• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013
    Out of curiosity I checked the suicide statistics for the USA against the statistics for the UK, which has strict gun control. In the USA about 51% of suicides are by firearm, while in the UK it's only 1.8%. But the suicide rate is comparable (12.6 per 100K in the USA; 11.8 per 100K in the UK). Bottom line: people find a way whether there is a "gun culture" or not.

Excellent statistic to know and share. Liberally.

I've never seen that Moms or Everytown recited that one.

Reptile

Ultimate Member
    Sep 29, 2014
    Columbia MD
    Regarding the suicide/accident determination (and assuming this is a military member as was mentioned earlier) - speaking from personal experience, the military is VERY shy to call any death a suicide because of the large financial implications (SGLI foremost) of doing so. I wonder whether that is the case here.

I had a military tenant whose wife left him and he was found with a bullet hole in his temple and a revolver in his hand. It was ruled an "accident.". While active duty I had two other questionable deaths which were categorized as accidents.

I don't know if it's a recent change or not, but SGLI does not distinguish between causes of death when settling a claim. There are other disqualifiers, but suicide is no longer one, unless the service member commits suicide while AWOL more than 30 days, or after having pay and allowances suspended for more than 30 days, etc.

Ra66it

Shenanigans!
    Dec 28, 2013
    The Dena
    I responded to this incident. Just noticed this thread. Without being too descriptive I will try to answer some of the questions I have seen in this thread because as usual, the media got it wrong...
    It was self inflicted, not an accident
    It was a .357 revolver rental weapon
    He was shooting .38 special obtained from the range with the rental
    He was shooting for quite a while prior to the "incident"
    As far as asking to shoot on a separate part of the range, the staff indicated that is not an uncommon request
    There was no indication the person was military
    I'm sure I missed some questions

doc19

Dec 13, 2008
    Anne Arundel County
    I appreciate you adding to this. Trust me, I understand your reluctance to post.

But, it's good information to have. Thanks.

Doc19 - Thank you for posting about this, and I am very sorry you had such a terrible experience...

No problem, I figured raising awareness was worth the post. And thanks for the concern.

I responded to this incident. Just noticed this thread...

You guys got there super quick, and were true professionals. Made me feel safer living in AA County.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom