ship them straight to your front door- no FFL. Jump on it while you can!

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    I'm not worried about making money, money is something I can always make. I don't look at guns as investments like that. I'm saying they will be outlawed and no matter how much money you have you won't be able to buy anymore.

With that reasoning your choice will be really limited. More than likely firearms will be legal to own and carry for generations, gun rights have improved lately and as long as gun rights organizations have enough support and funding they will counter any attemts at a ban. With the current crop of politicians, I would say gun rights are looking safer in the future than lucrative medical careers or employment in general. Buying a gun before a ban is risky, it would require current owners to be grandfathered to stay legal, and most of the recent ban proposals did not include a clause for this, so currently owned firearms would be illegal, and you would basically have to turn it in, or hide it and risk prosecution, making it a poor investment. Do your part to support SAF, MSI and the NRA, and you won't have to worry as much about future bans, confiscation, or the associated price gouging.

So by that logic, there are a few good semi auto rifles that are available now, but will become rare in the future, mostly mil-surp that haven't been in production for decades. It would be better to buy one now, then buy modern pricey stuff after your career gets going. A decent M1 garand or carbine, Russian SKS(not sure which you have), SVT-40, Hakim, mini-14 LEO trade-ins, and a few others. They are only going to get rarer, and all are nice shooters with decent ammo availability.

Sirex