• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 1Shifter

Sep 9, 2013
    Hey Guys,
    Recently I had three unwanted guests lurking around my house, banging on the door in what I am sure was an attempt to get me outside. Anyway in addition to adding acouple of security lights I decided to upgrade my home security system. I bought a IAC Hawk that I'm going to pickup from Bob's Tuesday, I'm not thrilled with having a Chinese knock-off but I needed something cheap (which it is). I live in a single home, no really close neighbors and no one in the house except me and the wife. My questions are (1) what type of ammo is most suitable for my situation and (2) what is your opinion of the IAC Hawk?. I apologize for the ramble but I haven't shot a shotgun since I was a teenager and have never had a urge to own one. With a couple of armed home invasions I had to face reality.
    Mosins are nice but not the best choice for H/D:)

Fishguy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2009
    Montgomery County
    Check this thread out. While your question (regarding best shotgun ammo for HD) has been asked numerous times on MDS, this thread was posted fairly recently and addressed by a fair number of members.
    http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=144665

As for your question about the IAC Hawk, I don't know what that is so I can't comment on it. I will throw my .02 in and also recommend taking a look at Maverick 88 by Mossberg as a inexpensive HD shotgun. They can be had for around $200 from Walmart and barrels and accessories made for the Mossberg 500 (and there are a metric buttload of accessories on the market for the Mossberg 500) will also fit/work on the Maverick 88.

Also, who said Mosin's are no good for HD?:D I cannot imagine any home invading thug with the grapes to stand his ground in the face of a bayonet charge from a Mosin wielding home owner.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    Lots of opinions on shot size, with #4 Buckshot and heavier all having fans. There are pros and cons for each that you can read up on. But whatever else you decide upon, decide to take that new gun out and shoot it. Shoot it often. Shoot it until it's second nature to you. Find out how it patterns and how it performs. There's no substitute for that, and that applies with any home defense choice. Good luck!

1Shifter

Sep 9, 2013
    Thanks Guys

I appreciate the imput. I know it's a complicated subject with lots of opinions and that's what I wanted. Thanks for the link too, I never considered fields of fire, construction etc. Lots to learn and yes I plan on going out with it as soon as this crappy weather breaks.
    It's a shame that we have to live like this, I grew up in St.Marys (I'm 55) and this was never too big of a concern. Hell the only reason we had guns was to hunt or plink with.

lsw

לא לדרוך עליי
    Sep 2, 2013
    I have an H&R Pardner Protector, which is built by the same Chinese manufacturer as the IAC Hawk and the NEF-branded Pardners. They are close copies of the Remington 870 with the major difference being the barrel lug is closer to the muzzle on the Chinese guns. Most other parts are interchangeable with the 870. Reviews on Youtube and the usual web sites and forums very favorable for both lines and the NEF-branded Pardners too, with the occasional bad review like any other firearm. Does yours have the ghost ring sights?

My own has been reliable and is built like a tank. It's absolutely necessary to practice and familiarize yourself with the weapon's operation if you are serious about relying on it for HD. Drilling with birdshot is cheap but be sure to use your chosen HD round too. It will kick noticeably more.

#4 will penetrate a little less than 00 and has 27 pellets vs 9, but at inside-the-house distances, spread and pattern are not really going to be a consideration. Even with 18 inch barrel and open choke, the pellets will all strike withing a few inches. There are some reduced power buckshot loads that would be good choices if your concerned about penetration with your home's layout.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    I appreciate the imput. I know it's a complicated subject with lots of opinions and that's what I wanted. Thanks for the link too, I never considered fields of fire, construction etc. Lots to learn and yes I plan on going out with it as soon as this crappy weather breaks.
    It's a shame that we have to live like this, I grew up in St.Marys (I'm 55) and this was never too big of a concern. Hell the only reason we had guns was to hunt or plink with.

You're right sir! It is a shame. It's a damned shame. But what would be more of a shame (for me personally....each man or woman must visit alone in good conscience) would be an inability to stop a life endangering threat to one's family or one's self that I didn't want, didn't ask for, didn't wish to have forced upon me or mine, and couldn't otherwise avoid or negate. The time for that sort of contemplation is well in advance of an event that you'll hopefully never have to experience.

Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    in the bowels of Baltimore
    Lots of opinions on shot size, with #4 Buckshot and heavier all having fans. There are pros and cons for each that you can read up on. But whatever else you decide upon, decide to take that new gun out and shoot it. Shoot it often. Shoot it until it's second nature to you. Find out how it patterns and how it performs. There's no substitute for that, and that applies with any home defense choice. Good luck!

Good!

1Shifter - Have your wife shoot it, as well and know these rules...

All guns are always loaded.
    Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

MikeTF

Ultimate Member
    Regardless of all of the stuff you read and the endless hours of agonizing that you may or may not spend on this, be certain of one thing: when the moment of truth comes, make sure you have the fortitude to pull the trigger.

When I see all of the tooth gnashing that goes on over what type of gun/ammo, I can't help but think: 'geeze what's going to happen when you've got to react quickly? Paralysis through analysis?

If you're on a budget, buy a Walmart Mossberg knock off pump shotgun and several boxes of 00 buck or slugs (shooting at a patterning board will reveal there's not much difference for many home shooting distances, besides slugs may not penetrate a ballistic vest with plating, but they sure as will feel like they did).

Blackstar65

Ultimate Member
    Jun 27, 2010
    Consider the Federal 00 LE loads with the flight control wad. They have a pretty tight pattern even out to 25 yards. But if your backstop isn't good don't take the shot.

Mega

Wolverine
    Feb 18, 2009
    Lewes, DE
    This is what I have.

Attachments

• critical-defense-00-buckshot.jpg
      critical-defense-00-buckshot.jpg
      7.8 KB · Views: 287

chooks9

Bear with Arms
    Jan 3, 2013
    Abingdon
    I used to use a mix of no. 2 and no.4 tungsten/copper plated buckshot when I lived in a condo. Today, I use no 5 or 6 high brass with a modified choke.

Sirex