• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • n&n'sdad

Take'em!!
    Dec 20, 2010
    In the goose pit
    Went out yesterday over in Kent Co. at one of our club pits, saw a few,2 decoyed,2 came home with us. Not a real good showing for this time of the year. Guess I'll stick around home and shoot some ducks.

Anybody else doing anything?

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    Too bright/sunny yesterday. I was under the weather so missed out, the guys I usually go with only killed one all morning.

Song Dog

Jan 2, 2013
    Eastern Shore -Delmarva
    Tailend of the moon phase, night feeding, most guys either only shooting few to not firing a cap so with rising temps the end of next week just seem goose hunting weather in the forecast :sad20:

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    Going out again on Wednesday to knock'em down. The guys out on the river and the creek around here have been making it sound like world war three all day for the past week. Moon Phase ???? LOL ok. I thought only Deer hunters used that excuse. I know the Deer Hunting Moon Phase "theory" is a complete joke, but, I didn't know Goose Hunters tried to use that excuse too.

Song Dog

Jan 2, 2013
    Eastern Shore -Delmarva
    Moon Phase "theory" is a complete joke, but, I didn't know Goose Hunters tried to use that excuse too.

No Excuse needed :D

AP geese became nocturnal in 70's due to hunting pressure, its part of their DNA that's been handed down wintering in Delmarva :D We have 2 species of geese in MD, AP (Atlantic Population) and RP (Resident Population) so not all geese are the same as RP geese are not as nocturnal as AP geese so depending on your area will depend on brand of birds. Remember we have 2 Zones in MD., but Northern RP populations from Canada and New England are pushed to the Mid Atlantic by weather so a Zone (AP) can have a mix of AP & RP that can be tracked by harvest leg bands resulting from harsher Northern winters forcing the RP's to seek open water and feed for fuel. So Moon Phase does have its affect on field hunting success over water hunting so if you're on water during these "moon phase" your success is greater than those who are not as lucky, just say'n.

ThatGuy179

Apr 2, 2012
    Pasadena
    my buddies and i have been knocking them down since christmas, yesterday everything flew over checking us out but nothing committed. there were large groups flying over all morning so we added another 160 full bodies just to take 2 right before shooting time in the evening.

n&n'sdad

Take'em!!
    Dec 20, 2010
    In the goose pit
    Yeah ours were singles,1st came over about 8:00 2nd about an hour later. Not a one after that.Saw quite a few that I don't think we could've hit with a rocket launcher!

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    I'm all geared up for my Wednesday morning hunt. Got my gun ready and my #4 steel reloads are ready to go. I reloaded 200 rounds for my buddy and I and there's more than enough for the day. I'm looking forward to getting back on the Geese now that Deer season is pretty much over in my book. Video camera will be on standby as well. I'd love to get some more Goose hunting video.

BenL

John Galt Speaking.
    I went the first two days of the season in December in Trappe. New moon, really cold, hunting in a corn field... it should have been a massacre. The first day we limited out by 8:15am (only flock that came in), and the second day, we got skunked. There just weren't a whole lot of birds flying.

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    This mornings hunt was a bust. Very few guys shooting on the river. Had a good 200+ fly over about a mile South of us and only had about 75 fly over us. Nothing in range and far and few between. Plenty of Crows and Turkeys though.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    I was planning on going Saturday morning, got a new Layout blind and all.

Looking like subtropical temps here on Saturday, probably won't be much flying.

Aside from opening day, I haven't killed a single bird.....

mark71211

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2012
    Edgewater
    Went out this past Saturday to Chester town with two other buddies and limited out by ten. They did not start flying till around nine but when they did we had lots of small groups flying. We were using 36 shells with 8 full bodies and hardly called at all.

n&n'sdad

Take'em!!
    Dec 20, 2010
    In the goose pit
    We're going to give it another try this Sat. but will probably stay local and shoot some greenheads and hopefully some woodies. I think I'm going to wait until the end of the season to head back over to the shore for some geese.

jmitche4

Jan 25, 2012
    We're going to give it another try this Sat. but will probably stay local and shoot some greenheads and hopefully some woodies. I think I'm going to wait until the end of the season to head back over to the shore for some geese.

where are you still shooting woodies?

Last edited:

Song Dog

Jan 2, 2013
    Eastern Shore -Delmarva
    Anybody killin' ducks? My buddy is bringing his new duck boat down next week; our plan is to try a couple of sea duck zones.

Usually Chesapeake Beach is ground Zero for Sea Ducks although heard not what it used to be but numbers of Sea Ducks have been good this year while they are skidish of boats this late in the season. Some good numers of SD @ the mouth of the Tank and Harris Creek but report a few weeks old. DNR is flying the winter survey this week so PM me as if I hear any better reports will reply to your PM.

Dock-Hunter

Dec 8, 2012
    Warm weather is not going to help the cause on the shore in the late season... was hoping on a cold snap to freeze up some of the open water.

I'm sure we will get a raft of ducks in during Feb.

n&n'sdad

Take'em!!
    Dec 20, 2010
    In the goose pit
    Yeah the warm weather is throwing a monkey wrench in my duck/goose season. Looks like its supposed to cool back off towards the end of this week. Might give it another try this weekend,but might just wait until the last week of the season for one last go at it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom