• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • frankenauto

Aug 9, 2013
    Hi all - I frequently take my family camping in in the national forest around Davis, WV - any decent areas where you can shoot safely (pistol, maybe rifle) - we have a 4 wheel drive vehicle so we can access most dirt roads - I know its allowed in the forest (and I checked with the forest rangers office in Elkins), but any help appreciated in finding a decent spot -

Thanks much -

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    http://www.wvdnr.gov/Hunting/SRanges.shtm#SR5

5. Pleasant Creek WMA

Outdoor range: 200-yard maximum backstop distance with eight covered shooting benches.
    Six miles north of Philipi off U.S. Routes 119/250 on county Route 10 (Pleasant Creek Road) approximately one-half mile.

this place above is IIRC about 45 minutes east of Davis.

stonewall jackson is about 1.5 hours from davis and has a range that goes out to 300 yds.

i'm out in canaan this week and may hit one or both these ranges to sight in a new glock 22.

Oldmarylander

Jun 25, 2013
    I own property in Barbour County not to far from the Pleasant Creek WMA. I shoot there often. It is a basic range, with 8 covered shooting positions and a 200 yard field. Dawn to dusk except Sundays, when it is 1pm to dusk (there is a church nearby). Bring target stands and targets, it is nothing but dirt and grass beyond the firing line.

It isn't exactly close to Davis though. Probably more like an hour unless you know the roads and are speeding. I camp out that way often as well, but there are no public ranges that I know of.

OMA

ChrisD

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2013
    Conowingo
    The Mountaineer Chapter of IWLA has a range near Beverly. One would have to join the chapter to use it, should be about 45-50 minutes from Davis.

frankenauto

Aug 9, 2013
    Thank you all for the ideas - I am sure I will try one or more with my family - I visit out their often and it is a very pretty area - I've been going out their since I was a kid and we used to shoot in the abandoned strip mining areas -

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    Nothing to contribute but I spent the Friday night and Saturday in Davis and Thomas, WV. Beautiful out there.

I often camp at Blackwater Falls State Park. Absolutely beautiful and fabulous hiking around the area. I'll be camping several days next week at Deep Creek Lake State Park and thought about a day trip to Blackwater. It's only about 45 or 50 minutes away from Deep Creek. Absolutely beautiful! Not just the Falls area itself, but Lindy Point at the edge of the State Park is breathtaking (and a pretty easy hike).

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    BuffaloBrent

Latest threads

Top Bottom