• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mr Oni

Military history nut
    Dec 11, 2010
    Brooklyn md.
    So I had the Trap door checked out. And went to a gun range. I can't see crap after 50 yards so thats where I was shooting. I have since Read that the Trapdoor is sighted for something insane like 150 - 200 yards. What can I do to hit the darned target? I went through about 30 rounds and had 1 hit at the very top of the target.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Taller front sight
    Or if you reload use a reduced load
    I shoot a load with pistol powder at 100

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

K-43

West of Morning Side
    Oct 20, 2010
    PG
    What Melnic says.
    I use starting loads with cast boolits in my 1884.
    Check the Lyman reloading manuals.

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    Aim low like the original soldiers did. Either pick an imaginary low spot to hold your sights or place another target low to aim at. If it’s safe to do so at your range, you can also place another piece of paper high for your shots to print.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    The original sights are set up for 200 yards or more, so if you want to hit the same target you're aiming at at 50 or 100 yards, you need to replace the original front sight with a taller one. That will bring down your point of impact.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    First off, that is a damn sexy car in your avatar! LTD? Granada/Monarch? :drool: (or a Lincoln with it's eyes open?)

I made a new front sight for mine out of sheetmetal. I think the classic material was a dime...if you were wealthy like that. I didn't try to make it pretty, and it shows...but it suits the condition of the rifle, and it works.

Ask the internet which direction to drive the pin out...I think it's tapered to go in (and out) one way, and I don't remember which. Support the sight when you drive out the pin so you don't knock the base off.

Drill the hole in your metal before you shape it, so you aren't trying to hold a tiny little piece to drill through. Make it too tall at first and file it down at the range to zero it.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    20240229_183840.jpg

Mr Oni

Military history nut
    Dec 11, 2010
    Brooklyn md.
    The original sights are set up for 200 yards or more, so if you want to hit the same target you're aiming at at 50 or 100 yards, you need to replace the original front sight with a taller one. That will bring down your point of impact.
    cant seem to find a taller one grr

Mr Oni

Military history nut
    Dec 11, 2010
    Brooklyn md.
    First off, that is a damn sexy car in your avatar! LTD? Granada/Monarch? :drool: (or a Lincoln with it's eyes open?)

I made a new front sight for mine out of sheetmetal. I think the classic material was a dime...if you were wealthy like that. I didn't try to make it pretty, and it shows...but it suits the condition of the rifle, and it works.

Ask the internet which direction to drive the pin out...I think it's tapered to go in (and out) one way, and I don't remember which. Support the sight when you drive out the pin so you don't knock the base off.

Drill the hole in your metal before you shape it, so you aren't trying to hold a tiny little piece to drill through. Make it too tall at first and file it down at the range to zero it.
    its none other than a 77 thunderbird I wish i was handy like you. how tall is your front sight

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    its none other than a 77 thunderbird I wish i was handy like you. how tall is your front sight
    I can check tomorrow evening, but I don't know if it would really help. My rifle has the other not-Buffington rear sight and is zeroed at 100 for 405gr and black powder. The odds of your rifle matching up are pretty slim ;)
    You could maybe do some calculations with ratios of your existing height, distance between the sights, distance to target, and existing point of impact...and desired point of impact with the new height as a variable....I'd have to play around to re-figure it out. Surely, someone more practiced can explain :o

The math will only get you so far, though. Ultimately, you'll need to burn some ammo at the range and file down the new sight little by little...without going too far!

OR...leave the new sight too tall (which will give you a low point of impact) and sight it in by adjusting the elevation on the rear sight. You will just have to note which reading (which is no longer calibrated) on the rear sight correlates to the actual distance you are shooting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom