• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MJD438

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2012
    Somewhere in MD
    Why are people relying on them??

They are important to the "food chain", yes...

But, ultimately, it's ALL the people who have to take responsibility for our own rights.

It starts with letting the critters know, but it has to continue through action. Become active as your own advocate.

If we rely on others, we're only doing half the job. Let your officials know. Sure. But also get your memberships' money's worth. Get on the horn to NRA, SAF, GOA. MSI and AGC are already in the fight, and need support, donations, and volunteers.

Get people together and make an appointment to see your local reps. Show up on 10/1. SOMETHING.

Any option is better than nothing, but anyone who just says "do something" and waits for others to act? Not gonna cut it.
    Amen

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    No one has had any negative impact from this YET.... Therefore no plaintiff. If someone is impacted by this though, yes, there could and probably will be a lawsuit. :innocent0

E-mail the delegates, senators, AG, MSP, OweMalley. Bug the livin' crap out of all of them. Make life miserable for them also.

I realize there are no actual damages to sue for yet, but what about a breach of contract suit seeking nominal damages?

montoya32

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jun 16, 2010
    Harford Co
    I realize there are no actual damages to sue for yet, but what about a breach of contract suit seeking nominal damages?

I disagree. Anyone who is included in this batch of docs spread out over the 5 agencies should file suit. What happens if 10 days from now someone opens a credit card with your info? How about 6 months from now? How about 6 years from now?

jtb81100

Ultimate Member
    May 28, 2012
    Western HoCo

THIS with the nominal damages being refunds of app fees for those who's apps were handed out and permanent removal of MSP as POC.

Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    Lifetime subscriptions to a service like Lifelock, as well as the state having 100% responsibility for any costs incurred for identity theft.

S1owJam

Bad Man Stopper Man
    Jan 10, 2013
    Abingdon, MD
    That's a crappy plan. Having background checks run on them AFTER they've had our information? We need accountability, not a post-****up pick-me-up.

You're absolutely correct. But given the situation what else can be done. The information is out there. Obviously this isn't the ideal situation, but it would be nice to know who exactly had access.

Since it's a crappy plan, what would you propose happen now that would be better than getting everyone that had access over the weekend a full background check?

csanc123

Ultimate Member
    Aug 26, 2009
    Montgomery County
    You're absolutely correct. But given the situation what else can be done. The information is out there. Obviously this isn't the ideal situation, but it would be nice to know who exactly had access.

Since it's a crappy plan, what would you propose happen now that would be better than getting everyone that had access over the weekend a full background check?

I wonder....would all those "extra" folks pass the same scrutiny we go through when purchasing a firearm.

I wonder if all of those folks would be "not disapproved"....if I were a betting man, I'd bet "no".

S1owJam

Bad Man Stopper Man
    Jan 10, 2013
    Abingdon, MD
    I wonder....would all those "extra" folks pass the same scrutiny we go through when purchasing a firearm.

I wonder if all of those folks would be "not disapproved"....if I were a betting man, I'd bet "no".

I would hope it would be more stringent scrutiny, since we don't have to deal with other peoples' personal information.

Avery807

Aug 16, 2013
    I would hope it would be more stringent scrutiny, since we don't have to deal with other peoples' personal information.

Having gone through the entire process of a background investigation for law enforcement a couple years ago (all the scrutinous records checks, interrogations, psych profile testing, polygraph, etc) - It is extremely stringent. They even talked to friends and neighbors that I have not communicated with since I was a kid. Which is why I trust the employees of the State Police with my 77r information. As far as other state employees, they are nowhere near as vetted. Basic criminal checks are surely done (as I can do on Case Search), but I doubt there is any thorough investigation into their families or acquaintances. When the Corrections personnel were busted for assisting the Black Guerilla Family, I'd be willing to bet that they had no prior criminal convictions, but a deeper investigation would reveal family or friends with criminal ties. There is absolutely no way that there was time to do even a half-assed investigation on the "data entry" people that had access to our information this weekend. A signed confidentiality agreement has the same weight as a restraining order - it's not going to stop anyone intent on breaking it. Audits will not catch cell phone pictures or hand copies of information. Background checks after the fact may reveal criminal ties or actions that can be further investigated, but the damage is already done. Yeah, yeah, they deal with SS#'s and addresses all the time. Identity theft is always a possibility, but it won't be by the employees. It will be the friend of the brother of their cousin's baby's mama. The personal info can be passed along for the right price, no doubt. That does not scare me as much as the possibility some thugs will be given my address and what guns I'm applying for. It would not be tough to wait in the dark corners of my neighborhood for me to arrive or leave my house, confront me outside my door and force me to take them inside to rob me of the firearms they know I have. THAT is scary. My credit can be repaired (even though it is a PITA), but even the remote possibility of physical violence brings this all to a whole different level. And all it takes is one time for this to get VERY REAL, VERY QUICKLY.

ShallNotInfringe

Lil Firecracker
    Feb 17, 2013
    Having gone through the entire process of a background investigation for law enforcement a couple years ago (all the scrutinous records checks, interrogations, psych profile testing, polygraph, etc) - It is extremely stringent. They even talked to friends and neighbors that I have not communicated with since I was a kid. Which is why I trust the employees of the State Police with my 77r information. As far as other state employees, they are nowhere near as vetted. Basic criminal checks are surely done (as I can do on Case Search), but I doubt there is any thorough investigation into their families or acquaintances. When the Corrections personnel were busted for assisting the Black Guerilla Family, I'd be willing to bet that they had no prior criminal convictions, but a deeper investigation would reveal family or friends with criminal ties. There is absolutely no way that there was time to do even a half-assed investigation on the "data entry" people that had access to our information this weekend. A signed confidentiality agreement has the same weight as a restraining order - it's not going to stop anyone intent on breaking it. Audits will not catch cell phone pictures or hand copies of information. Background checks after the fact may reveal criminal ties or actions that can be further investigated, but the damage is already done. Yeah, yeah, they deal with SS#'s and addresses all the time. Identity theft is always a possibility, but it won't be by the employees. It will be the friend of the brother of their cousin's baby's mama. The personal info can be passed along for the right price, no doubt. That does not scare me as much as the possibility some thugs will be given my address and what guns I'm applying for. It would not be tough to wait in the dark corners of my neighborhood for me to arrive or leave my house, confront me outside my door and force me to take them inside to rob me of the firearms they know I have. THAT is scary. My credit can be repaired (even though it is a PITA), but even the remote possibility of physical violence brings this all to a whole different level. And all it takes is one time for this to get VERY REAL, VERY QUICKLY.

+1 Well said.

CStuard

Sep 8, 2012
    I got that email too and have been very gratefull for what the Senator has done for us. Unfortunately, she has decided not to run for re-election.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ramseye

Latest threads

Top Bottom