• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Yoboney

Sep 2, 2008
    I have told a man who has a family member that has seemingly come unglued a bit to remove his firearms from the home just in case the police need to be called on the other family member for an episode. I told him that in Maryland that if the police come and determine that said person is out of touch with reality that they may look around the home and remove the other family member's(the sane person's) firearms even though they should not be touched.I always believe in caution to protect the firearms, What do you guys think?

13mogul

Ultimate Member
    Jan 23, 2009
    Without knowing the precise situation, I don't know what to tell you. But protecting the firearms from improper 'use' is something we should all practice as second nature.

Spot77

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2005
    Anne Arundel County
    Tough call. I'd hate to leave the man defenseless by taking all of the firearms away.

If he has a robust collection, based on what you've said here I think it would be wise to protect them and have them stored someplace else, possibly leaving one handgun locked up in a well hidden place.

Punchabearinnamouf

High Tech Redneck
    Apr 11, 2009
    Hollywood, MD
    Tough call. I'd hate to leave the man defenseless by taking all of the firearms away.

If he has a robust collection, based on what you've said here I think it would be wise to protect them and have them stored someplace else, possibly leaving one handgun locked up in a well hidden place.

I'd have to agree with Spot here.
    Better safe than sorry.

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    The sad thing is, if the guy removes his guns and prevents the family member from doing anything, the gun owners actions will probably not be mentioned or commented on in a positive action.

Yoboney

Sep 2, 2008
    Does he have a safe? If not, he should probably buy one and load her up. That would ensure some safety from the disenfranchised individual, yet the police then might still take them for 'safety'.

He only has a handgun safe and he has a robust collection. He keeps his guns at his family member's home where he resides. But because of possible paranoid schizophrenia in another family member he believes he may have to have leo involvement. He is apprehensive about the situation. I would just hate for him to keep them all there and then if the police come they see a bunch of stuff and take it because of the other family member's problems. I understand where he is coming from. He was thinking about renting a storage space for a while and I honestly can't tell him an answer about storing guns in one of those units. We all read stories about police confiscating guns and then the people playing hell getting them back.

Yoboney

Sep 2, 2008

That sounds like the best idea to me. I will have to tell him. He has lived nearby for years. I really feel for the guy.

Johnthetoolguy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 4, 2009
    Pasadena
    He was thinking about renting a storage space for a while and I honestly can't tell him an answer about storing guns in one of those units. We all read stories about police confiscating guns and then the people playing hell getting them back.

I have a storage space I rent, and I remember in my contract it stated no firearms or explosives...........
    besides, if someone were to see him put firearms in a storage space, I doubt they would still be there on the next trip back.

13mogul

Ultimate Member
    Jan 23, 2009
    Tell the guy to move!!!!
    Unfortunately the law does not favour gun owners in this kind of a situation. We are being chased out of society and have NO recourse if some crazy MF uses our guns to commit a crime. Practice safety, but practice avoiding such situations before anything else.

Yoboney

Sep 2, 2008
    Tell the guy to move!!!!
    Unfortunately the law does not favour gun owners in this kind of a situation. We are being chased out of society and have NO recourse if some crazy MF uses our guns to commit a crime. Practice safety, but practice avoiding such situations before anything else.

I fully agree. His family member seems to be really out of it lately. I saw her. I was going to ask him if he wanted me to put them at my place. He has a storage locker somewhere but was concerned about humidity and such endangering the firearms but he is afraid if the lady has to be taken out by the police that they may confiscate his guns so he is very apprehensive and we all know nowadays that if you have more than one gun it is an arsenal. :sad20:

kralizec

May 1, 2008
    Northeast
    Sad as it is, he should move his stuff. The rantings of the mentally ill are all it would take for his firearms to be seized.

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    Move, Schmove.

With a "robust" collection, he should have them stored in a safe or at least a RSC(Residiential Security Container) regardless of the location where he stores the firearms. The chance of theft or misuse is equal in almost any location thanks to the rise of burgalries, B&E, home invasions and theft by known persons.

Oldcarjunkie

R.I.P
    Jan 8, 2009
    A.A county

I Agree.
    Also, If he needs a temp situation in a hurry, he can put them in a Gang box i have in the garage. Locked gangbox in 3 car garage with cars parked in front of doors and almost always someone here

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    A commercial storage locker is a poor choice. If no other trusted relatives available , then he needs a good safe. If the collection is 'robust' he might have to liquidate one or two of least irreplacable to protect the rest.

In the past when I've had contractors at the house, I've disassembled my collection and took the small bits that neuter the firearm with me in a gun case and put that in the trunk of my car. I left registered items at home while taking things like bolts, slides, etc. I had to do it this way because I frequently government property at work.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Thieves don't stop to examine each gun. You'll just be left with a bolt W/o gun, or vice versa. You need to proctect the whole thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ramseye

Latest threads

Top Bottom