• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SWO Daddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2011
    Not really, at least the fat people are trying.
    Meh. Going to the range and practicing is trying. I'm not in the habit of giving unsolicited advice, but I've been asked for pointers more than once just being friendly (vs. taking pictures of their target). Lessons might be better, but repetition helps IMO.

90% of people at indoor ranges shoot like that or worse. As long as they're being safe, following the rules (speaking of which - aren't cell phones banned on the range at Cindy's?) and don't reek of pot smoke, I find them far less annoying than the fudds who want to appoint themselves RSO and call range cold every 5 minutes to measure their 3-shot group they shot over 20lbs of sandbags.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    Meh. Going to the range and practicing is trying. I'm not in the habit of giving unsolicited advice, but I've been asked for pointers more than once just being friendly (vs. taking pictures of their target). Lessons might be better, but repetition helps IMO.

90% of people at indoor ranges shoot like that or worse. As long as they're being safe, following the rules (speaking of which - aren't cell phones banned on the range at Cindy's?) and don't reek of pot smoke, I find them far less annoying than the fudds who want to appoint themselves RSO and call range cold every 5 minutes to measure their 3-shot group they shot over 20lbs of sandbags.
    Repetition only helps if you're doing the right things. You can shoot like crap and shoot everyday, if your fundamentals suck, you will continue to suck.

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    Just venting....
    Went to Cindy's today. Lane next to me.
    If you are shooting shit like this at 5 yards, save your money, ammo, pack up and just go home.
    These 2 guys must have had 10 pistols between them.
    Yeah. This was representative of 8 out of 10 lanes.

Rant over! Enjoy your weekend!

4d792d41197986c3ada398605108a9d7.jpg
    Par for the course. I rarely see anyone actually shooting for groups.

SWO Daddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2011
    Repetition only helps if you're doing the right things. You can shoot like crap and shoot everyday, if your fundamentals suck, you will continue to suck.
    We will have to agree to disagree.

That aside, we sound like dicks/the Maryland General Assembly (but, I repeat myself) shitting on (likely) new shooters and saying they have no business exercising a right without training.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    We will have to agree to disagree.

That aside, we sound like dicks/the Maryland General Assembly (but, I repeat myself) shitting on (likely) new shooters and saying they have no business exercising a right without training.
    So you think not shooting properly is just as good as doing things the right way? Wow

Who is being denied their Rights by criticizing the way someone shoots?

They weren't "likely" new shooters. They must have had 10 pistols between them.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    "... only perfect practice makes perfect."

Vince Lombardi

I'll defer to Vince on achieving Perfection .

But the more interesting question :

Given a baseline of " medium acceptable competence " , would occasional mediocre quality practice do better or worse than no practice , to maintain or improve baseline competency ?

outrider58

Loves Red Balloons
    MDS Supporter
    I'll defer to Vince on achieving Perfection .

But the more interesting question :

Given a baseline of " medium acceptable competence " , would occasional mediocre quality practice do better or worse than no practice , to maintain or improve baseline competency ?
    I've watched people at the range who have been shooting a long time and they still don't understand the importance of proper grip, so I don't know. Some will improve, some will not.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009

it be like that sometimes bro

I looked twice , and didn't see spelled out distance markings. The three lines on the floor could imply 5 yards between each , and the distance behind third to target would make for the common 50 foot range .
    Don't know the effective focal length of the camera/ cellphone , so can't say for sure if the target is full size B-27 , or 2/3 size .

But sure ! One hand point shooting at 50 feet , mag dumping as fast as you can jerk the trigger , will mostly miss . Assuming the shooter was trying to hit the target , consistent bad trigger control would make hitting Less likely than putting rounds thru the adjacent air space .
    Pure odds would favor 1 or 2 accidentally hitting target , but not a very big stretch of probability to miss an entire mag .

Heck , I've entirely missed a target a lot closer than that . But it was a bullseye in 12 inch - ish square paper at 7 yards . With a Raven .25 with 20 lb SA trigger .

On the humorous flip side , it IS challenging to shoot a 50 round COF on a Q Milkbottle , and delibertly have no two shots touching . If only because at 25 yards , it's hard to see individual holes .

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I've watched people at the range who have been shooting a long time and they still don't understand the importance of proper grip, so I don't know. Some will improve, some will not.

While that can be true , my point was leaning twords exploring a hypothesis that they would be even worse X time frame later , if they Didn't do the imperfect practicing .

Rambler

Doing the best with the worst.
    Oct 22, 2011
    Ad Astra per aspera
    aka per aspera ad astra
    Virgil, NASA, Kansas, or Star Trek? Where one knows this from is telling.

Sorry, living in a household with wife and 3 daughters who took yearssssss of Latin; it rubs off on you.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom