• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • a216vcti

Cliff
    Oct 19, 2009
    Here's a n00b question for you. Can I take my gun to a range when it's raining. I'm thinking hap baker. The gun will be under the a roof and probably never get wet. Well, at least I hope.

biermkr

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2007
    Almost Heaven
    I'd rather be shooting in the rain than sitting at work!

If you clean and make sure you remove all the moisture from your guns you will be fine.

Have fun!

Boondock Saint

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2008
    White Marsh
    If it gets wet, give it a couple good shots of oil before you pack up for the day then a nice, thorough cleaning when you get home. As you mentioned, your equipment is unlikely to get wet at Hap.

Oct 21, 2008
    St Mary's
    The Army Navy and Marines don't stop for rain.... Keep 'em oiled and clean when your done and your weapon(s) won't know the difference.

Tootall

Feelings Hurter
    Oct 3, 2008
    AACO
    ive shot in the rain, in blowing snow, wind. Dress for the weather and have fun. Theres no better feeling than shooting a mosin with snow coming down all around you. then home to drink vodka yes!

Boondock Saint

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2008
    White Marsh
    ive shot in the rain, in blowing snow, wind. Dress for the weather and have fun. Theres no better feeling than shooting a mosin with snow coming down all around you. then home to drink vodka yes!

I've got one on the way. I'm more than a little excited to shoot it in the "cold" weather.:D

august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    A few weeks ago, a bunch of us were up at Delta in the pouring rain. Rifles, shotguns and pistols.

Just made sure everything was thoroughly cleaned when I got home.

hawxter996

this avatar is offensive!
    Nov 11, 2008
    at home
    Here's a n00b question for you. Can I take my gun to a range when it's raining. I'm thinking hap baker. The gun will be under the a roof and probably never get wet. Well, at least I hope.

myself and the wife were shooting in the snow at savage river range last month.
    she loved it,beautiful scenery.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    Shooting in the rain has no effect on the bullet.

Your firearms should be protected with a coat of oil/equivalent beforehand, and will require immediate attention afterward.

You must protect your ammunition from getting wet, since wet ammunition will cause pressure spikes.

vette97

Ultimate Member
    Feb 9, 2008
    Carroll County, Maryland
    I did just that this morning. Took my Garand up to Hap in the 10:00 hour. I got the last rifle lane available. Fired off 8 clips in the cold, raw weather in honor of those WWII Veterans that had to do the same thing many decades ago. They, however, didn't have the convenience of covered shooting and a cease fire.

When I got there, I saw 6 other cars in the parking lot. When I left, there were 18 other cars and a long line out the door, people standing in the rain, waiting for a lane. If you time it right you/your gun will not get wet up there. My Garand got the most moist from my exhaled breath condensing while shooting.

Mega

Wolverine
    Feb 18, 2009
    Lewes, DE
    Rain? pfffttt...
    This one even laughs at saltwater! :D

DSCN0003.JPG

DSCN0002.JPG

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Two caveats, if you use cardboard as a target holder it will turn into mush and if you print your own targets using a inkjet printer they will run (laser printing doesn't have this problem).

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    lsmitty67

Latest threads

Top Bottom