• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • natsb

Ultimate Member
    Sep 18, 2013
    southern MD
    I got a safe last Black Friday. It did not come with an internal power connection. So I am wondering it adding power is worth while.

I know I need lights and humidity control, but both of those are available with battery power. So I am looking for experiences with battery versus electrical power devices to determine if it is worthwhile to install an outlet.

If the best route is to add power to the safe, what is the best method? I have the Field and Stream 32+6 safe from Dick's. I understand it is made by Stack-On. Is the Stack-On kit worthwhile?
    yhst-14628535264555_2269_2000058

I can buy the individual parts cheaper, except for I can't seem to find a source for the fire expanding grommet. Is there something else I can use to maintain the fire rating?

ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    I like to have power in the safe for a golden rod (humidity control). Not sure if there is a battery option for that which is as good, could be now though since I haven't looked at it in years. Been very happy with the golden rod though.

Lights can be battery now and that is what I did also.

I don't like the size of that box just to put power into the safe. I see it taking up $$ room and also possible damaging a stock it it's mounted in a bad place.

In the end, the golden rod cord will slide though the same hole for that cord and it has a clip on prong to then plug into the wall. That is the way I went and would do again.

webb297

Ultimate Member
    Dec 29, 2010
    Bowie
    I use a couple of these lights from Lowes:

http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay...gId=10051&cmRelshp=req&rel=nofollow&cId=PDIO1

They are quite bright, you can adjust the direction of the light, and the are magnetic - you just put their little metal circle in your safe and the light sticks to it. You can take it down and move it around to look at stuff, then put it right back.

I also use a rechargeable dehumidifier - works great, and you don't have to worry about getting power to the safe.

Dave21042

Feb 17, 2012
    Ellicott City, MD
    I ran a small 2 wire extension cord by cutting the end off feeding it through the safe and connecting a new plug on the end. The cord on the dehumidifier was not long enough. This will give you 3 plugs in the safe if you ever need them too.

For a light I put a motion activated lights with led from Rite-Aid as seen on TV isle.

Bootknife

Ultimate Member
    I powered both of mine , I mounted the Box High in the Front of the safe ,Split the Duplex Outlet ... Toggle Switched one for the 18' Rope Light and the Other Hot Outlet takes care of the Golden Rod. works well for Me! The Other I used a roller MicroSwitch to turn on the Rope Light and the hot side powers the Goldenrod.

Jan 2, 2013
    California, MD
    Just finished wiring my Winchester 24 gun today. On Amazon I paid right around $50 for everything I needed. Get the led spool of lights from overseas for about $25 with power adapter and dimmer switch included, magnetic door switch, and the ends used to splice the cut ends together. This is all over youtube so its real easy. A trip to Lowes for a junction box and extension cord end and your all set. I am also running a dry rod off the power which was the main reason I ran power inside. Looks great and I am extreamly happy with the outcome. Total time spent was about an hour. Good luck.

xdmdude

Oct 1, 2011
    Either way, congrats on the new safe. I like the battery options personally, but I have smaller safes.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    For larger safes yes, and a few come pre-wired, or have a grommet to run wires without drilling for lights, or a goldenrod heater, I would still run a rechargeable dessicant dehumidifier. For smaller safes a battery powered LED light and rechargeable dehumidifier work.

Pwilliams1

Apr 25, 2013
    I would like power in mine, but get by with a couple led strips I got from lowes. They're battery operated and somewhat adjustable directionally.

Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    Mine were wired from the factory with lights and outlet. I assumed that they all were. I couldn't imagine a safe without it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom