• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Glockman

Jun 20, 2011
    I was wondering if any of you shoot the Russian stuff through your ARs. I am in the middle of building mine, and noticed that there is a significant price difference between Wolf and decent quality brass ammo.

Do you feel comfortable shooting Wolf in your gun? Why or why not?

Thanks!

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    I shoot both brass cased (PMC, UMC, Federal) as well as Wolf and Brown Bear. Any well assembled, well maintained AR of quality parts will run any of it just fine. Several thousand rounds through mine of steel cased I would guess.

guthook

Grrr.
    Apr 7, 2008
    St. Mary's
    Found out recently that I have guns that run it and guns that won't. Ironically, the LMT DI carbine is the one that won't. The "lower tier" guns run it just fine.:rolleyes:

It is filthy and underpowered, so I only use it when I don't want to worry about saving my brass. (for reloading)

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    Personally I prefer to shoot brass cased ammo in my AR's - especially in my higher quality guns. I've tried both Wolf and Tula steel cased ammo. Some of my AR's do not feed or cycle it well. Other folks will tell you it works fine in their guns. I can tell you my AK and SKS love steel case ammo - but thay are different guns and built to digest it.

99% of what I feed my AR's is my brass-cased reloads. My cost per round is close to that of steel case.

AR's are all different. Trying the ammo in your rifle will tell you whether it will work well for you or not.

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    I think the point everyone's echoing is to give it a try and see for yourself if you like it. If you are worried about damaging your rifle, you're likely worrying for nothing.

Glockman

Jun 20, 2011
    Okay thanks everyone...guess I will just have to try a couple boxes and see how it feeds before I decide its good ammo for general practice.

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    Found out recently that I have guns that run it and guns that won't. Ironically, the LMT DI carbine is the one that won't. The "lower tier" guns run it just fine.:rolleyes:

It is filthy and underpowered, so I only use it when I don't want to worry about saving my brass. (for reloading)

What guthook said is my point. My cheaper AR's will run cheaper ammo. My better quality rifles will not. They much prefer better quality ammo.

Glockman

Jun 20, 2011
    It's funny because you would think that more expensive ARs would be able to handle dirtier ammo better. I am putting a NiBo BCG in mine with the idea that it will be easier to clean, so I guess I will just keep my fingers crossed and hope it likes the cheaper stuff.

MDMOUNTAINEER

Glock, AR, Savage Junkie
    Mar 4, 2009
    West Virginia
    I usually order 2 cases of steel for every case of brass. We usually set up different courses on the farm and it's hard to police brass that gets flung all over the place when shooting on the move. If I'm shooting from the bench or prone I'll shoot brass so I can save it for reloads.

I have only had issues with steel in my bushmaster, which must be a good thing because better guns won't shoot steel ( I didn't even know, until today, that bushmasters were right up there with LMT). My shitty BCM, spikes, and palmetto uppers all cycle steel fine. I have a STAG which doesn't even have a tier it's so crappy, but I've put upwards of 20k of steel through it.

Just poking a little fun at you tier 1 guys. Please don't take it personally. :D

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    I was wondering if any of you shoot the Russian stuff through your ARs. I am in the middle of building mine, and noticed that there is a significant price difference between Wolf and decent quality brass ammo.

Do you feel comfortable shooting Wolf in your gun? Why or why not?

Thanks!

Do it all the time. Would I shoot it through a $2000 AR precision build, hell no. But for the $499 to $899 Delton, BCM, Spikes uppers it runs just fine without a problem. Worst thing you will run into is a little extra extractor wear that unless you run 10k through a gun a year you wont notice either

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    Shoot a boatload of it with no problem in everything from parts guns to my Colts. Accurate and cheap. A little dirty but not too bad. Do be careful using it at an indoor range however. Sometimes the bullets will attract a magnet when you check.

Ammo casing steel is a relatively soft steel and will not create any undue wear on the high tensile strength barrel steel of your chamber. Bear in mind that steel casings were a staple (and often still are) of many of the world's largest militaries for the better part of a century for a reason. As for accuracy I've had luck hitting steel plates @ 600m with 62gr. Wolf. I've also had less problems with Wolf than I have with some of the repackaged surplus brass stuff that cost almost twice as much.

Last edited:

tball

Ultimate Member
    May 20, 2010
    St. Augustine, Florida
    I have shot a lot of Russian ammo with my Bushmaster. No FTF's or FTE's. Give a few different brands a try. If you shoot at the AGC, I will let you try a couple of brands that I shoot to see how they work for you.

Good luck!

knownalien

Ultimate Member
    Jan 3, 2010
    Glen Burnie, MD.
    shooting steel is ok. keep the chamber clean. Mixing brass and steel can be unwise. steel doesn't expand like brass and blowback surrounds the case in the chamber. Brass expands and helps seal the chamber. With time, the blowback with steel will "tighten" the chamber making extracting questionable. So have a good bore brush and a strong cleaner.

it is underpowered usually and very dirty.

buy a spare extractor just in case.

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    It's funny because you would think that more expensive ARs would be able to handle dirtier ammo better. I am putting a NiBo BCG in mine with the idea that it will be easier to clean, so I guess I will just keep my fingers crossed and hope it likes the cheaper stuff.

A true milspec AR like a BCM or Colt 6920 should have no problems shooting it, since they are designed to work with ammo that may be out of spec. My BCM has never malfunctioned with it...my Bushmaster has.

Regardless of AR type, who cares if it malfunctions? This isn't ammo you trust your life to in the first place. Second, you get to learn how to fix those malfunctions if they happen.

FFMike

Ultimate Member
    Feb 4, 2010
    Howard County
    I have run Tula thru my Sig 516.... No issues with firing or ejection, however it is not as accurate as the federal brass stuff I shoot from Walmart.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    bring a cleaning rod and learn how to mortar your rifle to clear a stuck case. Keep the chamber clean and the bcg wet. Steel should be fine. BTW, the hornady steel match ammo is actually pretty surprisingly accurate and relatively cheap.

guthook

Grrr.
    Apr 7, 2008
    St. Mary's
    A true milspec AR like a BCM or Colt 6920 should have no problems shooting it, since they are designed to work with ammo that may be out of spec. My BCM has never malfunctioned with it...my Bushmaster has.

Regardless of AR type, who cares if it malfunctions? This isn't ammo you trust your life to in the first place. Second, you get to learn how to fix those malfunctions if they happen

This.:thumbsup: I've had a good bit of malfunction drill practice with Wolf, which isn't neccessarily a bad thing, because I've only used it at the range.;)

My "bump in the night" mags are loaded with M193 and M855.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom