• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nezumi

Dec 4, 2007
    We’re looking to signs my wife up for CCW while it’s legal, anticipating it may get tougher in the future, but are not in a location where regular carry is feasible. We’ve also not owned any handguns, but have rented at the range for fun.

Since this is a 99% in the safe/twice a year range/theoretical carry gun, for a lady, what is the best method of shopping?

In my imagination, we pop down to a few pawn shops, feel what works nicely in her hand, dry fire, check reviews, buy + holster, practice, CCW training, then more shooting training maybe next year (noting we’d probably put 200 rounds through in a year). But it seems weird to pick up a gun without actually putting some rounds through, and handguns seem harder to ‘size’ than long guns I’m used to.

Is it smarter to go to a range, rent the model there, then buy it? Are we alright buying it used, or would we be better to hit Bass Pro?

(Model type will mostly likely be a compact 9mm Glock or Sig, nothing special. But if I find something more fun to shoot, that might mean more practice time, so that’s a second-tier purchasing consideration.)

Appreciate any thoughts!

Mr. Ed

This IS my Happy Face
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2009
    Edgewater
    #1 Avoid Bass Pro. Unless you love to wait in long lines. Unless things have changes, they will not let you dry fire anything.
    #2 Definitely rent a few pistols at a range to see what fits and shoots best in her hands.
    #3 When you're ready to buy, get it from a LGS (locally owned gun store) where the staff are helpful and you've gotten good service. Support the folks who supported you.
    #4. Remember that opinions are like feet... many folks have them, and a lot of them stink. Mine included. Good luck! :rolleyes:

Garet Jax

Not ignored by gamer_jim
    MDS Supporter
    May 5, 2011
    Bel Air
    Does she have a lot of experience where will she know what she likes quickly?

If not, I believe you have to "figure" it out. The best way to do that is to figure out the caliber and the gun separately.

I recommended renting 3 guns from the same manufacturer first (9mm, .40 and .45). .380 ACP is the same diameter bullet as the 9mm so if she likes the 9mm best, you also look at .380ACP guns.

Fire enough rounds through them so she knows which caliber she likes the best.

You might be able to skip this step and go right to 9mm unless she is an atypical woman.

From there rent carry guns from as many manufacturers as she can in the caliber she chose. Again fire as many rounds through them until she knows which one she likes.

I would probably not buy a used gun for a carry gun. Carry guns are all the fad right now - someone selling one might be selling it because it has an issue. I would buy new.

beetles

MDS Supporter
    Dec 19, 2021
    We’re looking to signs my wife up for CCW while it’s legal, anticipating it may get tougher in the future, but are not in a location where regular carry is feasible. We’ve also not owned any handguns, but have rented at the range for fun.

Since this is a 99% in the safe/twice a year range/theoretical carry gun, for a lady, what is the best method of shopping?

In my imagination, we pop down to a few pawn shops, feel what works nicely in her hand, dry fire, check reviews, buy + holster, practice, CCW training, then more shooting training maybe next year (noting we’d probably put 200 rounds through in a year). But it seems weird to pick up a gun without actually putting some rounds through, and handguns seem harder to ‘size’ than long guns I’m used to.

Is it smarter to go to a range, rent the model there, then buy it? Are we alright buying it used, or would we be better to hit Bass Pro?

(Model type will mostly likely be a compact 9mm Glock or Sig, nothing special. But if I find something more fun to shoot, that might mean more practice time, so that’s a second-tier purchasing consideration.)

Appreciate any thoughts!
    I would suggest a LGS with a good stock over any other retailer. Pawn shops might be OK for a casual collector looking around for something of interest, but for someone looking to buy a firearm that best fits them for carry, then no. Same for big retailers (e.g.,Bass Pro/Cabelas). A shop that has a range may rent what they sell (and eventually also sell what they've rented) and you could try before you buy.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    I would suggest taking a basic handgun class using a loaner/rental full-size handgun. Let her learn how to shoot and what to expect.

Then, go to a range that rents handguns and try a few likely candidates. See what she likes and hopefully shoots well, and buy it.

Once she has her own handgun, take a more advanced class to learn defensive shooting.

rob

DINO Extraordinaire
    Oct 11, 2010
    Augusta, GA
    Just my $.02.

Most important thing is to let your wife pick out what she wants, not what you want her to want. It's ok to talk with her and help her think about what makes sense and how she'll use it. Just remember it's her gun, her call.

Sent from my SM-G990U1 using Tapatalk

md77

Aug 17, 2022
    MoCo
    I too would start with a class and then go to a local store that has a range. I would probably go directly to 9mm because. 40 in a small pistol is decidedly unfriendly. .45 is another easy to shoot caliber that doesn't get enough love, possibly in part to the love of high capacity pistols. Have her hold them all, rent and fire the ones she thinks she likes and then let her make her decision. I would have her shoot a revolver as well, never can tell what people will like and a good wheel gun is nothing to laugh at.

Buy new and buy locally. Kitchen table gunsmith abound and you don't want a self defense pistol someone had already "tweaked" to improve performance or trigger pull.

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    I would suggest a LGS with a good stock over any other retailer.

This. Go to a gun store, not a pawn shop or a sporting goods store. At Bass Pro I think they won't even remove the trigger lock for you, let alone let you rack or dry fire. Especially for ladies, they need to be sure they are comfortable racking the slide. Surprisingly, this is more true the smaller the gun, some .380's with small slides and stout springs are tough to rack.

Let us know what area you are located in, and people can recommend a good shop that won't try to sell you what you don't need or want.

Last edited:

IronEye

MDS Supporter
    Feb 10, 2018
    Howard County
    Echo the "rent first" or meet a friend at the range sentiment. You can't know how a gun will feel when you fire it until you actually fire it. Bigger and heavier guns are generally easier and more pleasant to shoot well, smaller guns are easier to carry.
    Women typically have smaller hands. Trigger reach can be a problem with guns with larger grips.
    With a semiauto you will have differing degrees of ease of racking the slide. Look at guns like the S&W EZ that are specifically designed to be easy to rack. She might like that - or maybe not.
    Focus on 9mm primarily. There are plenty of good choices chambered in 9mm. 9mm is cheaper to shoot, easier to find and has less recoil than 45 or 40. It is likely more effective than 380 for self defense. After you've narrowed down choices she could consider renting one of the other calibers.
    And definitely let her pick her gun.
    Range time date night could turn out to be a thing.

rob

DINO Extraordinaire
    Oct 11, 2010
    Augusta, GA
    If self defense is a concern, have her try a revolver. There is less to worry about if you need to use it.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Mostly what everybody has been saying , Except :

Your MDS friends are also a source of test shooting various guns .

Not all " Pawn Shops " are equivalent . Some of them are 95% a regular guns store , that will pawn something once a week for change of pace , others are primarily high interest lenders , who will sell a gun once a week for change of pace .

In General , most used guns are fine . But in the specific , Micro 9 have only recently become Ultra Popular , and not many used ones out in the marketplace . If one of your purchases is for a medium-sized belt/ night stand gun , you can get some deals on used .

200 rd/ yr , * might * be enough to keep your proficiency from massivwly deteriorating . But figure aprox 500 rds for initial acquisition of somewhat almost competence ( with the right gun , good Instructor , and thoughtful practice .)

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    If self defense is a concern, have her try a revolver. There is less to worry about if you need to use it.

Have her try a Revolver , because they are fine firearms , and she might prefer one on purpose .

IronEye

MDS Supporter
    Feb 10, 2018
    Howard County
    A revolver could be a fantastic choice - if it is her choice and she's had a chance to try both a revolver and a semiauto.
    A double action revolver is one of the easiest guns to learn to shoot. It is one of the hardest guns to learn shoot well (in double action).
    Practicing with a lightweight, fixed sight, snubnose revolver is certainly a challenge and for most people it is not a lot of fun to practice with.
    The two statements above being said a snubbie revolver is a very, very good choice for close range self defense.
    No slide to rack, reliable with any reasonable ammo choice, easy to see if it is loaded, no issues with cycling with a poor grip.
    Downsides are ammo is more expensive, lower capacity, slower to reload, speed loaders are clumsy and double action trigger pull is often heavier.
    I carry a revolver quite often.
    But needs to be her choice.

nezumi

Dec 4, 2007
    I appreciate all the feedback so far.

We're in the Baltimore area (hence, regular carry isn't really feasible right now). We really enjoy Cindy's Hot Shots as our local indoor range, but the rental selection is a bit skimpy, so for this exercise, we'll probably be heading to one of the larger ranges for a fun shooting day.

Edit: Looks like Cindy's selection under the glass is skimpy, but they list a ton more stuff that we didn't see when we last visited. So I guess I'll book a day to wander through their stock!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    cfreeman818

Latest threads

Top Bottom