• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cal68

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 4, 2014
    Montgomery County
    I am in the market for my first shotgun. I've read a large number of threads and posts on MDS replying to questions from first time buyers of shotguns and I know what makes/models of shotguns are generally recommended on this forum. So I want to go shopping this weekend and would like to identify one or two IP's (preferably one) who not only have a good selection of pump action and semi-automatic shotguns (Remington, Mossberg, Benelli, etc.), but more importantly, can also give me unbiased advice and help me choose the most appropriate shotgun for me.

I live in Northern Montgomery County, so I would prefer IP's that are relatively close to me. However, if there is an IP 50-75 miles away who has the best selection of shotguns around here, I'm prepared to make the trek.

Any suggestions on IP's that I should contact/visit would be much appreciated,

Thanks for your help.

Cal68

justsand

Ultimate Member
    Jul 14, 2010
    monrovia md
    I would say bass pro just to hold a few they have a larger selection then alot of local guys but don't try on the weekends. Then pick your fav IP and have them order the one you like.

Selene

Nov 18, 2012
    Green top in VA. Best selection I have ever seen. Best place to handle stuff by far. Its in Ashland by bass pro. As long as you arent buying a tacticool shotgun you can buy it there no problem. Definately worth the drive.

Cal68

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 4, 2014
    Montgomery County
    Hi All

Thanks for all your responses. In response to a question from Redcobra, I plan to use the shotgun for HD. I also liked Justsand's suggestion to go to Bass Pro Shops and check out a few of them before ordering one through an IP. My only problem is that it is difficult for me to get out there during the week, and I know from experience that it is really tough to even get a parking spot at the mall on weekends! I'll have to look up the other three recommendations as I am not familiar with any of them.

Thanks again guys, your help is very much appreciated.

Cal68

gunone

MDS Supporter
    Sep 9, 2011
    MD
    Hi All

Thanks for all your responses. In response to a question from Redcobra, I plan to use the shotgun for HD. I also liked Justsand's suggestion to go to Bass Pro Shops and check out a few of them before ordering one through an IP. My only problem is that it is difficult for me to get out there during the week, and I know from experience that it is really tough to even get a parking spot at the mall on weekends! I'll have to look up the other three recommendations as I am not familiar with any of them.

Thanks again guys, your help is very much appreciated.

Cal68

Bass Pro opens at 9 on the weekends, an hour before the rest of the mall. Plenty of parking at that time.

Overboost44

6th gear
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 10, 2013
    Kent Island
    Since BP is inconvenient, I suggest going to Atlantic Guns in Silver Spring. they had quite a selection of HD guns when I was last there. Not an IP, but I don't see any others.

Aamdskeetshooter

Ultimate Member
    Dec 19, 2013
    Moco
    What about Dick's Sporting Goods in Frederick or Gaithersburg. Not an IP but a reasonably good selection. If you go to gaithersburg you can swing by Engage Armament on the way there. Atlantic guns is close too. They're usually expensive. Another place I like better than Atlantic is United Gun Shop in Rockville.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cal68

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 4, 2014
    Montgomery County
    What about Dick's Sporting Goods in Frederick or Gaithersburg. Not an IP but a reasonably good selection. If you go to gaithersburg you can swing by Engage Armament on the way there. Atlantic guns is close too. They're usually expensive. Another place I like better than Atlantic is United Gun Shop in Rockville.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I will be visiting Engage Armament this weekend. Nate from Engage Armament responded almost immediately to a message from me and told me that they have a good selection of shotguns and he would be happy to help me figure out what would make the most sense for me to purchase.

My only experience at Dick's Sporting Goods in Gaithersburg was not a good one in that the kid in charge did not know very much about firearms and was not able to provide me with any advice. On the other hand, my experience at Bass Pro Sports at Arundel Mills mall has been quite good in that all the guys who have helped me there clearly knew enough to make recommendations based on facts.

Cal68

STeveZ

Thank you, Abelard
    Sep 22, 2011
    Aberdeen, MD
    Bass Pro at Arundel Mills is pretty close.

If you travel to Richmond there is a Bass Pro and Green Top near each other.

If you travel to PA you pass the Harrisburg Bass Pro on your way to Shyda's. You might extend that journey to include the massive Cabela's in Hamburg.

Miller's in New Castle, DE and Cabela's are right off I-95.

Last edited:

Cal68

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 4, 2014
    Montgomery County
    Bass Pro at Arundel Mills is pretty close.

If you travel to Richmond there is a Bass Pro and Green Top near each other.

If you travel to PA you pass the Harrisburg Bass Pro on your way to Shyda's. You might extend that journey to include the massive Cabela's in Hamburg.

Miller's in New Castle, DE and Cabela's are right off I-95.

Hi Steve

I will visit Bass Pro in Arundel Mills and perhaps the Cabela's in DE even though I prefer to purchase in MD so that I do not have to pay FFL fees on top of the fees for the shotgun. Richmond is too far away for me. Thanks for your input.

Cal68

501st

Ultimate Member
    Jun 16, 2011
    Engage Armament and United Gun Shop are the better options in Montgomery County.

Cal68

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 4, 2014
    Montgomery County
    Engage Armament and United Gun Shop are the better options in Montgomery County.

You simply can't go wrong with Engage.

I will be visiting Engage Armament tomorrow. As I mentioned in an earlier posting, I exchanged a couple of E-Mails with Nate and he told me that they have a good collection of shotguns including some of the ones that come highly recommended on MDS.

Cal68

Selene

Nov 18, 2012
    I could be wrong but I think shotguns are cash-and-carry from adjoining states.

They are. The exception is some places wont sell tacticool shotguns cash and carry. But all field/sporting/normal hd are cash and carry

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    lsmitty67

Latest threads

Top Bottom