• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • esrepairman

Mar 21, 2011
    Fredneck, MD
    Does anyone know for sure how far away a shooter has to be from a residence to shoot legally in Frederick county and/or Maryland?
    Where can this information be obtained?
    Just trying to be a good and legal neighbor. :)
    I do live out in the "country", and am shooting downhill, into a small stream valley, so I do have a safe backdrop, as it is probably 2+ miles in that direction towards the nearest home, and am not shooting anything high power.

machman1967

Aug 30, 2009
    Frederick
    pretty sure its 150 yards from nearest house (not yours), which is also (i believe) the hunting regulation. I have not been able to find a listing that says you cannot shoot on your land in Frederick.

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    Just start shooting and see if the fuzz shows up! No really call MSP, but i think your ok. Hell, we hunt in fredneck right at the 150 yard limit, and nobody seems to mind.

As long as you have a good back stop, are responsable, and talk to your neighbors about what your doing, i doubt they would compalin.

WeaponsCollector

EXTREME GUN OWNER
    Mar 30, 2009
    Southern MD
    In Calvert it's 150 yds

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Got some neighbors down the street here in Calvert Co. who were shooting for much of the day today and it sounds like it was right next to their house. Next time they do any shooting I think I'm going to walk down there and ask if I can join them.

LongTom

Jan 13, 2010
    Southern Maryland
    I went around and around about this (called the state police and county) and I am fairly confident about my answer. As long as you have the HOMEOWNER'S permission that range does not apply to HIS house - only to the homes around it.

If I were you I wouldn't rely on all of us "shithouse lawyers" and call your local sherriffs department.

I can not advise you strongly enough that when you call DO NOT speak to the duty person who answers the phone. They're great people but ask to speak with one of the investigators. Those guys HAVE to know their shit.

Another GREAT person to call is the prosecutors office for your local courts. They know everything and can quote most of it verbatim.

Advice like this gained from internet research isn't going to help you when you're in hot water and standing before the judge.

Here's my story;

Used to live across the street from AACPD (Western District) and every Sat/Sun. I had 5-8 people over shooting.Not once did we have a problem.I always went by DNR/NRP rules (150 yds. from occupied structure/roadways).County police would stop by atleast once every weekend because of "calls" for "gunshots".

Had MSP stop by a couple times also (heard shots from road,Rt. 32).Only a couple times did they "suggest" that we finish up shortly,just to be neighborly.We never shot before 10:00 on Sat. or before noon on Sun. and were usually done by 4-5:00 which was/is well within the noise ordinance for AA county.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom