• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Im loaded up with these. I know you guys may scream gimmick but I have run hundreds of these rounds through pump and semi-shotguns without a hick-up. Pumpkin tests were devastating at 15 yards

125051_ts.JPG

Very similar to an old load used in Civil War smoothbores and very effective.

125051i_ts.JPG

Sirex

Powered by natural gas
    Oct 30, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    Im loaded up with these. I know you guys may scream gimmick but I have run hundreds of these rounds through pump and semi-shotguns without a hick-up. Pumpkin tests were devastating at 15 yards

125051_ts.JPG

Very similar to an old load used in Civil War smoothbores and very effective.

125051i_ts.JPG

I have some of those, and they do a LOT of damage to plywood. If I recall correctly, they seemed to have quite a bit of kick. I like them. They are the last round in my tube.

I sat and thought up the perfect round for a home invasion and think I nailed it. A 3" shell consisting of #1 buckshot in front of Dragon's Breath. That way you can stop and cremate in one shot. Easy dust pan clean up. :D

Traveler

Lighten up Francis
    Jan 18, 2013
    AA County
    I have some of those, and they do a LOT of damage to plywood. If I recall correctly, they seemed to have quite a bit of kick. I like them. They are the last round in my tube.

I sat and thought up the perfect round for a home invasion and think I nailed it. A 3" shell consisting of #1 buckshot in front of Dragon's Breath. That way you can stop and cremate in one shot. Easy dust pan clean up. :D

3639-brilliant.jpg

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    We used to shoot action matches with 00 buck loads. I've never seen an 8-9" pattern out of any 00 buck load at 25 yards. I would be very interested in one that did shoot into that tight a pattern with consistency.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    I wanted to figure out why the federal truball hp slugs I got were so much more accurate than the cheap winchester super x slugs. I'm bored, it's summer, why not take emm apart and look? Here's what was inside if you guys were curious...

1.JPG

IMAG5564.jpg

Everything about the federal was higher quality. The hull of the winchester cut through like butter, the federal's hull was harder/thicker plastic and took a lot more effort to push through. The wad of the federal is designed to crush to reduce recoil and interlock with the polymer ball of the slug to keep it true and to swage uniformly through the forcing cone/choke. It's also shorter than the wad assembly of the winchester, making the federal a shorter overall length and easier to handle. The wad of the winchester is just a couple stacks of cardboard...no real magic going on there.

The powder of the winchester was capped with a little plastic cap. Most of the powder was clumped together in large chunks..with one big chunk stuck to the cap and one big clump stuck down near the primer. It wasn't real uniform at all. The federal had those beautiful large disks that took up more volume and it was very uniform and loose...no clumps anywhere.

The slugs themselves were pretty close in design. The winchester clearly doesn't have a polymer ball though. There's a thicker driving band around the base of the winchester slug and the molding was less crisp. The bottom of the winchester had over-mold crud all over it. The federal had a little, but it was much cleaner. The federal has narrower grooves in the rifling, but thicker lands. They're about the same depth.

I shot them a while ago, but the federal was the clear winner. Remington sluggers were actually not too far behind. The winchesters groups were pretty crappy. My barrel is a factory remington 18.5" fixed modified choke.

So, what I found with the buckshot is still true with the slugs. Winchester super x sucks, federal is the cat's meow and remington is somewhere in the middle.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    I wanted to figure out why the federal truball hp slugs I got were so much more accurate than the cheap winchester super x slugs. I'm bored, it's summer, why not take emm apart and look? Here's what was inside if you guys were curious...

View attachment 124115

View attachment 124116

Everything about the federal was higher quality. The hull of the winchester cut through like butter, the federal's hull was harder/thicker plastic and took a lot more effort to push through. The wad of the federal is designed to crush to reduce recoil and interlock with the polymer ball of the slug to keep it true and to swage uniformly through the forcing cone/choke. It's also shorter than the wad assembly of the winchester, making the federal a shorter overall length and easier to handle. The wad of the winchester is just a couple stacks of cardboard...no real magic going on there.

The powder of the winchester was capped with a little plastic cap. Most of the powder was clumped together in large chunks..with one big chunk stuck to the cap and one big clump stuck down near the primer. It wasn't real uniform at all. The federal had those beautiful large disks that took up more volume and it was very uniform and loose...no clumps anywhere.

The slugs themselves were pretty close in design. The winchester clearly doesn't have a polymer ball though. There's a thicker driving band around the base of the winchester slug and the molding was less crisp. The bottom of the winchester had over-mold crud all over it. The federal had a little, but it was much cleaner. The federal has narrower grooves in the rifling, but thicker lands. They're about the same depth.

I shot them a while ago, but the federal was the clear winner. Remington sluggers were actually not too far behind. The winchesters groups were pretty crappy. My barrel is a factory remington 18.5" fixed modified choke.

So, what I found with the buckshot is still true with the slugs. Winchester super x sucks, federal is the cat's meow and remington is somewhere in the middle.

Interesting.

Lucca1

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 9, 2013
    Behind Enemy Lines
    You can buy the Federal 01 15 pellet buck pretty easily. I bought a bunch from Ammunition Depot.

LE132 1b

http://le.atk.com/ammunition/federal/buckshot/details.aspx?id=998

ETA-I bought this stuff last August.

It looks like they have this in stock again but it is selling at $7.19/5 rounds after the 5% promo code (ADGunstest). This is the first that I have seen it in stock anywhere but that's almost 2x what Police HQ has it listed at. Has anyone seen it elsewhere in stock at a lower price?
    http://www.ammunitiondepot.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=LE1321B&CartID=1

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    WOW, my backorder from who knows when for the Federal #1 Buck is shipping today or tomorrow.

Streicher's (Police HQ).

:D

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    IIRC, it was "unknown."

But my order has been in for at LEAST a year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom