"Sensitive" places restrictions on wear and carry currently that should not be.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GTOGUNNER

IANAL, PATRIOT PICKET!!
    Patriot Picket
    Dec 16, 2010
    Carroll County!
    That's for sure. Both see my full text on the inn keeper law. Also if you go to COMAR on the rest stops, it just says display or discharge is prohibited.

Of course. if you combine no displaying or discharging of firearms at a rest stop, with the blanket "no open or concealed carrying of firearms" in a government building means you should lockup your gun at a rest stop unless you are just pumping gas. I am not sure the status of the few gas stations as Maryland rest stops (if the building it privately or publicly owned) and you'd be outdoors, so fine so long as the handgun was concealed. However, all other facilities at Maryland rest stops are state property, therefore you cannot carry a firearm into them.

I disagree a rest stop is a part of a highway and I will continue to carry at those locations.

Sent from an undisclosed location.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I disagree a rest stop is a part of a highway and I will continue to carry at those locations.

You do you. As unclear as the law often is, it is fairly clear on this that carry in buildings at a rest stop is prohibited in Maryland and open carry at a rest stop in general is prohibited. Just know your opinion is unlikely to hold up in court if you are noticed, reported, and arrested.

But perhaps the courts would be more willing to accept a challenge to the constitutionality of that now.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011

#7 &11 Found here​

Where are Firearms Prohibited?​

Restriction on the wear, carry and transport of handguns and firearms in certain places appear throughout Maryland law and regulations. Below are statutes and regulations detailing the handgun and firearm restrictions. This list should not be considered all-inclusive.
    1. On school property (CR 4-102)

2. Within 1,000 feet of a demonstration in a public place (CR 4-208)

3. In legislative buildings (SG 2-1702)

4. Aboard aircraft (TR 5-1008)

5. In lodging establishments where the innkeeper reasonably believes individuals possess property that may be dangerous to other individuals, such as firearms or explosives (BR 15-203)

6. On dredge boats, other than two 10 gauge shotguns (NR 4-1013)

7. In or around State-owned public buildings and grounds (COMAR 04.05.01.03)

8. On Chesapeake Forest Lands (COMAR 08.01.07.14)

9. In State Forests (COMAR 08.07.01.04)

10. In State Parks (COMAR 08.07.06.04)

11. In State Highway Rest Areas, unless properly secured within vehicle (COMAR 11.04.07.12)

12. In community adult rehabilitation centers (COMAR 12.02.03.10)

13. In child care centers, except for small centers located in residences (COMAR 13A.16.10.04)
    Now, Go read the actual COMAR regulation....Both are very misleading as is the rest of the MSP website. Under State Statute (NOT COMAR), carrying a firearm with a W&C permit is not illegal.

GTOGUNNER

IANAL, PATRIOT PICKET!!
    Patriot Picket
    Dec 16, 2010
    Carroll County!
    Now, Go read the actual COMAR regulation....Both are very misleading as is the rest of the MSP website. Under State Statute (NOT COMAR), carrying a firearm with a W&C permit is not illegal.

Exactly, too much BGOS here.
    I will do as I normally do and stop at a rest stop to take a wizz this coming Monday. Concealed of course but if anyone want to arrest me, pm me and I’ll tell you what stop and when.

thomfantomas

Crna Ovca
    Feb 15, 2013
    Дундак ex Florida Keys
    Exactly, too much BGOS here.
    I will do as I normally do and stop at a rest stop to take a wizz this coming Monday. Concealed of course but if anyone want to arrest me, pm me and I’ll tell you what stop and when.

In Europe and South America,You can just piss on the side of the highway :shrug: seems it tons of times!

Obviously here it's a tad different.

nedsurf

Ultimate Member
    Feb 8, 2013
    At public events/gatherings/parades unlawful to carry?
    I'll be delighted to see a legal challenge to this. Just because someone or others nearby are exercising their constitutional right to peaceable assembly does not automatically give the the greenlight to prohibit an individual from exercising another right.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Did YOU read the statute? A W&C does not exempt you from the ban for carry in state buildings. ANY state building. Rest stop buildings are state owned.

COMAR at the very least is going to get you arrested. Then good luck if the DA still presses charges.

BurkeM

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2014
    Baltimore
    That's for sure. Both see my full text on the inn keeper law. Also if you go to COMAR on the rest stops, it just says display or discharge is prohibited.

Of course. if you combine no displaying or discharging of firearms at a rest stop,
    …..Maryland rest stops are state property, therefore you cannot carry a firearm into them.
    False. You can enter and park at a Maryland Rest stop on I95, I-70, US 15, etc with 500 firearms in your possession and no law is violated.

You are prohibited from DISPLAYING and/or DISCHARGING a firearm in a rest stop.

Open carry- that’s a violation.

If nobody can see it (display) then absolutely no crime has been committed.

BurkeM

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2014
    Baltimore
    Did YOU read the statute? A W&C does not exempt you from the ban for carry in state buildings. ANY state building. Rest stop buildings are state owned.

COMAR at the very least is going to get you arrested. Then good luck if the DA still presses charges.
    COMAR - Code of Maryland REGULATIONS.

Policy, not LAW.

BurkeM

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2014
    Baltimore
    At public events/gatherings/parades unlawful to carry?
    No. You really need to READ the statute.

If a law enforcement officer notices that you are carrying a firearm and orders you to leave the area (to a sufficient distance from the demonstration or protest) and you REFUSE to leave, you can be arrested and charged with a misdemeanor. IF the “event” is a “demonstration” as defined by the statute.

If you have a HGP-

Public events- no prohibition.
    “Gatheringa”- no prohibition.
    Parades- no prohibition.
    4th of July or New Year’s fireworks- no prohibition.

Criminal Code 4-208: (read the actual definitions in the statute)

thomfantomas

Crna Ovca
    Feb 15, 2013
    Дундак ex Florida Keys
    No. You really need to READ the statute.

If a law enforcement officer notices that you are carrying a firearm and orders you to leave the area (to a sufficient distance from the demonstration or protest) and you REFUSE to leave, you can be arrested and charged with a misdemeanor. IF the “event” is a “demonstration” as defined by the statute.

If you have a HGP-

Public events- no prohibition.
    “Gatheringa”- no prohibition.
    Parades- no prohibition.
    4th of July or New Year’s fireworks- no prohibition.

Criminal Code 4-208: (read the actual definitions in the statute)

Merci

BurkeM

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2014
    Baltimore
    Never mind that possessing a loaded handgun is prohibited EVERYWHERE in Maryland (other than your home and place of business- if your employer consents- and the firing range) without a Handgun Permit.

All of the cited statutes and regulations primarily provide an additional charge for police for anyone caught WITHOUT a permit.

Naturally, since 1972, the General Assembly considered permits to be restricted to the wealthy and politically connected elites, not “normal” peasants.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    loops12

Latest threads

Top Bottom