• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • awptickes

Jun 26, 2011
    N. Of Perryville
    Last winter, while doing some work on an antenna out in the yard, I dropped my Kershaw Brawler. I found it about 8 months later.

10686599_10204169882679809_3523841218751326174_n.jpg

After I cleaned it with some Hoppe's No. 9, and re-oiled it, it looks like this. I could send it to Kershaw, but that'll take time, and I really don't want to risk it getting lost/stolen, since I like the "patina" now.

How do I go about putting a new edge on it?

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Lot of work to get a new edge on there yourself. The new edge will start where the old one ends. I would pay a pro to do it.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Wow, whole blade is going to have to be re-ground to put a decent edge back on, IMO.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    So, basically, send it back to kershaw and have them put a new edge on it?

Yep.

Use that warranty and free sharpening service for all it's worth.

**If they call you, let them know you don't want the blade replaced, because that's what I'd do in their position.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    So, basically, send it back to kershaw and have them put a new edge on it?
    Kershaw will probably either put a new blade on it, or send you a new knife.

If you want a new edge, my suggestion would be to go after it with a diamond hone first - you can take a lot of metal off in a hurry with a diamond hone to get a good rough edge on it, then you can hone it like you would normally.

BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County
    I sent my brawler and my compound back to them a few weeks back. They replaced the torsion bars for free and put a great edge on both. Turn around time was around 2.5 weeks.

inkd

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge
    I sent a bunch of knives to Burrbenders and they came back wicked sharp with a fast turnaround.

Well worth it to me for my mothers kitchen knives!!!

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    I have a Lansko sharpening set that works well but that would be a challenge. I'd send to Kershaw and ask that they not replace it but tune it up so you can keep the patina.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    Get an extra course stone(or even a file if you've got one of them bastards laying around) and go perpendicular across the edge to grind the edge uniform and work the chips out. Once you've re shaped the edge profile, use a clamp system like a lanky to re grind a uniform edge bevel on both sides, flipping frequently to keep it centered. After a little elbow grease, that knife will be back to normal. It isn't really hard to do, you shoul be fine doing it yourself.

That or just buy a new one and rub some mustard on it to patina it how you want it...those knives are cheap enough to experiment on without worrying too much. Be careful about using mechanized sharpening when having to remove that much stock, with a belt-sander you can easily overheat it and ruin the heat treatment....especially at the tip.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    If you can sharpen then start with a coarse aggressive stone or file, if you can't then buy a new one, IMO not worth sending it to KAI or paying someone to sharpen a $20 knife.

outrider58

Cold Damp Spaces
    MDS Supporter
    Last winter, while doing some work on an antenna out in the yard, I dropped my Kershaw Brawler. I found it about 8 months later.

10686599_10204169882679809_3523841218751326174_n.jpg

After I cleaned it with some Hoppe's No. 9, and re-oiled it, it looks like this. I could send it to Kershaw, but that'll take time, and I really don't want to risk it getting lost/stolen, since I like the "patina" now.

How do I go about putting a new edge on it?

Send it to me with return shipping and i'll sharpen it and send it back to you, no charge. Trust me. I'll do it in a couple days.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom