• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    I've gotten into shotgunning - the missus and I are both shooting trap. I have a reloader now, so the question is, where do I go in Central Maryland for supplies to feed it? At the moment I'm good on primers, powder, wads and hulls, but I'll need shot, and eventually I'll need wads and primers too.

I bought some shot at Bass Pro - I think I paid about $60 per 25 lb bag - but I'd gladly support a smaller LGS if I knew of one.

I know I'm probably going to get hit with the whole "it's not economical to reload for 12 ga." That may be true, but at the moment I still have 3500 primers, plenty of wads, plenty of powder and plenty of hulls - right now all I need to buy is shot, so until I'm out of the other supplies, it's far more economical for me to continue to pull the handle, and I get to choose how I'm loaded - I'm pretty sure I'm going to move to 1 oz loads for the missus to mitigate some recoil.

dannyp

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 30, 2018
    You could try clyde’s sports shop but I’m not sure if they have shot or not.

Medusa Joe

Industry Partner
    May 28, 2020
    Hollywood, MD
    I've gotten into shotgunning - the missus and I are both shooting trap. I have a reloader now, so the question is, where do I go in Central Maryland for supplies to feed it? At the moment I'm good on primers, powder, wads and hulls, but I'll need shot, and eventually I'll need wads and primers too.

I bought some shot at Bass Pro - I think I paid about $60 per 25 lb bag - but I'd gladly support a smaller LGS if I knew of one.

I know I'm probably going to get hit with the whole "it's not economical to reload for 12 ga." That may be true, but at the moment I still have 3500 primers, plenty of wads, plenty of powder and plenty of hulls - right now all I need to buy is shot, so until I'm out of the other supplies, it's far more economical for me to continue to pull the handle, and I get to choose how I'm loaded - I'm pretty sure I'm going to move to 1 oz loads for the missus to mitigate some recoil.
    we have SG wads, powder, primers and shot (#7.5, 8 & 9) usually in stock all the time. shot runs $55 per a 25lb bag; wads (claybusters) are $11 a bag for 12g & 20g. if our shop is too far for you, then you can always pick up at the chantilly gun show.

Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD
    I take a run up to Shyda's every 2 years and stock up, I check their website first to make sure they have what I'm looking for in stock. Right now they are out of the cheaper Eagle shot and only showing STS in stock. I will usually buy 10 bags at a time to justify the trip plus get powder and primers at the same time.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    we have SG wads, powder, primers and shot (#7.5, 8 & 9) usually in stock all the time. shot runs $55 per a 25lb bag; wads (claybusters) are $11 a bag for 12g & 20g. if our shop is too far for you, then you can always pick up at the chantilly gun show.
    That's not too far at all - my wife and I don't shy from taking drives on occasion when the opportunity calls for it - we make a day out of it. We'll drive, do whatever we're going to do, find a place to get something to eat - usually a local non-chain restaurant - and head on back. Those prices are certainly competitive with everything else I've seen recently.

For the moment I'm good on everything but shot. The last time I bought it, I bought 50 lbs, and I'm halfway through the 2nd bag - when you've got 2 people shooting 12 ga shotguns, we run through shells pretty quickly. She doesn't shoot as much as I do, but a typical outing has me shooting 4 rounds of trap and her shooting 2, so 150 shells.

I'm also looking to move to a different loading for recoil mitigation. I'll move to 1 oz loads, which will also make shot go a bit further.

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    Shydas only ever has the powder no one uses. I did look at a 1 pound bottle of E3 for like $45. Hell no LOL

Their shtick the last few years seems heavily into shotshell ammo. They turned their upstairs clothing store into all racks of mostly shotgun ammo and whatever reloading supplies no one wants to buy.

You used to have to wait at the batcave door for someone to handcart all the bulk shit out to you, now you can pick it yourself

Medusa Joe

Industry Partner
    May 28, 2020
    Hollywood, MD
    That's not too far at all - my wife and I don't shy from taking drives on occasion when the opportunity calls for it - we make a day out of it. We'll drive, do whatever we're going to do, find a place to get something to eat - usually a local non-chain restaurant - and head on back.
    and that's the right attitude! leisurely drive down, get some good food at a local (unchained) restaurant, visit us and some other LGS's in the area, then head back. remember to call first as we don't have set hours, but if we're home, we're open.

Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD
    Shydas only ever has the powder no one uses. I did look at a 1 pound bottle of E3 for like $45. Hell no LOL

Their shtick the last few years seems heavily into shotshell ammo. They turned their upstairs clothing store into all racks of mostly shotgun ammo and whatever reloading supplies no one wants to buy.

You used to have to wait at the batcave door for someone to handcart all the bulk shit out to you, now you can pick it yourself

That's not what I experience, their price for powder and primers is less than anyone else I can find, even online.

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    That's not what I experience, their price for powder and primers is less than anyone else I can find, even online.
    Like, years ago? Or were you up there last week?

I haven’t found the stuff I use in shotshell for decent prices (anywhere) if it’s ever available, red dot, claydot, clays.

I thought im probably totally wrong and checked shydas website again and it still look like the lack of inventory during Covid, stuff no one likes. Green dot and Nobel sport primers. Pound of E3 $51 LOL

I’ve just been going up the past few years and buying flats

Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD
    Like, years ago? Or were you up there last week?

I haven’t found the stuff I use in shotshell for decent prices (anywhere) if it’s ever available, red dot, claydot, clays.

I thought im probably totally wrong and checked shydas website again and it still look like the lack of inventory during Covid, stuff no one likes. Green dot and Nobel sport primers. Pound of E3 $51 LOL

I’ve just been going up the past few years and buying flats

Alliant powders have gone out of sight everywhere, pretty much only using Hodgdon now, I'm waiting for Titewad to come back in stock and then make a trip up there, a month ago when they had Titewad it was 30 to 40 bucks cheaper for an 8lb container than online. If I did not load 1oz for my old guns would just buy flats right now.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    and that's the right attitude! leisurely drive down, get some good food at a local (unchained) restaurant, visit us and some other LGS's in the area, then head back. remember to call first as we don't have set hours, but if we're home, we're open.
    Might have to look into that soon. Do you guys have weekend opportunities at all? I'm good for the moment on everything but shot. I still have 3500 primers left (500 Win 209 and 3000 Federal 209s) and a bunch of wads, but the wads will probably dry up next after the shot. (half a bag left)

last night there was a shooter who heavily suggested that I start using more factory loads as a means to see if my scores improve, but now that I have my reloader dialed in and figured out, I don't really see the need to do that - right now, as long as I have supplies, it's WAY more economical to shoot reloads than to buy flats of shells.

Between the missus and I, we burned through 5 boxes of shells last night - that's half a flat every outing. Why buy ammo when I have wads, primers and powder to spare?

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    Reclaimed shot someone got from one source was the only thing I ever noticed missing some targets and really only at distance. He even filtered out the junk again himself after he got the reclaimed lead and it still shot like shit at longer distance (sporting clay presentations) versus dropping in a factory load or reloads with new shot doing the exact same target

My barrels have more unburnt powder in reloads but that’s just because of my sub par loading I guess, if I loaded with a hotter pressure it would probably help

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    I did ok last night - I shot 15, 20 and 20 - last round was a speed round.

The first round I don't know what happened - I was absolutely crushing and nailed the first 12 or 13 before I dropped a bird. After that, I couldn't seem to get back on track for the remainder of the round. The first half it was like I couldn't miss. The second half it was like I couldn't hit.

In any case, I don't think it's the reloads I'm using. I think if I'm on, I'm going to hit pretty well regardless.

Medusa Joe

Industry Partner
    May 28, 2020
    Hollywood, MD
    Might have to look into that soon. Do you guys have weekend opportunities at all? I'm good for the moment on everything but shot. I still have 3500 primers left (500 Win 209 and 3000 Federal 209s) and a bunch of wads, but the wads will probably dry up next after the shot. (half a bag left)

last night there was a shooter who heavily suggested that I start using more factory loads as a means to see if my scores improve, but now that I have my reloader dialed in and figured out, I don't really see the need to do that - right now, as long as I have supplies, it's WAY more economical to shoot reloads than to buy flats of shells.

Between the missus and I, we burned through 5 boxes of shells last night - that's half a flat every outing. Why buy ammo when I have wads, primers and powder to spare?
    yes, we do have weekend hours. we're around this weekend (feb 24-25) usually between 9am-5pm saturday and 10am-4pm sunday. next weekend (march 1-4) we are out of town. text us when you plan to come: 301-863-6786.

BTW, what shot are you using? #7.5, #8 or #9? we have 2ea bags of #7.5 and 1ea bag of #8 shot left. guy came in yesterday and bought up a few bags of shot, wads & primers.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    yes, we do have weekend hours. we're around this weekend (feb 24-25) usually between 9am-5pm saturday and 10am-4pm sunday. next weekend (march 1-4) we are out of town. text us when you plan to come: 301-863-6786.

BTW, what shot are you using? #7.5, #8 or #9? we have 2ea bags of #7.5 and 1ea bag of #8 shot left. guy came in yesterday and bought up a few bags of shot, wads & primers.
    Right now I'm using #7.5 at 1-1/8 oz, but I'm thinking of moving to #8 at 1 oz as a means of mitigating recoil a touch for my wife, although she seems to be tolerating the 1-1/8 oz ok for the moment. Either will do though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom