• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Life lesson, don't stand under the tree your buddy is shooting a bear out of.

I kind of figured that was one of those lessons they don't need to teach you before your first beer hunt...but you know what they say about common sense.

MDHunter

Ultimate Member
    Mar 12, 2007
    Free America
    I think on many hunts where bears are hunted with dogs, there is a dog handler along - and for some reason that I can't explain, this person often does not carry a weapon. Go figure...

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    That bear was pretty fast. Hope the guy had a big knife as he seemed to have no time to get a rifle on it (if he had one).

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    That bear was pretty fast. Hope the guy had a big knife revolver as he seemed to have no time to get a rifle on it (if he had one).

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Not a good place to be unarmed.

Elmer Keith told a story of being seriously wounded by an elk which turned out to be less dead than it looked. It flung Elmer through the air and continued to attack him. His rifle was lost when he was thrown, but he was able to finish the elk with his heavily loaded .44 Special (proto-magnum). The moral of the story was a back up revolver will stay with you if you're thrown or fall, and thus be there when you need it.

The dog handler should have had a S&W Triple Lock loaded with hard cast Keith-type semi wadcutters over a heavy load of 2400.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    I think on many hunts where bears are hunted with dogs, there is a dog handler along - and for some reason that I can't explain, this person often does not carry a weapon. Go figure...

He doesn't carry huh? Hmmm....Now let me think about this....

Now I'm somewhat inclined to think that Mr. Bear probably isn't going to like my dogs too much.

And that Mr. Bear probably isn't going to take too kindly to hauling his big bear azz through the woods being chased by my dogs.

Also gonna guess that maybe....just maybe....Mr. Bear might have preferred not to climb 40 feet up in that tree.

Now, I've gotta further figure that once Mr. Bear is up say 40 foot in that tree, I'm gonna further surmise that getting his fuzzy azzz powdered....not once but twice.....wasn't exactly what he had in mind when he climbed that tree to begin with.

Now you know, that fall probably wasn't so bad, come to think of it.

But that sudden stop? For some reason, I'm thinking that Mr. Bear saw that as being a real beotch, and perhaps wasn't particularly amused.

Now Me? Well I've done a LOT of hunting, but I've never hunted bear. And I've never handled bear dogs. So I'm no authority on the bear hunting subject.

But I've gotta be thinking that, especially if SOMEBODY ELSE is going to be doing the shooting? And the plan is for some big azzz bruin to get shot out of a tree, by somebody else no less, and said bruin might just wind up square in my dog handling lap?

Well, might be safe to assume that when Mr. Bear drops in from 40 feet to visit my dogs and me, with a powdered bear azzz, and having forgotten his parachute? Seems likely that he may well be in....shall we say....a somewhat less than pleasant demeanor?

Now 'ol Uncle Duke? 'Ol Uncle Duke, he's probably not going to be the bear dog handler today. And he sure as hell ain't gonna be the unarmed bear dog handler today.

But.... that's just me. And I could be wrong.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    I was reading a story this morning about a hiker that saw a black bear and while looking at it over some distance, another bear suddenly attacked the hiker, who did manage to get away even after being attacked and injured.

Last edited:

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    Life lesson, don't stand under the tree your buddy is shooting a bear out of.

I kind of figured that was one of those lessons they don't need to teach you before your first beer hunt...but you know what they say about common sense.
    :thumbsup:I wouldnt be under the tree thats for sure...

Id at least carry a pistol....I wouldnt have run up on that bear like that either..

inkd

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge
    When I went on bear hunting trips in Maine, we used dogs and the guide didn't carry a gun.

He said when he used to have others working for him, he would have them approach the dogs and that would keep the bear looking at that person, then he and the client would sneak in from the opposite direction to take a shot.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    So he stuck close to the guy with the gun, while he baited the bear with an unarmed patsy coming from he opposite direction?

And now he doesn't have anyone else working for him?

inkd

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge
    So he stuck close to the guy with the gun, while he baited the bear with an unarmed patsy coming from he opposite direction?

And now he doesn't have anyone else working for him?

I don't know if the other guy had a gun or not? When I hunted with him, it was just him. When the economy tanked, he damn near lost everything. When the economy was rolling, he had quite an operation.

My speculation, and it is just speculation, about why the guy in the video didn't have a gun may be because if he did shoot the bear and kill it, he would have to tag it, I would think?

He may not have had a license, he may have already tagged a bear and couldn't kill another.

Why he went running up to it like that, who the hell knows? I sure as hell wouldn't have gone near that thing until I knew it was dead and gone!

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    The client had the gun.

The guide stuck close to the client.

The guide's former employees were unarmed.

They were sent in from the opposite side as bait.

Now the guide can't find any more employees...

That's how I read it.

inkd

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge
    The client had the gun.

The guide stuck close to the client.

The guide's former employees were unarmed.

They were sent in from the opposite side as bait.

Now the guide can't find any more employees...

That's how I read it.

Whatever.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom